Help for account, billing & more
Lookerjdc's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Fri, Sep 13, 2019 6:58 PM

Phone upgrade - lied to by ATT

I recently contacted ATT re upgrading my phone.  I told them when I signed up agrarian ago that I told them I wanted the ability to upgrade my phone yearly.  And when I tried to upgrade online I was told I had to pay an additional $580 to do so

i have included below the transcript of the online chat I had with 2 people (the 2nd person was a manager, or so I was told

——————-

AT&T: Welcome to AT&T Chat. While we connect you to an agent, please share how we can help you today?

Me: i have an iPhone xrmax and when I signed up last year I told them I wanted the plan with the ability to upgrade my phone yearly if I chose to... I checked my upgrade eligibility and it says I have to pay an additional $580 on top of the $576 I have paid in installments???

Me: If I chose to switch carriers, what would the cost be?

Harry Moore: Hi! My name is Harry Moore. I'm happy to help! Let's get started.

Harry Moore: Please give me a moment to review your request.

Harry Moore: Jeff, we do not wish to loose valued customer like you please be assured I will provide you best resolution on upgrade

Harry Moore: Jeff, I see your device is under 30 months installment and currently you are on 12th of 30th months installment and you pay $48.34 / mo

Harry Moore: so as per the contract policy you will be able to upgrade your device only after completing 25th installment of 30

Harry Moore: So the charge $579.91 if you pay this it will cover installments up to 25th months and you will be eligible for upgrade it

Harry Moore: But no worries I am checking other options for you

Me: That makes no sense... if I signed up for a plan to upgrade yearly, you are basically telling me that I can’t without a heavy penalty

Harry Moore: No this is not penalty however the mobile cost instead we are not even charing you other 5th installment payments, let me check other better options

Me: i signed up to upgrade yearly and you are telling me I have to wait until the 25th month????

Harry Moore: That is correct because the yearly upgrade comes with 24 months installment however you have 30 months installment plan

Harry Moore: I am checking other options

Harry Moore: Which will be better without any charges

Me: ok... let’s see what you can offer....

Harry Moore: Thank you.

Harry Moore: Please allow me a moment to check this for you.

Me: ok

Harry Moore: Thank you.

Harry Moore: Jeff, I am sorry to inform you that you won't be able to upgrade until and unless you pay up till 25th month or wait since you are on the 30 months plans, but I am transferring tis chat to manager for further details

Harry Moore has left the chat

You are being transferred, please hold...

Agent Adam enters chat

Adam: Hi! My name is Adam. I'm happy to help! Please give me a moment to review your request.

Adam: Yes, you opted for the 30-month installment plan hence won't be able to upgrade now. Please pay off the device balance or pay to upgrade for device eligibility.

Me: When I signed up I told them I wanted to be able to upgrade yearly if I chose to (12 months)

Jeff: now I a, being told that I can’t upgrade until the 25th month??????

Adam: Yes, it was on the 24-month installment and you are on the 30-month installment plan

Me: so basically I was lied to regarding yearly upgrades....

Adam: I understand

Me: So, I don’t appreciate being lied to and I find that totally unacceptable

Adam: I agree

Adam: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Jeff: Ummm.... so I have no options other than bending over and accepting no other resolution other than bad press or legal action.. is that what you are telling me? I’ve been lied to and that’s the end of the conversation?

Jeff: whats it going to cost to drop ATT?

Adam: Just the remaining device installment balance plus service used so far.

Adam: Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Me: No... I guess you’ve lost me as a customer....

Adam: I am sorry to hear that

Me: glad to know it’s ok for ATT to lie to customers

Adam: I understand

Me: i will,be changing carriers and either go to small claims court and/or contact members of the press

Adam: I am sorry to hear that

Me: i am speechless

Adam: I completely understand

Me: so it’s going to cost me another $576 to,drop ATT?

