Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Nov 29, 2018 10:00 PM

No more prorate.

I guess everyone is lesaving att and now they are giving trying to say you can only cancel on the last day of billing cycle or bill will not be prorated.   SIMPLE SOLUTION...the services shall not be prorated either.   Att cuts service when they cut bill!

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

2 years ago

@Mow7861 wrote:

What’s wrong with your statement is it fails to answer to the claim of it being right or wrong.

This isn’t a morality play.  Terms and contracts are set up and you agreed to them.  Just like renting an apartment, or subscribing to Netflix, you pay for a full month, it’s your problem if you don’t stay and use it. 

Just because something is in the t/c (which every carrier knows customers don’t read 15 pages of t/c, when signing up)

I must be one odd, paranoid duck then.  I actually stood in the store and read off the tablet before I signed on.

or every carrier does this is irrelevant.   Not irrelevant, because if you don’t read, you’re making the same mistake again.  Now who is at fault if you make the same error again?  

Perhaps they should hide in their t/c that they bill year to year or decade to decade.

They don’t hide anything.  You just couldn’t be bothered. 

Think before you answer a question.   Think what?  Some snowflake, rules don’t apply, live in a basement and play video games, millennial type delusional ideology?    I live in the real world.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

Every service I've ever had prorates their service.

This is how ATT got so big. Worth billions, they are willing to steal from the little guy who is trying to make ends meet.

ATT has the money to lobby legislatures and pay high powered attorneys.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.4K Messages

a year ago

Every service I've ever had prorates their service

@muggedbybigcorp Then I guess you’ve never had cellular service because none of them, except google Fi, have ever prorated to my knowledge.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

a year ago

@muggedbybigcorp wrote:

Every service I've ever had prorates their service.

This is how ATT got so big. Worth billions, they are willing to steal from the little guy who is trying to make ends meet.

ATT has the money to lobby legislatures and pay high powered attorneys.

Nope.  I have had Dish TV,  Xfinity, Cox, AT&T and frontier for tv/internet.  They do not prorate, and some of those go back 30 years.  Cellular, Verizon (17 years), and AT&T (for 5) neither prorate.   Both t-mo and Sprint TOS say you pay monthly, no partial months when you leave.  Prepaid, is paid in advance, so no refunds on service there either.  

AT&T announced last year it was no longer going to prorate TV and internet to fall in line with other providers.   As usual AT&T is always last to do things.    In this case that was a good thing for customers until this year.  

If you know you are leaving your TV and Internet provider, and you know it’s mid month according to your bill cycle, you can change your bill cycle to match the date of departure ahead of time to avoid overpaying. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

Well, I am as well just another customer of At&t that was not aware of this (fine print) change until I have cancelled my cellphone service in the beginning of my billing cycle. The phones had been disconnected immediately, as well as the numbers had been ported to the new provider.

I believe I am a part of 99% of all customers who do not read the fine print, and/or changes in the middle of receiving their services, not because I am illiterate or lazy, but because I want to trust that my interests as a customer are being kept/preserved at very best possible by the company -- just in order to keep me as a customer. That is what a good business is (should be) interested in. Otherwise why would I even be a customer of such company?

Let alone to mention a fact that I simply do not have time and/or will to loose waste my time on reading the fine prints of change of terms every time they are changed. Does this fact make me a blunt/dumb customer? I think the answer is yes. . . but then again, I am a part of 99%.

My point here is that although the 70$ I lost as the prorated amount (that I believe should have been returned to me as by any good business) are really not that important to me, but this pain will be remembered by me in the future. So, would I ever consider changing my provider in the future . . . Of course. It happens regularly to everybody. Would I consider At&t as my possible option?

Not sure. Actually I am sure I am not going back to this kind of provider . . .

So, to summarize all of this I am just leaving my comment here to say to the company that this move was a very bad business decision (in my humble opinion, of course). And that this move has just solidified my negative opinion about this business. Now this pain will always be reminding me to never return back to such business in my future endeavors. For as long as my memory will be serving me right, of course. 🙂

Best of luck for everyone else who this forum/info may help!

P. S. to ACE :

I just wanted to thank you personally for being such a diligent and thorough with your helpful info here. Although based on how you are leaning on your answers it sounds like you are an employee of At&t, I still tend to believe that you are just trying to help sincerely, and kudos to you – you sound as a very well-spoken and reasonable person. Which is rare nowadays. Thank you for contributing your time and knowledge here!!

