Need help understanding your bill?
bjleend's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, March 1st, 2014 1:44 AM

Mobile share value plan and data tethering

Does mobile share value plan allow to set up data tethering? I see that there is a personal hotspot option on iphone, and I have 10GB mobile share value plan. Can I set up personal hotspot to share internet for my laptop when wifi is not available?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, you can.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

@21stNow wrote:

Yes, you can.

As stated here.

Spoiler
Up to ten devices per plan. Additional monthly charge per device. Tablets sold at a discounted price not eligible. If you exceed the amount of data in your plan during your billing period, an additional 300MB or 1GB is automatically provided as specified in your rate plan. Overage charges are billed to the primary line. All data allowances, including overages, must be used in the billing period in which the allowance is provided, or they will be forfeited. Authorized users on the account may temporarily suspend data access for each device using the Mobile Share Plan. Data access will be restored at the beginning of the next billing cycle. Monthly charges, however, will continue to apply. Tethering and Mobile Hotspot use are permitted with up to five (5) simultaneous devices. Access to corporate email, intranet and apps available for $15/mo. per device. Additional monthly charge per device not eligible for discounts. Additional deposits and other restrictions may apply. International use not included.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

If you've changed recently to a personal hotpsot plan, like the MobileShare, you'll need to restart your phone, before it becomes available.

Whatever you use through the personal hotspot, still counts against your plan, but most definetly, it's included and can be a very useful feature.

I noticed it also drains my battery a little faster, so you probably don't need to leave it on indefinetly.

-Alex

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Just switched to the Mobile Share Plan. It says it includes Hotspot. Both of my cell phones have hot spot capability. My husband and I would like to share our data with our 2 iPads which we own outright. Is there an additional $15 per ipad per month charge to do this? So confused! We've been with AT&T /Cingular since the 90's.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

@sadiesmom wrote:
Just switched to the Mobile Share Plan. It says it includes Hotspot. Both of my cell phones have hot spot capability. My husband and I would like to share our data with our 2 iPads which we own outright. Is there an additional $15 per ipad per month charge to do this? So confused! We've been with AT&T /Cingular since the 90's.

When you use the hotspot feature on your cell phone, you do not have to pay extra for the other devices that connect to the cell hone by wifi to use that hotspot feature.  The only time you have to pay extra for using a device is if you put an AT&T SIM card into it to use the cellular data from the account directly on the device. 

Do keep in mind that using the hotspot feature does use a substantial bit of extra data.  Back at Christmas, I was visiting my mother-in-law and she was having problems with her laptop.  My wife connected her laptop to my iPad (which we had setup as a hotspot for the session) so she could download a ~200 MB patch she needed.  That 200MB download used close to 1GB of the cellular data plan to download because the PC is not optimized for reducing network traffic when using a cellular hotspot.  In fact, I had to bump my account because she hit the 2GB limit on the iPad cellular plan before (which had about 800MB left when she started the download), so I have to buy another 2GB of data to get us through that weekend. (I don't have my iPad on my 10GB Mobile share plan either, it is on a separate account with a different carrier).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you GeekBoy! Also thanks for the suggestion about downloads.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

7 years ago

I have a Lg flip phone its 20.00 for line and 45.00 for unlimited shared individual plan 2015 they talked me into free tablet but on adobe it said that device isn't shared. They messed up didn't they. Because it's only me and 10.00 for the line so why am I sharing 2 GB Total 55.00 +tax 63.00 +

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Newtoyou The unlimited line shouldn't have hotspot, but the tablet could have that feature.

Mentor

• 

49 Messages

7 years ago

Just received new ATT tablet same model but it couldn't be repaired, I'm trying to register and it's saying that this device doesn't have hotspot! It doe's and came with hotspot on home page, I have unlimited data plan individual with rollover Data, I couldn't use 4G at my friend's house and had to use Xfinity hotspot! ATT said to upgrade? I tapped that and it said I had to pay a monthly service! I already do. Does it not recognize device?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Newtoyou Sounds like you need to move your SIM from the old device to the new one. Or get a different SIM activated by AT&T.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.