Need help understanding your bill?
UnhappyCamper11's profile

2 Messages

Monday, November 27th, 2023 2:22 AM

New iPhone Beginning 3rd year of 3 year contract--- Big Payoff Required! T-Mobile will happily take my Business

I wish to transitioning from an iPhone 13 Pro Max to a 15 Pro Max w/1T of storage.  ATT will take my phone in trade but first demands I pay off the 3rd year.  That will cost ~$450.00  I've been with them since the first iPhones were sold and never given thought to changing carriers.  T-Mobile has an offer for the same monthly charges but has a program to reimburse the cost of an earlier termination from another carrier....therefore I would save $450.

Called ATT and told them that but they have no retention department and they had no interest in trying to keep me as a customer.... for example by telling me any reasons why staying with ATT would be a good idea.

After that somewhat disturbing call, I got on the phone with a very competent-sounding rep from T-Mobile who spent a good 45 minutes outlining the process of porting the number over to their network as well as confirming the program.  I understand she wanted a new customer but the dramatic difference in the quality of conversation was palpable.

Anyone else had this experience?  Difficult to believe ATT wants to hemorrhage customers.  $450 may convince me to change.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.1K Messages

3 months ago

You committed to a 36 month installment plan.  AT&T isn’t going to forgive that because you want to go to a different carrier.  If they did, everyone would threaten to leave early (whether they actually intend to or not) and get their phone debt forgiven.  AT&T isn’t “hemorrhaging” customers, no matter what people believe.  

You’ll want to pay off your phone and make absolutely sure that your phone is unlocked before you go to T-Mobile.  If T-Mobile pays you back the $450, good on them.

Former Employee

• 

22.1K Messages

3 months ago

Whether you stay or go ATT gets $450 from you… that is the responsibility you agreed to.

What is there to negotiate?

Of course if decide to leave, must pay out of pocket to get phone unlocked and free your phone number to port. 

Then your relationship with another carrier can begin.

concerning ATT… 3rd quarter report 2023

https://about.att.com/story/2023/q3-earnings.html

Sustainable strategy creates foundation for durable, long-term growth

• Delivered 468,000 postpaid phone net adds with continued strong ARPU growth and historically low levels of churn
  • Mobility service revenues up 3.7%; achieved company’s best-ever Mobility operating income
  • 296,000 AT&T Fiber net adds
  • Consumer broadband revenues up 9.8%, driven by AT&T Fiber revenue growth of 26.9%
  • Surpassed 8 million AT&T Fiber subscribers; doubled customer base in less than 4 years
  • Launched AT&T Internet Air fixed wireless residential service; expect to be in 30+ locations by the end of the year

2 Messages

3 months ago

Maybe I did not understand fully when the contract was signed but I thought I was signing up for the program of a new iPhone every year should I wish to upgrade.  Sadly, that is not the case.

ACE - Expert

• 

14K Messages

3 months ago

I don't think you're looking at the T-Mobile promotion correctly. First, maximum trade-in value is $830 with TM, vs. $1000 with ATT. With the $450 credit to pay off ATT, the total with TM is $1,280; only $280 more than the AT&T promo. 

In either case, you'll pay the full price of the phone less the applicable promotion, just like AT&T is requiring you do now. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.5K Messages

3 months ago

AT&T Next Up®

• Requires AT&T Installment Plan with Next Up.
  • Upgrade early by paying off 50% of your current device cost and turn it in for a new one.
  • Never miss out on the newest device.
  • Best option for early adopters.
  • Enjoy this flexibility for only $6 more per month.

Former Employee

• 

22.1K Messages

3 months ago

If you had NEXT UP would have paid $144 extra over last two years, then you give your phone up... not a trade in... to get a new phone.

ACE - Master

• 

10.1K Messages

3 months ago

Next up only makes any sort of sense if you trade up as soon as the 50% payoff criteria is met, because you don’t get any additional benefit by waiting longer.  You still turn in the old phone, and aren’t getting any extra credit for the balance you paid off beyond 50%.  Also, you still kept paying the additional $5 or $6 a month that much longer.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.1K Messages

3 months ago

If you really want to upgrade every year, you shouldn't be signing up with a service provider at all. You should be enrolling in Apple's upgrade program. That way you get an unlocked phone and there's no carrier commitment.

When are people going to wake up and realize that service providers are only out to make a profit on service? They don't care about you. And the only reason they're going to sell you a phone with any kind of deal is so that they can tie you to them for long enough to make a profit off selling service.  Just like AT&T and Verizon, T-Mobile requires a minimum service plan in order to take advantage of their phone deals.

Apple on the other hand, just like Samsung and Google, has one product, the phone. They can sell you an unlocked device that will work on any US carrier and is unlocked for anywhere in the world.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.