Adam: I am afraid yes

Me: o

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.4K Messages

2 y ago

signed up agrarian ago

Assume you meant a year ago. Apparently, telling them you wanted the ability to upgrade early was not clear enough since they put you on the 30 month installment plan. What you wanted was the 24 month Next plan, that would have allowed you to upgrade after 12 months. That should have been straightened out a year ago because the 30 month plan does require 24 payments before you can upgrade. Since that time, they have now discontinued the 24 month plan. Any new phone you buy now on an installment plan will be 30 payments. For what it’s worth, I doubt you were lied to a year ago, there was just a serious communication gap.

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

2 y ago

When you sign a installment agreement, the terms of the agreement are spelled out for you.  The agreements were called next every year, or next 24. That meant you could upgrade early every year or 50%, or after 24 payments or 80%.  

The time to catch the error was at the time of purchase last year. There is nothing that can be done now. So your options are; you can sell your current device and see how much you can get for it, then pay off your installment and buy the new phone. That tends to work very well with iPhones, because they’re worth more than 50% of their value one year after release.    I highly recommend Swappa if you go that route.    Or you could pay out what you owe on the phone and upgrade and keep the second phone and had it down to somebody else on your account. Your choice. 

And here’s the reason you might want to take my options and run with one of them rather than trade in your phone and deal with AT&T for your next purchase. As of sometime in the middle of 2019 AT&T discontinued it’s next every year purchase option. The new next plans charge an extra five dollars a month for 15 months if you want to upgrade early. There is no yearly option anymore.

However you could go to Apple and use their upgrade program and purchase through them every year, with AppleCare plus with loss and theft, which is much better insurance than what is offered through the carriers. (Asurion)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 y ago

Same thing happened to me. I’ve been on the same Next installment plan for 6 years, upgrade every year when the new phone comes out. I sign on to discover that my agreement now shows 30 months and a payoff of $791, I was stunned. Chat and phone calls were useless, and I never received any terms and conditions emailed to me, only what I chose at checkout which was the same plan I’ve had every year - a simple check of my prior plans shows they’ve all been upgraded at 12 months. 

This also happened to my friend, so I have to assume they’ve rolled people into these new 30 month plans since they phased out the old plans, and did it without consent, which is wrong. Just because they phased out those plans this year does not mean they don’t honor them for those who signed up under those plans a year ago. They have lost me as a customer, I signed up with Verizon, got a new phone, porting my number over and selling the one I currently have to pay it off with AT&T. 

AT&T should be ashamed, not only for doing something so shady but for not at least making a decent attempt to keep their good customers, they certainly didn’t try very hard with me or my friend, seems they didn’t here either. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.7K Messages

2 y ago

@Ashes20 wrote:

Same thing happened to me. I’ve been on the same Next installment plan for 6 years, upgrade every year when the new phone comes out. I sign on to discover that my agreement now shows 30 months and a payoff of $791, I was stunned. Chat and phone calls were useless, and I never received any terms and conditions emailed to me, only what I chose at checkout which was the same plan I’ve had every year - a simple check of my prior plans shows they’ve all been upgraded at 12 months. 

A simple check of your prior plans doesn't mean much. Did you do a simple check of the bills you've received since upgrading? They would show how many installments you'd signed up for. 

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

2 y ago

@Ashes20 wrote:

Same thing happened to me. I’ve been on the same Next installment plan for 6 years,  whoa nelly.   Next is not continuous. It is it an installment agreement  for no more than 30 months. You are not continuously on the same installment plan for six years. 

upgrade every year when the new phone comes out. I sign on to discover that my agreement now shows 30 months and a payoff of $791, I was stunned. Chat and phone calls were useless, and I never received any terms and conditions emailed to me, only what I chose at checkout which was the same plan I’ve had every year - a simple check of my prior plans shows they’ve all been upgraded at 12 months. 
Well, there have been several changes over the years, so  you couldn’t possibly have been on the same agreement for six years. Up till now all of the agreements did have the option to upgrade after 12 months. I purchased a device installments within the past year and it was very clear how many installments I had to pay and at what dollar amount as well as the total cost of the device..  That information was sent to me by email. Even if I had not noticed before hand it was very clear in the email. 