Even if I try my best I could not be that informative and provide facts here as you did; Also, to be honest I am not switching my various service-providers very often . . . BUT as far as I can remember back in history it was rather a normal practice by business to give back prorated amount back to a customer. May be it was just my luck, or maybe it was second-level support (supervisor/manager lvl), but this is a clear impression in my mind from many years of being a customer. I am 47 y.o.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.4K Messages

a year ago

Well, I am as well just another customer of At&t that was not aware of this (fine print) change until I have cancelled my cellphone service in the beginning of my billing cycle.

@michaelyy There was no change regarding cell phone service. I’ve been a cellular customer over 16 years, ATT has never prorated cellular service. There was a change to other ATT services, TV, internet and home phone but cellular has never prorated to my knowledge.

TROLLEDYOUSO

Guru

• 

561 Messages

a year ago

I agree that AT&T is an unethical company, although my reasons have nothing to do with prorating. That’s why I stopped doing business with them years ago.

Changing carriers won’t get you prorating (no carrier does it except Google), but it was still your choice to do business with the company you are now criticizing.

I don’t understand why you would just trust that AT&T will give you a good contract without reading it. Since AT&T wrote the contract, you are the one who most needs to read it. If 99% of AT&T customers jumped off a bridge, would you do that too?

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

a year ago

@michaelyy wrote:

Well, I am as well just another customer of At&t that was not aware of this (fine print) change until I have cancelled my cellphone service in the beginning of my billing cycle. The phones had been disconnected immediately, as well as the numbers had been ported to the new provider.

When you port out, your service is canceled.  Your number can’t work on 2 SIM cards at once. 

I believe I am a part of 99% of all customers who do not read the fine print,  Thank goodness that’s not true.  Lots of people do.  

and/or changes in the middle of receiving their services,  I have canceled lines during my bill cycle, service has always terminated at the end of the cycle.  

not because I am illiterate or lazy,  I left Verizon 5.5 years ago.  Just left AT&T, both times timed for a few days before the end of bill cycle.  

but because I want to trust that my interests as a customer are being kept/preserved at very best possible by the company -- just in order to keep me as a customer. That is what a good business is (should be) interested in. Otherwise why would I even be a customer of such company?

Huh?   If you’re LEAVING why do they want to make your interests as a customer?  (EX customer)  And knowing all other carriers are the same, why would they do it differently?  

Let alone to mention a fact that I simply do not have time and/or will to loose waste my time on reading the fine prints of change of terms every time they are changed. Does this fact make me a blunt/dumb customer? I think the answer is yes. . . but then again, I am a part of 99%.

A lot of people ASK.  

My point here is that although the 70$ I lost as the prorated amount (that I believe should have been returned to me as by any good business) are really not that important to me, but this pain will be remembered by me in the future. So, would I ever consider changing my provider in the future . . . Of course. It happens regularly to everybody. Would I consider At&t as my possible option?

Not sure. Actually I am sure I am not going back to this kind of provider . . .

And you’re going to remember because your NEW provider doesn’t prorate either right?  

So, to summarize all of this I am just leaving my comment here to say to the company that this move was a very bad business decision (in my humble opinion, of course). And that this move has just solidified my negative opinion about this business. Now this pain will always be reminding me to never return back to such business in my future endeavors. For as long as my memory will be serving me right, of course. 🙂

Best of luck for everyone else who this forum/info may help!

P. S. to ACE :

I just wanted to thank you personally for being such a diligent and thorough with your helpful info here. Although based on how you are leaning on your answers it sounds like you are an employee of At&t, I still tend to believe that you are just trying to help sincerely, and kudos to you – you sound as a very well-spoken and reasonable person. Which is rare nowadays. Thank you for contributing your time and knowledge here!!

As of the 13th, I’m not even a customer anymore.   I have never worked for any cell carrier, never will.  

Even if I try my best I could not be that informative and provide facts here as you did; Also, to be honest I am not switching my various service-providers very often . . . BUT as far as I can remember back in history it was rather a normal practice by business to give back prorated amount back to a customer. May be it was just my luck, or maybe it was second-level support (supervisor/manager lvl), but this is a clear impression in my mind from many years of being a customer. I am 47 y.o.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

@guru wrote:

I agree that AT&T is an unethical company, although my reasons have nothing to do with prorating. That’s why I stopped doing business with them years ago.

Changing carriers won’t get you prorating (no carrier does it except Google), but it was still your choice to do business with the company you are now criticizing.

[michaelyy]
We are not living at dictatorship regime, are we? 😉

This is my right to criticize if I have not liked the experience/service. And that is all I did. Sorry if that action of mine has disappointed you in any way.

Just like, for example, if you go to a restaurant, and the service there is not what you have expected, or you are simply unsatisfied with their service or food you do have the same right to criticize. Don’t you? Even if it was, as you say, your own choice to go to this restaurant…

I don’t understand why you would just trust that AT&T will give you a good contract without reading it. Since AT&T wrote the contract, you are the one who most needs to read it. If 99% of AT&T customers jumped off a bridge, would you do that too?

