Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Help for account, billing & more
H

• 

10 Messages

Thu, Oct 14, 2021 10:06 AM

No One Will Help. 3 closed tickets 7-8hr my time. Incompetence!!!!

So we switch to AT&T is August (2months ago). My husband has old phone. Gets new phone and we return and pay restocking fee because it does not work as well as his old phone. We try to “exchange the phone” for the new fold phone but the computer crashes and Ticket 1 submitted. We leave with his old phone.

He cracks the old phone screen and desperately needs a new phone so we try to order and they say “early upgrade $500 online.” I chat about this with AT&T. Ticket 2. Should be fixed in 24hr. Nope. 48hr Nope. Call back, same thing Ticket 3. Should be fixed in 48-72hr, nope. Call back, explain, the ATT rep tells me that maybe we have not paid for our phone, I said yes we have. Rep says maybe your credit is not good (I’m about to blow!!!!) I said our credit was FINE!!!! So then she looks and says it is the store issue go back there. Ticket 4. Return to store 45 minutes from our home (one way) with my 5yr old. Guess what???? They say no issue at the store. They can’t help me. Should be fixed in 72 hr. We are going on 2 weeks. No phone. Multiple lies. Incompetence. Verizon is a million times better. I have been with ATT 2 months. Nothing but issues….still no help in sight. No compensation for the 7-8hr out of my family time. Or the 70miles I drive for nothing. Where do you get help? I just want to pay off my new phone and walk away and never look back!!!  

Former Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

2 m ago

You might not be eligible for another new phone    without paying for it up front since your account has only been active since August. You should have exchanged the new phone within 14 days. Your not going to be compensated for your time 🙄 Regardless, pay off your device and go to a provider that suits your needs.

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

We did exchange within 14 days….we did everything RIGHT

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

The only phone we have is the Note 10 my husband paid off years ago. Nothing else……

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

2 m ago

I think you spent more time on the rant and less time on the series of events and that's why you're not getting a satisfactory reply here.

If I understand correctly you switched and purchased a new phone however, the new phone did not work well, so you returned it. You pay to restock fee and your husband has been using his old BYOD device.

His BYOD broke. 

You tried to purchase a new phone, the fold? 

But for some reason the system still thinks you have purchased a phone already that has not been paid for.

Do I have it right?

Read the bill.  Does it show installments for a phone on his line? If yes, for what phone?

If installments are for the phone that you purchased back in August and returned, do you have the receipt for the return and restock fee?

Yes?   Great! 

I suspect there is a paperwork snafu on the part of the store where you made your purchase and return. 

Waiting for your reply to suggest next move. 

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

We ATTEMPTED to exchange the new phone from ATT for the fold phone and the entire ATT order crashed. In the end that day at the store, we left with:

1. the old phone my husband had paid off for years

2. the new phone from ATT returned to the store and the restocking fee paid

3. the fold phone order was cancelled

So, we left with no new phone. No new phone ordered. Our bill shows installments 36/36 on his phone. We are not being billed but no one seems to be able to fix this. The store and corporate ATT BOTH AGREE the phone first “new” phone was returned to the store. They can both see this. Both the store and corporate agree he has no phone from ATT. Still no resolution. No phone. Phoneless in IL. And it’s true I am absolutely furious.

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

The store manager said that they were “ghost” payments or installments with nothing attached to them. But that being said, still no phone, no resolution except another ticket which I obviously have zero confidence in. ATT closes tickets whether there is a resolution or not. So all our previous tickets were closed without resolution. I am suspicious they will again close this ticket without resolution

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

2 m ago

Wow, store really messed up.  The return shoukd have reset upgrade status. 

Call 611.  Use key words 'cancel service'.   This sends you to lotalty department.   They can fix what most peons can't.   If they can't fix it, file a BBB complaint online and someone from upper management will call you. 

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

Thank you. I truly appreciate some guidance.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

2 m ago

@Hbradley4114

Update when you get results, or if not.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.5K Messages

2 m ago

@lizdance40 Wow, store really messed up.  The return shoukd have reset upgrade status. 

Are new accounts eligible for upgrades? I was thinking there is a "waiting period" for BYOD customers before they could buy AT&T phones. 

@Hbradley4114 I just want to pay off my new phone and walk away and never look back!!!  

That might not be a bad idea. This sounds like it's been a horrible situation and maybe cutting your losses is the best way to go. 

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

2 m ago

@MicCheck

With some credit checks that's true.  But they let them buy and return, what I'm guessing, was a mid range phone.  And now haven't reset the upgrade eligibility. 

And a clear answer, "you can't upgrade till your account is 60 days old", would at least put to rest the frustrations. But At&t didn't say that.

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

They did not mention a waiting period for upgrades and our son and I both got new iPhones which are fine and no issue and traded in our old iPhones for $800 rebate on both. I did call in to “cancel service” as suggested and here is what they offered and I accepted as reasonable. They put a fourth line on the account and are shipping us a free Samsung A12 with free activation because it is VERY obvious this was not our fault and there is a GROSS issue with the ATT system that is not able to be fixed in an expedient manner. So my husband can use the Samsung A12 forever or until they resolve these “ghost” payments and then he can upgrade. I was just so upset that both store and corporate kept telling me things that were not correct, did not work, and we had zero functional phone for my husband. I am probably one of the most reasonable people on the planet but 5 tickets and 7-8hrs and no resolution was driving me crazy. Not to mention, if a place messes up that bad, they really should DO something for the customer.

The phone on the way talked me off the ledge and my husband will have a phone possibly today. Shipped fedex same day (yesterday) so possibly arriving today.   Thank you so much for your help!! Truly appreciated!!!

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

I don’t think there were any credit issues. I’m an anesthesiologist. My husband industrial engineer. We live below our means and no credit issues.

ACE - Sage

• 

90.6K Messages

2 m ago

The a12 is a low-budget phone. Are they going to put it under contract or installments? Having to add a fourth line to the account doesn't cost very much for service, but you shouldn't be obligated to pay for it for two to three years. 

You have 14 days to return this phone and cancel that line. I would take that time to order the phone that he wants directly from Samsung. 

Your husband's old phone isn't going to have any trade-in values so he's going to have to pay full price for an upgrade anyway. Why not just go directly to Samsung and buy an unlocked phone. Samsung Series s20 and S21 as well as the newer folding phones are all fully compatible with AT&T as long as they are the USA unlocked version.  Model ending in U1.

You can Finance the unlocked version directly through Samsung.

24 month financing, no carrier bloat or lock. 

Once you go this route, you'll never finance through a carrier again.  Trade-in deals are lump sum up front.  

(edited)

• 

10 Messages

2 m ago

The A12 is FREE for our trouble….and I did not know that about Samsung. I am certain we will never purchase another phone from ATT….the only reason we left Verizon was we bought a place out in the country with demonstrated better  service with ATT.  Thank you again for that bit of knowledge on purchasing phones from Samsung directly. I’m still not certain the saga will truly ever get fixed at this point, but a free functional phone gives us an opportunity to regroup and decide what we really want to do (even though I know it isn’t the latest or greatest).

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.