Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Synapse64's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Sep 18, 2014 1:59 AM

my plan increased because i signed up for 2 year contract.

i'm paying under $180 right now with 15GB shared by family of 5. we've been loyal to at&t for over 6 years or so. and now i just upgraded to iphone 6, $199 and activation fee now increased from $35 to $40 and they don't wave it anymore to loyal customers. but then my contract now

increases by $25/month per member, there's 5 of us so now i'll be paying and extra $125/month because i upgraded my phone, does'nt matter if its iphone or samsung or other.. instead of maintaining my bill, now it's more. loyalty, does not count any more. mr. at&t president, i hope your feeling fine & good about this. thank you very much for the past years.. i was great... time to move on....

Responses

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 y ago

yep..just found this out myself. VERY frustrating.  I'm in the exact same boat you are in.

They essentially force your hand by not disclosing that upgrade fee at the time of the upgrade.  This is AWFUL.   I called to complain.  They said there is nothing they can do and wished me luck with verizion.  

Zacharyw70

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 y ago

There sure is a massive influx of posts about this problem over the last few days. I've had family members complaining because their bill is going up $50 for two phones just because they want new subsidized phones. It's ridiculous since AT&T's bills are already pretty expensive, but this outprices them even more so.

I seriously hope AT&T starts to reconsider this new pricing structure they've taken on because it could seriously threaten their customer base down the road. AT&T basically forces people to get more data than they may need and charges them more for it. 

Verizon on the other hand has been running a $60 Single Line subsidized phone plan which basically completely outvalues anything AT&T is offering.

Resendetra

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

7 y ago

The problem is that many people are thinking the mobile share plans are 2 year contracts, but they aren't. So they get a subsidized phone and think it's AT&T's fault for their bill going up, but it isn't. AT&T doesn't hide anything when it comes to mobile share plans, but many people skip over the fine print. Never go into any kind of agreement with your eyes closed, because you could be taken on a financial ride.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

7 y ago

agreed that it is never a good idea to go into a contract blind....but I do think that ATT should at least educate their customers on what they are getting into.  They are not fully disclosing the terms of these contracts at the point of sale.  They actually seem to be intentionally hiding it.

Zacharyw70

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 y ago

Except the problem is it is AT&T's fault. A lot of people aren't being told this information from customer service representatives so when they go in-store to discuss new plan options or upgrading their devices they're never told about this situation because the employees don't read that fine print either.

I actually was on live chat the other day about a different issue and the representative recommended I switch to mobile share from my current plan. After about a 10 minute discussion of me explaining that was a bad deal due to the increased prices after we upgrade she finally realized what I meant and dropped the subject.

She only saw the original value in the deal and didn't factor in that little fine print that says your fees will raise if you upgrade your phone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

i totally agree with you and i'm sure many will agree but on the other hand

i have never read any of this fine print for a cell phone contract. i should but

we have the sales rep to give us in good faith what is the pros and cons of

this offers or plans. the fact that the did not, i'm saying this plan is a marketing

trap, they save you money but in the end they knew that you would upgrade to

a newer phone, they'll get the money back. i have a sales rep that i always go

to at at&t store, and he explains to me details, too bad he left to go back to school.

happy for him. anyway, at&t should not left this detail or fine print if you may but they

did. totally. thank you anyway.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

thanks Zacharyw70, totally agree with you. either the employees read or not, they follow

what they are told to tell the customers.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I tried asking about mobile share discount and this on-line rep kept trying to cell me on the Next Plan--i asked about keeping the discount several times since i do the 2-year contract, after going back and forth, Rubin finally told me he couldnt change the prices and i could speak to customer service. Ive been an AT& T customber for about 20 years, since they were Cingular, I've never had another cell phone carrier--maybe it's time to change? uggghhh, i hate the process...

Zacharyw70

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

7 y ago

Assuming you're a single line Verizon would be the best value at $60 for unlimited talk, text, and 2GB of data plus subsidized phone upgrades.

T-Mobile is cheaper with family plans but you pay for phones monthly on them which is the same thing you'd do on AT&T.

Really AT&T's screwed themselves because for single-line customers they don't have a competitive plan anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if that affects their subscriber base.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I posted the same thing. It's disgusting what they are doing to loyal customers just because they are on a family plan. We are getting penalized. AT&T u should really change this or u will lose us loyal customers

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 y ago

hey you think that's bad?  This is what happened to me last month.  From getting a phone replaced through Ausurion and adding a new line of service during the middle of my billing cycle and making changes to my account made my bill a whopping $683.  I was pretty much upset but there's nothing I can do.  I've paid my bill on time so it don't mess up my credit.  This is where some people would of just gave up on paying the bill.  I'm a new customer, I had the 10gb 4 line deal and my bill is supposed to be $230 a month.  Not including surcharges and fees comes up to $330 a month.  Had to bump the data down to 6gb and I got 2 lines not being used so luckily I was able to put those on a tablet line.  If you have any lines not being used and you can't put any lines on a reduced rate then this is the way to go

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 y ago

I have me and my daughter and my account, ive got an appt with Sprint next week, gonna see what they offer since i keep seeing their commercial for up to 10 lines thru 2015 for $100/month, 20 gb of data and unlimited talk/text? the discount i get thru my company will be obsolete when they raise my charges thru Mobile Share if i dont go to their Next Plan. You're right, loyalty is counting for nothing with AT&T

Get started...

Ask a new question