Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Jan 6, 2017 1:23 AM

Newgistics lost my AT&T phone return

On December 27, 2016, I called AT&T and spoke to an agent. I told him that I had to return a phone because it didn't work with my hearing aid. I was told to return the phone using the original packing materials and USPS return label.

On December 29, 2016, I returned an ATT phone using the USPS label provided with the original order. I tracked the return on USPS. After a week of no status change, I checked USPS again and found a status of "Tendered to Returns Agent." The shipping partner was newgistics.

On January 5, 2017, I went to the newgistics website and entered my tracking number. The Reference Number was "Unknown," the Status was "In Transit," and the Destination was "N/A."

Like other AT&T customers who have had problems with newgistics, I am stuck as well. I need help and don't know what to do. Can someone with AT&T advise me?

Responses

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

a year ago

@mbaturin wrote:

Same exact issue here with 2 returns (mine and my wife's phone upgrading to new iPhones). I have proof that I shipped to USPS. USPS last status is 10/5 and says Delivered to Agent.  Newgistics last status is 10/5 and says "Picked Up by Shipping Agent" Nothing after that. As far as I'm concerned my liability ended when USPS delivered the phones to Newgistics who AT&T partners with for "last-mile" delivery.  If they screwed up or had a theft or whatever, that is between AT&T and them and I should have zero liability at that point. 

As far as I'm concerned, your liability ends when you hand it over to a USPS worker and they hand you a receipt!

• Rember the Golden Rule: Treat others how you would like to be treated.
  • Just because my answer does not solve your issue (or agree with you), it may still be correct information...
  • Stating a fact about how something works, is NOT taking sides, it's just stating a fact...
  • Information provided might not be for "you" only, it might be clarification for other community members.
  • This is the public AT&T Community Forum (not AT&T support), please do not post personal info.
  • When provided an answer, please click "Accept solution" which helps other people to find an answer more quickly.
The (very) fine print - This footer is at the bottom of all my posts, its particulars may, or may not, apply to you & your post.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Now I've received a suspension notice from AT&T.  Not sure what recourse I have.  I've given the tracking numbers, both show that USPS delivered to their agent (Newgistics).  How can this happen?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

a year ago

As long as you have your tracking numbers get a supervisor. You have your
receipts. My problem is that they didn't give me any. They have to let it
go. They can't go after you for something you did correctly and have proof.
Talk to the supervisors supervisor. I kept my phone logs too to show how
many times and minutes I tried to call and resolve this. Good luck! If I
van help ket me know. Mine ended up being tied to a prepaid account. I said
see someone stole it. They were like nope too bad. I have never used att
again. I just paid the phone off and what I really did owe and let it go.
They tried to send me to collection. The reason I couldn't get receipts
were because mine was part of a bad batch of labels. Which they
conveniently said we are aware of it but that isn't your case. I was like
ok yeah right. I cancelled my directtv and everything. We moved to a new
house and they had went around the neighborhood trying to get people to
leave asap before my wife sees you lol. I was treated like I stole
something. I was a customer since it was Illinois Bell. I upgraded at least
1 phone every year and had 5 phones on my account. I even had a rep say
well if you just return it there won't be any issues. He made me sooooo
angry. Especially since I had spent 45 min explaining everything to him. It
was ridiculous. Everytime they tried to send me to collection I sent the
agency everything I had and it would disappear then again and 1 more time.
I have not seen anything since. I told them they could try to pry their
money that I do not owe them from my dying hands if they'd like to try. I
paid what I owed but not going to for something I don't owe. They do have a
complaint resolution form and you can report them to the BBB and consumer
affairs dept for your state. I told them see you in court if you'd like lol.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

Decided to try an online chat today.  The rep said they received the phones and the charge should be taken off in 24-36 hours.  He said he guarantees my account will not be suspended and that it will be taken care of.  I doubt it, but at least i have the chat transcript now.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

a year ago

Awesome. I do hope it does for you!! Happy Holidays! Thanks for.the update.
I am so glad it is a positive 1.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

a year ago

had same tracking problem , smartlabel .com said status unknown , not received ….usps said they couldn't track using smart label number ...I should contact newgistics and ask what usps tracking number was assigned to the package. Finding no contact number on the newgistics website. I ended up calling an Asurion claim rep (it was a return for insurance replacement) who inquired and informed me my returned equiptment had indeed been returned and noted in my claim file. I fail to see what newgistics function is other than cloud up the shipping picture and lose product. leave tracking info assignment to actual shippers !!!!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

a year ago

It seems there is a disconnect between the USPS, who ATT uses for return labels, and the destination carrier/agent "newgistics" who handles that last mile delivery of the phone to ATT's return depot.  In my case, the whole return process just took a long time (2-3 weeks) from USPS taking the package until ATT acknowledging they received it.   That part where newgistics gets the package should be trackable and more transparent, and it would stop a whole bunch of complaints and confusion. 

