For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
mrmoogie's profile

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 6th, 2022 11:09 PM

Porting out of AT&T Business Account

I'm trying to port a number out of an AT&T business account but I'm finding it an impossible task.  AT&T business state they don't require or provide a transfer PIN but T-Mobile require one.  The port process fails and I'm asked to provide a PIN, which of course AT&T will not provide.

Can someone please help. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

At&t  has a rather odd way of doing things.  Many odd ways of many things. 

Maybe other carriers do it this way as well, I don't know. But I do know that this is how AT&T does things. 

You will first have to have the business released the phone number to you and you'll have to open a personal postpaid account. If you talk to AT&T they may be able to explain to you the best way of proceeding with the understanding that this is temporary and you're going to try to port out to a different service provider as soon as possible. If you manage to get everything done in under three days you may not get charged much.

Once you have your own postpaid personal account, then you can get the account number and request the port pin by dialing * port.

The port pin they give you is good for 4 days

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas 

Thank you very much for replying so quickly.

How would I get the number transferred to a postpaid account? I assume they don't require a PIN?  What about using a Prepaid SIM?  My wife has one of those and I remember when we entered the number to be ported it said the PIN was optional.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

From business to personal is an internal migration. The business has to release the number to you. They are probably going to have to initiate the transfer of billing responsibility. Whoever's the administrator of the business account should contact AT&T and ask them how to proceed. You will probably have to pass a credit check, but when it's explained you're only doing this in order to switch providers, they may help butter the wheels a little bit for you

Tutor

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

Is this still currently correct information?

I see the post was last 10 months ago and I surely hope I do not have to jump through those hoops to get this number ported to Mint.

I was able to get representative to give me a transfer pin (even though I had tried my foundation account PIN and failed) which was six digits... no dice.

Are they even going to understand what I am asking if I request to transfer the number to a post paid account?

This is making me quite salty as one last gotcha as I try to give my old mobile service provider this final goodbye.

• 

6 Messages

1 year ago

As of April 9th 2023, the process I experienced is as follows.

If you only have one phone number on your AT&T Business Plan, and so this is the number you are trying to port out, it is a huge hassle.  You will first have to close out your business plan and transfer that number to a brand new AT&T Personal plan, which requires hours on the phone or at the store.  It also requires your social security number, drivers license number, and that you have un-frozen all three of the credit reporting agencies ahead of time (TransUnion, Experian, Equifax) if you have a freeze on them.  My understanding of the process is that, once this happens, you then do a normal port-out from the newly-established AT&T Personal plan.  I was not able to get to this step, because I had not un-frozen my credit reports at the three aforementioned agencies.  I ended up walking out of the store with the phone number no longer receiving calls (straight through to voice mail) and a lot of apologies and nobody knows what happened or how to fix it.  Super lame.

If you have more than one line on your AT&T Business Plan, and the number you are porting out is not the only remaining number on that business plan, then it's easy:  You simply supply the new carrier with your AT&T Business Account Number (not the foundation account number) and the FAN PIN, and in my experience porting out two separate AT&T Business numbers to Google Voice, this port takes exactly 24 hours even on a weekend.

• 

4 Messages

11 months ago

We have 2 business lines and want to port out BOTH business lines to a different carrier. Would we then supply the new carrier with our AT&T Business Account Number and the FAN PIN?  

Community Support

• 

231.5K Messages

11 months ago

The carrie will advise what information is needed. Kathy S

AT&T Business Social Media

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

We have 2 business lines and want to port out BOTH business lines to a different carrier. Would we then supply the new carrier with our AT&T Business Account Number and the FAN PIN?  

In my experience, if you have n AT&T business lines, and you are porting out n-1 lines, it is easy: For each line, just supply the new carrier with your AT&T Business Account Number and the pin they request will be your AT&T Business Account FAN PIN code.  It took 24 hours for this process to complete with me.

However, if you have n AT&T business lines and you are porting out all n lines, then the very last line you port out will become quite a process, as I decribed above.  Probably because having zero lines effectively closes out your AT&T Business Account.  For this last line, you will need to create a brand new temporary AT&T Personal account, into which you will transfer this last Business line, and once that is done, you will then port it out to your new carrier from that new Personal account.  Creating the temporary AT&T Personal Account requires you supply driver's license, social security number, and a credit check is run so you will need to have previously un-frozen any freeze / hold you have for your credit report with all three of the credit reporting agencies.  Note that with the amount of credit card and social security number fraud this day in age, you would be crazy not already to have your credit reporting capabilities frozen on all three.

• 

4 Messages

11 months ago

Thank you! Very helpful info. Did the phones need to be unlocked before moving to a different carrier? Not getting good answers from ATT. I appreciate you sharing your experience.

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

I don't know that one.  It would be my guess that if the phone is SIM-locked to AT&T, there is no way in (Edited per community guidelines) they're going to let you just port it off to some other competing network, without first SIM-unlocking the phone by either finishing off its contract AND requesting and waiting for the SIM unlock process to complete, or by paying the early contract termination and SIM-unlock fee (and waiting for it to complete).  Carriers SIM-lock phones precisely to keep people from porting them over to another network before.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.