Need help understanding your bill?
kasey_j's profile

1 Message

Tuesday, January 30th, 2024 9:34 AM

Paying someone else’s bill, how much to reactivate?

My son’s phone number is linked to his dad’s account. His phone got cut off yesterday due to non-payment. I paid $200 (just a guess) through the “pay without signing in” option. My son turned his phone off and back on, but no luck. I don’t want to keep throwing money at this bill. Is there anyway I can find out the minimum amount that needs to be paid to get his phone turned back on? His dad is not an option, we’ll leave it at that. :/

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

3 months ago

Once phone service is suspended the account has to be paid to a zero balance in order to reactivate service. Unfortunately without having access to the account and knowing how much is due there is no way you can pay to $0. 

Might be time to get your son off of Dad's service if Dad is not reliable.  There's a ton of prepaid MVNOs that are very inexpensive

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

3 months ago

I agree with @formerlyknownas . If Son's phone is unlocked, it can be used on any provider. If it's not, it still should be usable on an AT&T MVNO (Cricket, etc.). @formerlyknownas Would the unpaid device policy include using it on a prepaid account?

Son will have a get a new number if service is suspended, but that's better than the alternative. The only issue would be is Dad reported Son's phone stolen and had it blacklisted. In that case, he'd have a get a new phone, but there are plenty of inexpensive smart phones he could use if he doesn't have enough money saved up.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.9K Messages

3 months ago

@MicCheck 

Unfortunately if the son's phone is activated after October of 2022, and still under installments, it cannot be used on a different AT&T account. It is carrier locked and account restricted.

That restriction would include AT&T postpaid, AT&T prepaid, and confirmed that neither cricket nor consumer cellular will allow a phone that is not paid off.

If the phone was purchased and activated before October of 2022 it may have missed being included in the unpaid device policy and may work on AT&T prepaid or at one of AT&T's many MVNOs.  

I keep recommending red pocket which gives unlimited talk and text and half a gig of data for $5 a month.  

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.