Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
tootalled's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Fri, Sep 19, 2014 2:46 PM

Mobile Share Value Plans

For the most part, I am a big fan of the Mobile Share Value Plans. Having been a customer of AT&T wireless since the Cingular merger.  I like the simplicity and value of the plan.

Now for the bad part. I was on a 2 year commitment plan that started before February. Now I have pre-ordered the iPhone 6 plus and wanted to continue with the a new 2 year commitment only to find out AT&T is going to charge me $40 more a month! I have 4 smart phones on my account and if I upgrade all of them with new 2 year commitments, AT&T will want to charge me $160 a month more!  All I want to do is to continue the relationship the way it has been for years. Why does AT&T feel the need to force me into a method of paying for the phone I DON'T WANT! You make it very hard to be a loyal customer when you pull stuff like this!

Responses

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

7 y ago

Yes, I found that out too after I ordered by a text message.  It's not $40 though, just $25 a month, but that does add up. Two phone over 2 years is $1200.  If your bill is like mine you do have the $40 line access for each phone.  But the value plan gives you a $25 discount.  When you get a new 'subsidized' phone and sign up for a new 2 year contract the discount goes away.  So in effect there is no subsidized phone.  If that's what AT&T has to do then they just need to be upfront about it instead of saying the phone is discounted with a new 2 year contract. Bait and switch tactics.  You can sign up for their NEXT plan which is probably what they want us to do and just pay full price for the phone.  You end up paying full price for the phone over two years but you do keep the discount. For me this is $300 less but I'm still paying $900 over 2 years than what I though I would pay when I placed the two phone orders.  I also found out that you can switch how you want to pay for the phone after it has shipped.  I did purchase with a new 2 year contract.  I was told in a private message on this forum from AT&T that the stores can change the 2 year contract to NEXT if you go in within 14 days of shipping, ( I think it's shipping).  A local store told me I had to send the phone back and get a new one.  That would be quite stupid to send hardware back to change billing.  I'll find out when I try going into a store, maybe tomorrow or Monday.   AT&T should just get rid of the fake discount when buying the phone with a 2 year contract and just advertise the real price of the phone.  

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.3K Messages

7 y ago

You do not pay $40 per line more, your line loses the out of contract discount of either $15 or $25 depending on the data plan you are on.

The Mobile Share data plans were cheaper than the old plans because AT&T (and most other providers) are no longer subsidizing phone costs. One way or another, you are going to pay for the upgrades. Either by losing the discount, or by paying full price for the phone over 20 to 24 months by using NEXT.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

Ok. I understand all that, but why doesn't AT&T come out and tell their loyal customers this directly in the first place. All we hear is "Hey we have great new plans". The sales person who sold me on the new plan should explain why they are coming out with these new plans, about the discounts and how they work. The only say these new plans will save you money. When I signed up for the new plan, these points should have been made extremely obvious. After 20 years of loyalty is that too much to ask?

So as I said with the new plan, I was saving 50$ a month with 4 smart phones on my plan. If I choose to use the 2 year commitment to upgrade all my phones, which will eventually happen, I lose the $25 discount on all 4 phones and my phone bill now is $50 higher than before the new plan. That means if I don't change the way I do business with AT&T they charge 25% more, eventually. I haven't even added up what this forced change is going to cost me.

I guess being a loyal customer means nothing now a days....

Resendetra

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

7 y ago

@tootalled wrote:

Ok. I understand all that, but why doesn't AT&T come out and tell their loyal customers this directly in the first place. All we hear is "Hey we have great new plans". The sales person who sold me on the new plan should explain why they are coming out with these new plans, about the discounts and how they work. The only say these new plans will save you money. When I signed up for the new plan, these points should have been made extremely obvious. After 20 years of loyalty is that too much to ask?

So as I said with the new plan, I was saving 50$ a month with 4 smart phones on my plan. If I choose to use the 2 year commitment to upgrade all my phones, which will eventually happen, I lose the $25 discount on all 4 phones and my phone bill now is $50 higher than before the new plan. That means if I don't change the way I do business with AT&T they charge 25% more, eventually. I haven't even added up what this forced change is going to cost me.

I guess being a loyal customer means nothing now a days....

Yes, instead of paying $15 or $25 a month for each phone line, you will then pay $40 for each once a month. Anyone on a two year contract has to pay that, that's why a lot of people switched to the mobile share plans, because you got a discount on each line for doing so. To keep the discount, someone has to upgrade using NEXT (monthly installments), buy the phones at full price up front, or buy used and/or unlocked phones. If you buy a subsidized phone, you lose the discount, because you will be put right back into a two year contract again. The mobile share plans aren't considered two year contracts, so they don't allow people to get phones at a subsidized price.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 y ago

I have been an AT&T customer since 2006, with the exception of a brief stint at T-Mobile (thought their cell service may have improved, it hadn't). I have always loved the AT&T service. I've never had any issues whatsoever with my phones. However, that being said, I absolutely HATE the mobile share plans. I used to be able to control my bill. If I wasn't using a ton of text messages, I could downgrade to a lower plan. If I found that I wasn't using as many minutes, I could downgrade. I had unlimited data, which I would never downgrade. Now, I have no options. Just what AT&T thinks I will like the best. Unfortunately, they have the best service in my area, so I'm stuck dealing with this stupid Mobile Share crap. I have one line on my account and generally stay under a 2 year contract. So, I'm paying $40 a month because I am under contract. Plus, I'm also paying for 6 GB of data. This makes no sense to me. I'm willing to pay for the data that I use (which I'm going to be downgrading soon), but why should I be spending $40 a month as well when the data side supposedly is the shared plan that INCLUDES voice and messaging. I'd rather go back to being able to pick a voice plan, text plan, and data plan that each work for me and have their own costs. My bill was never as expensive at it is now, but yet I'm still getting the same service, and still using the same amount......

Sorry for the rant, but that's my two cents on these crap plans.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

21.3K Messages

6 y ago

I am the otherside of that coin tho

The MSV plans save me 115 bucks a month with the 25 per line discount.  I have 6 phones and a tablet on my line.  But then again I dont have a problem giving the kids used or discounted phones.  Found a htc one at best buy for 299 and bought it for one daughter.  I dont use apple products so I am not bound by apple pricing.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Get started...

Ask a new question