Available Now: Buy the new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max from AT&T!
Help for account, billing & more
IrritatedOldMan's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Tue, Apr 21, 2015 8:22 AM

Paper Receipt Required for Tax Records

I am a business owner who needs paper receipts for business purchases. This is required for tax purposes. There used to be a "print invoice" button on the final payment page of the GoPhone refill process (I use my sim card in my office alarm system). Why is it no longer available? I spent an hour waiting for my payment history to update so I could take a screenshot. This is not an acceptable workaround. This smacks of fixing something that isn't broken, but I've seen this on other sites as well. What's the deal? Do you people think you are saving trees when instead you are wasting your customers' time and interfering with their tax records? Put the button back, please, return to the practice of putting the paying customers' needs first, and pursue whatever agenda that influenced this ill-advised decision on your free time.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

7 y مضت

@IrritatedOldMan wrote:

I am a business owner who needs paper receipts for business purchases. This is required for tax purposes. There used to be a "print invoice" button on the final payment page of the GoPhone refill process (I use my sim card in my office alarm system). Why is it no longer available? I spent an hour waiting for my payment history to update so I could take a screenshot. This is not an acceptable workaround. This smacks of fixing something that isn't broken, but I've seen this on other sites as well. What's the deal? Do you people think you are saving trees when instead you are wasting your customers' time and interfering with their tax records? Put the button back, please, return to the practice of putting the paying customers' needs first, and pursue whatever agenda that influenced this ill-advised decision on your free time.

A bank statement showing payment to AT&T is just as good of evidence as a GoPhone receipt. 

On the other hand, there's no reason to "wait" for your payment history to update if you'd like a screen shot. Simply check back in the following day or week and get your screen shot then. 

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

7 y مضت

I hope you never get audited, because you are totally incorrect. You have to provide receipts for purchases (I can buy toys and candy at Office Depot, right?). Just because it's from AT&T, doesn't mean it's a business expense, and the IRS will want to see what you bought.

As for your "solution" of waiting a week and returning to the site, I'm at a loss. The suggestion itself illuminates a root cause of this horrible disintegration between customer and vendor. The last thing I want to do is write a note to myself (or calendar reminder, or any other variant) so I can return to this site so I can do something that I should have been able to do at the time of purchase. Doubling the required visits is not an improvement, so going back to the better way, not excusing the error, is the correct response. The only reason I'm back here now is to help you avoid trouble with the biggerst organized shakedown mob in the world (the IRS). However, while I'm here, I'll suggest that you, and the rest of the world, look to your vendors to supply fixes for the things they break, and not settle for comforting words and wholly unacceptable workarounds in community forums. This is done by going elsewhere, if possible, with your money, which I will quietly demonstrate when my remaining minutes expire.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

7 y مضت

@IrritatedOldMan wrote:

I hope you never get audited, because you are totally incorrect. You have to provide receipts for purchases (I can buy toys and candy at Office Depot, right?). Just because it's from AT&T, doesn't mean it's a business expense, and the IRS will want to see what you bought.

And just because you paid for a GoPhone doesn't mean it was a business expense. That's why I said a bank statement provides the same level of evidence as a GoPhone receipt. 

@IrritatedOldMan wrote:

As for your "solution" of waiting a week and returning to the site, I'm at a loss. The suggestion itself illuminates a root cause of this horrible disintegration between customer and vendor. The last thing I want to do is write a note to myself (or calendar reminder, or any other variant) so I can return to this site so I can do something that I should have been able to do at the time of purchase. Doubling the required visits is not an improvement, so going back to the better way, not excusing the error, is the correct response. The only reason I'm back here now is to help you avoid trouble with the biggerst organized shakedown mob in the world (the IRS). However, while I'm here, I'll suggest that you, and the rest of the world, look to your vendors to supply fixes for the things they break, and not settle for comforting words and wholly unacceptable workarounds in community forums. This is done by going elsewhere, if possible, with your money, which I will quietly demonstrate when my remaining minutes expire.

You are asking for something few people want: a GoPhone receipt. Many people choose prepaid phone expressly to avoid the "paper trail". If taking a screen print on another visit to the site it too inconvenient for you, perhaps you'd be better served by not taking the deduction on your taxes. 

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

7 y مضت

You can take the expenses for your phone off your taxes, but if you ever get audited, they will need to see how many calls were business and how many were personal and you can only deduct the business calls, so you would need the usage besides just the cost. Therefore, you would be better served having a regular plan to show which calls were business and which were personal.

Your bookkeeper probably won't care but the auditor will.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y مضت

Well, instead of going online, most of us have to spend an hour or two on the phone arguing with your customer service team to give us monthly receipts, which they don't; I think what you mean to say is that few customers come online to complain about AT&T's ways of doing business. It makes no sense that a company offering goods and services can't provide proof of purchase to consumers.  

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12K Messages

4 y مضت

@LantzSmiddy wrote:

Well, instead of going online, most of us have to spend an hour or two on the phone arguing with your customer service team to give us monthly receipts, which they don't; I think what you mean to say is that few customers come online to complain about AT&T's ways of doing business. It makes no sense that a company offering goods and services can't provide proof of purchase to consumers.  

Assuming we're still talking about prepaid service here, your payment history on the website will update. You will also see the charge on your bank statement. 

Like I said 3 years ago, most prepaid customers do not want any sort of receipt, as evidence by the fact that this thread was untouched for 3 years before someone else added their complaint. 

ACE - Sage

• 

100K Messages

4 y مضت

@LantzSmiddy

It was written earlier, if you need receipts, you need postpaid service.  Prepaid does not provide paperwork.  

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.