li37sa's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Sep 17, 2015 5:33 PM

Phone upgrade options

how is it possible for ATT to charge $30 a month just to get a new phone? What happened to being able to purchase on eoutright for $100-$200 when you were available for an upgrade? Thats ridiculous and I will be switching companies. Absolutely outrageous.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

6 y ago

You were always paying for your phone, but the prices have gotten to be very high so all carriers are separating service from phones.

Look at Verizon, or T-Mobile.  And Sprint says it switching by the end of the year to no contracts.

Your options are full price, 2 year contract or Next financing.  In each case, you will pay for the phone. 

Example:

Full retail $649 plus sales tax

Next $649
Upgrade fee $15
Sales tax due up front

2 year contract for Mobile Share plans over 10 GBS
Upgrade fee $45
Discount phone price $199
Loss of discount for 24 months $600
- total $844

2 Year contract for Mobile Share plans under 10 GBS
Upgrade fee $45
Discounted phone price $199
Loss of discount for 24 months $360
- total $604

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hello @li37sa

Thank you for reaching out to our community regarding your upgrade questions.

Sounds like the $30.00 a month installment plan is the AT&T Next program that allows you to pay full price for the device over either 12,18 or 24 months. Please click here for more information about the AT&T Next program.

You certainly have the option to pay full price for the device as that has not changed.

If you are wanting to upgrade via a 2 year agreement and do not have the option via your AT&T online account to do so, please call 1-866-662-4548 to place the order.

Hope this helps!

Charise

bamp

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

6 y ago

But you cannot purchase an ATT phone outright without a plan, I tried to purchase a 6s Plus to use on gophone and was told I could not!

Busternutt

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

6 y ago

@li37sa wrote:

how is it possible for ATT to charge $30 a month just to get a new phone? What happened to being able to purchase on eoutright for $100-$200 when you were available for an upgrade? Thats ridiculous and I will be switching companies. Absolutely outrageous.

Good luck with the "other" companies. They have all done the same thing. Verizon calls it "Edge". Sprint will "lease" you a phone for a few dollars less per month, but you will never own it. T-Mobile still has some deals, but their service leaves a lot to be desired.

bamp

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

6 y ago

Tmobile service is bad inAR, no coverage. When roaming (on ATT) no data usage, can't do anything but talk.

bamp

Scholar

• 

77 Messages

6 y ago

You checked new phone prices lately?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

Is the "Upgrade fee" a one time fee at purchase?  The salesman at the att store told me I only pay sales tax up front on the "next" plans, nothing else. No mention of an "Upgrade fee".

When I log into the my att app it tells me I'm eligible for an upgrade and shows me both next and 2 year contract options for different iphone models only.  No samsung galaxy or anything else.  I'm looking for an andriod phone.

The salesman at att told me I can get a samsung galaxy or a lg andriod under next only, no 2 year contract deal.  I'm getting slightly different information from every corner.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.7K Messages

6 y ago

this is straight from the ATT site

Capture.JPG

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

6 y ago

@rtm314

The upgrade fee for Next is $15 one time fee.

2 year contract upgrade fee is $45

Depending on the size of your data plan, Next may be the cheaper option.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 y ago

So there is always an additional $45 on a two year contract purchase.

For example, glimmerman showed the phone above is 249.99 (plus sales tax) with a 2 year contract:

You're saying when I go to an ATT store I will actually pay a total of 294.99 for that phone with a 2 year contract commitment?  Two salesmen I spoke with since yesterday did not indicate that. I was very specific hashing numbers for the total cost.  I did not see an upgrade fee 2 years ago, is that new?

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

6 y ago

The upgrade fee is charged to your bill. . It isn't new, it was $40 2
years ago.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

22.7K Messages

6 y ago

@rtm314 wrote:

So there is always an additional $45 on a two year contract purchase.

For example, glimmerman showed the phone above is 249.99 (plus sales tax) with a 2 year contract:

You're saying when I go to an ATT store I will actually pay a total of 294.99 for that phone with a 2 year contract commitment?  Two salesmen I spoke with since yesterday did not indicate that. I was very specific hashing numbers for the total cost.  I did not see an upgrade fee 2 years ago, is that new?

The other thing to remember is most stores cant sell you a phone on a 2 year contract it has to be done online or the store can order it for you.  That is where the disconnect is coming in....  Just order the phone online and save yourself some trouble.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

Im wanting to upgrade but with the new installment payment program or paying the full pop of the phone , I still think they old way of paying 200 for a a phone and two year commitment to at&t is better , not increasing on your monthly bill to make it higher or paying the price of a used car for a phone of $794 which does not include connection fee.Sounds like corporate bottom line goal !!
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.