[michaelyy]

Of course if that would be that clear and plain I would not jump 🙂

Good (but bad) example.

I am not asking anybody to understand it.

But to try and help you understand – we are not at war with each other, and should not behave like blood-enemies trying to get the last piece of meat in order to survive.

Them, as business, as much should be interested in me as I in them. So, the business is (assuming it is a good one) supposed to be interested to leave a good impression on a current customer, as well as on a potential one, as well as on a leaving customer. (that is for 'Huh?' comment from ACE).

As they (customers) all rotate between the providers, don’t they.

And please do not say things like “I am so sick of people …” , etc...

It only tells others (reasonably thinking users) to minimize your (as you think) valuable input to insignificant one, or to just ignore it altogether.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

a year ago

@michaelyy  You can complain all you like.  And @TROLLEDYOUSO  has his own opinion (negative) about AT&T.  

The feedback from the community is to inform you of policies that are ALMOST universal.  Unless you moved to Fi, your new carrier has the same policy.  

‘So less finger pointing, more learning by (bad) experience.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

a year ago

I also apologize for being a little bit unceremonious here.

I am a complete newbie on this site, and only now realized that ‘ACE - Sage’ is actually lizdance40, and that ‘Guru’ is actually TrolledYouSo.

Please accept my apologies!

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

a year ago

I got a refund when I cancelled my Comcast service two years ago due to a prorated bill. I expected my last ATT bill to be prorated for the 8 days that I used. My equipment was mailed back on day 8 of my billing cycle, so I could not use their service without equipment. It is wrong not to prorate. Att should do the right thing. They know it’s wrong. It is not true that other providers don’t prorate. Also, I read the contract and it does not show in the “termination” of service section that you will be charged for the full billing cycle. I am only paying the 8 days that owe.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

44.4K Messages

a year ago

@Twh123 When anyone says other providers don’t prorate, they mean other cellular providers, not tv service or internet service providers. Two years ago, ATT prorated those services too. The change to not prorate those services happened this year. Are you sure Comcast still prorates? They could have changed too. Good luck not paying what you are billed. I doubt it works out the way you hope.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

a year ago

@Twh123 wrote:

I got a refund when I cancelled my Comcast service two years ago due to a prorated bill.  That was 2 years ago.  When AT&T  this policy change back in January the announcement said they were “ falling in line with other carriers”, because other carriers no longer prorate. I know for a fact that Cox Cable has not prorated in at least the last five because that’s when I’ve change service with them.  Frontier does not prorate.  

I expected my last ATT bill to be prorated for the 8 days that I used.  You have already been informed that’s not going to happen. 

My equipment was mailed back on day 8 of my billing cycle, so I could not use their service without equipment.  Incorrect. The uverse or direcTV app is still available to you on mobile devices or through internet service.  Your login is still good til the end of bill cycle.  

It is wrong not to prorate. Att should do the right thing.  They know it’s wrong. It is not true that other providers don’t prorate. Also, I read the contract and it does not show in the “termination” of service section that you will be charged for the full billing cycle. I am only paying the 8 days that owe.

This isn’t a morality play and At&t isn’t responsible for your feelings.  If you pay short, At&t will ruin your credit, they have no problem with that.   You should know that landlords and mortgage companies weigh bad debts from cellular and TV providers much heavier than they do a foreclosure.  

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9.2K Messages

a year ago

@Twh123 wrote:

I got a refund when I cancelled my Comcast service two years ago due to a prorated bill. I expected my last ATT bill to be prorated for the 8 days that I used. My equipment was mailed back on day 8 of my billing cycle, so I could not use their service without equipment. It is wrong not to prorate. Att should do the right thing. They know it’s wrong. It is not true that other providers don’t prorate. Also, I read the contract and it does not show in the “termination” of service section that you will be charged for the full billing cycle. I am only paying the 8 days that owe.

Based on your mention of "equipment" it sounds like you had Direct TV. 

Per the DirectTV customer agreement: "Your cancellation is effective on the last day of the billing cycle in which you cancel (exceptions may apply to certain promotional periods and must be in writing) and you will not receive a prorated credit or refund for any portion of Service cancelled (subject to applicable law). You will still be responsible for payment of all outstanding balances accrued through that effective date.  You will receive Service through the effective date of your cancellation.

I'm not sure where you were looking, but AT&T makes it abundantly clear, multiple times, that there won't be proration. 

You can pay what you'd like (it's your credit after all), but you owe for the full final month. 

Get started...

Ask a new question