Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
BrothervsSister's profile

1 Message

Friday, April 5th, 2024 5:58 AM

On family plan with sister, want separate account with same phone number

My sister is the original account holder (OAH) and I’m on her family plan but I want my own separate account while keeping my same phone number, do I or my sister initiate the transfer of billing responsibility?

Also, when the transfer of responsibility goes through and am on my own account do I stay on family plan and price rate or choose one of the standard rated plans? 

If there is a past due balance does it need to be paid in full first before a transfer of responsibility can be attempted?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert


27.9K Messages

2 months ago


What should I do before I request a transfer of billing responsibility?
If you have primary or secondary online access to the account, be sure that your account:
  • Is active and doesn't have a past due balance
  • Isn't an AT&T PREPAIDSM account and must be an individual consumer account

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage


117.9K Messages

2 months ago

Either of you can initiate the transfer of billing responsibility. It may not be allowed until the account is brought up to date.  Usually no plan changes are allowed if the account is past due.

You will be required to choose from one of the currently available post paid plans. 

If your phone is getting bill credits for a promotion, the minimum plan you must choose is the starter plan. Extra and premium are also available to you. If you choose a metered plan or the value plan you will lose your promotional credits.

And if you choose to go to prepaid you have to pay off the phone before you will be allowed to migrate your number

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.