Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
maidenvoyage's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Sep 18, 2014 12:49 AM

Not cool, AT&T.

I was really pumped when they introduced the new Mobile Share plan. I was able to cut my bill back AND get enought data with unlimited minutes and texting. GREAT deal!!!

I was also really excited to get my new iPhone 6. Its like Christmas when the new iPhone comes out, I'm a big Apple fan. But AT&T apparently decided to kill the collective buzz. Because I preordered my iPhone 6 (early upgrade eligible), I apparently now don't get the $25 discount for my data plan. Why? Nothing but the hardware has changed! Is this some super lame attempt at bullying me into signing up for the AT&T Next plan? Because I DO NOT WANT TO. I want to own my own phone, I do not want to buy a phone at retail price because, lets face it, it is NOT affordable for someone who already makes less than $15,000 a year. I want to keep my monthly bills LOW because I'm generally living paycheck to paycheck as it is and I really just don't need a new phone every 12 or 18 months. I'm happy with saving up to throw down on my iPhone if need be for early upgrade, call it mine and not have to worry about a bunch of small print where my plan changes!!! I am very tempted to hop off the AT&T boat at this point, but considering I've always gotten absolutely excellent customer care I'm going to stick around and see what happens for a bit. For now, I am VERY unhappy and I'm really hoping this changes.

Responses

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 y ago

Just for clarification, did you use the semi-discounted $449 princing for an upgrade or did you buy outright at $649 (or higher depending on capacity?)

I ask becuase if you use the discounted pricing structure, even if it is a partial discount, then you lose the mobile share value pricing.  AT&T is pretty clear about that, so I went and bought my phone at full retail price to stay on the $15/month package.  That's the whole point of the value pricing, it is ONLY available if you buy outright or finance through next.  

Now if I read your post wrong and you DID buy at full price, then just call AT&T for clarification.  I preordered from Apple and the email confirmation said $40 a month, but after a quick chat with AT&T on the phone, they let me know that I was still good fo the discounted monthly rate.

Either way, enjoy your new phone

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 y ago

yep...i got hit with the exact same thing. I do not believe they are exactly clear about this.  Today was the first i've heard of this from anyone.  I'm sure it was in some small text somewhere in an agreement somewhere, but they were far from clear imo.

Looking for a way out of this.  This just seems sneaky to me.

Zacharyw70

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 y ago

They're actually very upfront with it. If you check this page it indicates that you'll receive a discount with on the AT&T Mobile share plan and will continue to receive it if you upgrade your phone with AT&T NEXT but the first line on the bottom clearly indicates you'll lose that discount if you do a subsidized two year contract.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/mobileshare.html

Honestly the math has shown that AT&T NEXT saves money over the long run compared to getting a subsizied phone plan. People complain they aren't getting "Their own phone" and are just renting it but that phone is completely yours you just need to fully pay it off. The same thing could be applied to a two year contract since you can't just leave early without fully paying the phone off.

Get started...

Ask a new question