This also happened to my friend, so I have to assume they’ve rolled people into these new 30 month plans since they phased out the old plans, and did it without consent, which is wrong.  Consent?   Why does AT&T need your consent to stop using an old installment plan and start using a new one?  As long as they don’t change the plan you were on now, which they did not, and could not they don’t need your consent. 

Just because they phased out those plans this year does not mean they don’t honor them for those who signed up under those plans a year ago. They have lost me as a customer, I signed up with Verizon, got a new phone, porting my number over and selling the one I currently have to pay it off with AT&T.   If  you upgrade every year the installment plan you are on now expired after 12 months and you took a new installment plan. 

AT&T should be ashamed, not only for doing something so shady but for not at least making a decent attempt to keep their good customers, they certainly didn’t try very hard with me or my friend, seems they didn’t here either.   

AT&T didn’t do anything shady, and anybody who already had an installment agreement did not have their agreement changed. That’s not even possible. If you signed up last year under Next every year (upgrade with trade in at 12 months)  then that’s what you have now. However the agreement starting in the middle of this year are different. If you sign up for an installment agreement now it is for a minimum of 15 months or 50%. There is also a five dollar fee per month to upgrade at 15 months.  

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

2 y ago

For the sake of everyone’s edification here is the link to how AT&T installment plans work now. If you have a phone on an existing installment plan before any changes occurred your installment plan does not change. For example one year ago the option was next every year ( 24 installments, allows you to upgrade after 12 payments or 50% ) or next 24 ( 30 installments,  allows you to upgrade after 24 payments or 80% )

Next is just a name for the installment option, it is not a “PLAN”.  Currently there is no next agreement longer than 30 months. 

https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1106686?gsi=30u0ky

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 y ago

@MicCheck I just pay it, I don’t look at the itemized bill because it doesn’t change really. I’ve never had an issue with my installments so I don’t give them much thought, only when I go to upgrade do I even see them. My point was looking at my installment history it should be pretty clear to AT&T that I do the same thing every year and would never sign up for a ridiculous 30 month plan. 

It seems pretty clear that they’ve arbitrarily changed plans on people, I’m seeing the same story repeated. Balance to pay to upgrade, the yearly plan that was originally signed up for is now suddenly a 30 month plan (why would you pay on a phone for 30 months?), all these people can’t be wrong. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

2 y ago

@lizdance40 I have enrolled in a next plan with a yearly upgrade every year for 6 years. Yes every year I trade in my phone and upgrade to a new one. I’m quite aware I don’t have a continuous plan. New phone, new plan - however every year I’ve enrolled in the same plan that allows me to upgrade every year. Last year was no different but then I went to do the upgrade yesterday only to find a 30 month plan (their current offering) and not what I signed up for with my phone upgrade back in  9/18. 

You can say whatever you’d like and are entitled to your opinion but they did in fact change the plan I enrolled into in 2018. If it was just me having this issue it would be one thing but it’s not, it’s multiple people experiencing the same thing, seems pretty questionable. 

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

2 y ago

@Ashes20   You are saying that sometime after you signed up for an installment that would allow you to upgrade yearly AT&T randomly changed it on you.  

That’s pretty easy to prove. You can see 16 months of previous bills which of course would include all 12 payments on your current installment plus 4 payments of the previous installment for the phone before that.   Each bill will show how many payments you have made and how many are left make.   ie 12 of 24 or 12 of 30.  

So if you go back to last year, you can see what installment you were put on ie payment 1 of 30.   

One year ago was the time to make the correction because when you bought the phone, they gave you paperwork that showed you how many payments you had to make in total, and what each monthly payment was, as well as the total cost of the phone.   FYI you can request a copy of last year’s receipt by calling AT&T.  

Give yourself time to gather all that information and let us know how it pans out 

If you were under the impression that just because you signed up for next every year up till now that you should automatically be put on the yearly upgrade that’s not true. Every time you buy a phone you have to determine how you are going to pay for it over time. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.