• 

3 Messages

10 months ago

My issue has turned into a Nightmare with AT&T. I had a tech come to my house a couple of months ago to fix my internet, while he was here another AT&T sales rep showed up from the Mobile department. He started his sales pitch about free new iphones on a family plan. I believed him and signed up, luckily I discovered that he fed me lies and misinformation. He told me I would pay no activation fees and that the phones would be totally free because I was already an existing AT&T customer. He even game me a monthly estimate of what I would pay every single month and it all turned out to be a lie. I managed to see through his lies and cancel the account before the 14 day grace period. I cancelled the service and then proceeded to return the phones. Since the sales rep knew consciously that he misled me, when I tried to contact him to cancel the service he disappeared and ignored my calls. I was left to handle this directly with the Mobile department. I spoke to a manager who told me that I can just bring the phones in to any AT&T store so I did. However, a sales rep at the store told me they could not accept the phones because they were not originally in their inventory. I tried a different store and was met with the same result. I called AT&T again and they told me "Its fine we will send you a shipping label so you can return them to us." So immediately the following day I print the label packaged the phones and dropped them off at the post office. I forgot about it and assumed everything was already taken care of. However this is where the nightmare begins. 3 weeks after I shipped the devices I receive a bill from AT&T saying I owed the devices, I called and asked why am I receiving a bill if I already shipped them? They mentioned that they had not received them yet and to not worry because since it is holiday season it may have been delayed. So once again I thought it was no big deal and it shouldn't be a problem. The following month I received another bill again, charging me for the devices, I called and they kept telling me that the devices have not been received, that is when I found out that it was Newgistics who handled AT&T return processes. When I checked the tracking Info AT&T provided on the email they sent me the shipping label with, it clearly shows that the package was delivered to a "Returns Processing Facility." I continued calling AT&T and kept telling them this and they kept saying that is not their return facility and that I am liable for the bill, however they did mention that they would put a dispute on my account so that I wouldn't be charged until the devices are received, considering the tracking info showed they are still in transit they clearly told me that they would put a dispute to allow more time to see if the devices arrive, this was also a lie since at this point I have already received a final notice bill. I then come to find out that the tracking information stopped months ago and it shows in transit after it left that returns processing facility. So at this point AT&T considers the phones "Lost in Transit." I was even told by AT&T that I should contact Newgistics, first of all why? Newgistics is not my company I never hired them to process this return AT&T partnered with them to process these returns, why should I be held liable? I followed every single step as I was instructed to do so by AT&T when returning the devices and now they want to screw me over like this? Mind you I have been a Loyal customer of theirs for over a decade. Second, I actually did make an effort to find out who newgistics is and I discovered 3 things, #1 it is impossible to get a live person on the phone, all you get is an automated voice system no mater which of their numbers you call. #2 Newgistics makes it perfectly clear on their website that "Due to privacy restrictions, they cannot provide additional tracking information, to contact the retailer," In this case AT&T. And finally #3, this is apparently not a new phenomenon, after sifting through various forums and review sites, Newgistics has a long history of losing AT&T returns, why AT&T continues to use this company to manage its returns is beyond my comprehension, unless it is all a calculated scheme to scam people out of thousands of dollars. I really was hoping it did not have to come to this but if they are not able to resolve this for me I will seek Legal Counsel and I have considered small claims court. I'll even get the media involved in this if I can, I know the media have covered stories like this from people who were being charged less than what AT&T is charging me. So I'm sure CBS or even NBC might want to include this in one of their night time segments. Also, I do have a receipt from when I dropped off the devices at the post office, I also have documented all of the tracking information that clearly shows that the package was picked up by Newgistics from the post office, that it arrived at a returns processing facility in Texas, and that the tracking info stops merely 1 week after I shipped the devices, it has been 2 months now and the tracking info has not updated.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

file a BBB complant online. hae your documents showing return was recieved handy. complaint will be forwarded to at&t upper management who will contact you.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

3 Messages

@lizdance40 Thanks for reading my comment, and thanks for your suggestion I have already filed a complaint with the BBB. I hope this gets resolved soon because they did send me a final notice bill and this has been a stressfull headache going on for months now.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

The regular CS is useless on problems that require AT&T to be proactive. A Better Business Bureau complaint is forwarded to upper management oh, they can actually do something

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

teezbeez

Teacher

• 

31 Messages

10 months ago

I had the same nightmare!! Called, emailed, called, emailed----- no success. Sent a broken phone back. Followed the instructions. Like a dummy, just dropped the thing in the mail, as instructed. Got no receipt showing that the Post Office had received it. Thus no tracking number from USPS. The stupid number on the return label means NOTHING.

They never received the phone at the warehouse. Really?? So, I kept the phone and made all of this stuff up??? Why? To keep a broken phone? Ridiculous!! As a result I was charged $500 for a broken phone that I no longer even had possession of. Furious!!

Somehow, I found an "AT&T Notice of Dispute". I do remember that I found it on the AT&T website somewhere. Just fill it out, explaining your situation. Provide the information requested. KEEP a COPY!! Send it in. It was about a week and I got a call from Office of The President, Dispute Resolution. Chatted with the very cordial and helpful lady. Very refreshing!! After the stuff Id put up with for a very long time from other AT&T folks Id spoken with about this fiasco.

As an end result, I was given a credit for the amount charged for the "lost" phone.

I suggest that you give it a shot. Hopefully, things will work out for you.

At the bottom left corner of the Notice of Dispute form is: V112013--- possibly the form ID. Good luck!!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

79.6K Messages

At the very least, please. Take a picture with your good phone of the tracking label provided. This number tracks the phone with the USPS and newgistics.
If the phone is never checked in by the USPS, then it was stolen by your local P. O. The packages are weighed at every change of hands. This makes it very easy to pinpoint where contents may have disappeared, and whose hands they were in.

Get started...

Ask a new question