Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
KerryLudwig's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Thursday, September 26th, 2019 7:27 PM

Mislead by saleswoman

We recently purchased 2 Samsung Note 10+ on the BOGO offer.  During the whole sales spiel, we were told that as part of the offer, we would have to upgrade to an unlimited data plan.  We don't need that it since we never use all the data on our old plan.  But since it was required for the deal and it was only getting to be a little more per month than what we were paying before, we agreed.  What the saleswoman failed to tell us is that we would lose our hot-spot capability.   I have a 9 yr old autistic son.  When we are traveling and he gets upset, we turn on the hot-spot so he can play his games on his iPad.  I am an amateur radio operator and a founding member of a group dedicated to training for Emergency Communications.  We work with the local hospital network, fire dept and sheriff's office.  I use the hot-spot in my truck for relaying position reporting data.  Both of these uses are very limited.  I'm sure well below 1GB/month.  So now I'm not only paying more for extra data I don't need, I have lost a basic functionality that I do need.  When I went back and confronted the saleswoman, she said "Oh..  did I not mention that?  I guess I dropped the ball on that one."   But she graciously offered to to add it back but it would require another upgrade and another additional charge.  I walked out.   I feel that I was mislead.  I should have been told about this upfront.  I shouldn't have to pay even more just to get back to the level of service that I had before.  I have been an AT&T customer for 2 decades.  I currently have 4 lines on my plan.  I hate to think of how many thousands of dollars I have spent over the year.  Do I have any recourse??? 

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 years ago

There are 2 unlimited options, one with and one without hotspot.  The plans are easily found online and you could have read this information yourself.  Did you tell the saleswoman this was a priority for you?   Is the $30 difference worth the discounted phone?  If not switch plans to 9 gigs.   

https://www.att.com/plans/unlimited-data-plans.html

BTW, did you add a line for the second phone?   If not, you didn’t qualify for the BOGO anyway.  (The BOGO deals are published also.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I did add the other line to get the BOGO.  I had her go over the details of anything that would change.  She never once mentioned the hotspot change.  She even said when I confronted her that she was supposed to tell me.  

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 years ago

Did you need an extra line?

So you’re paying how much more to get $32-ish off each month?   

Phone deals are to add business and make a profit off us, not save us money.   I would have suggested you read the plans, do the math, then make choices.   Not let a salesperson pick for you because all you could see was a free shiny new phone, not that the increase in plan price was going to cost you more than the phone.  

The difference in the 9 gig and unlimited is $50.  Far more than the monthly installment.  

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Yes.  I did need the extra line.  It was for leaving the hot-spot permanently hooked up to the radio equipment in my truck.  Position reporting data would be a few MB per month tops.  I wasn't looking for a "shiny new phone."  I wasn't even getting of the phones.  They were for family members.  ((I came here for help/advice..  not attitude.))   I did ask about all of the costs and changes.  I did ask about the details.  You would think that asking for details in an AT&T store would qualify for proper due diligence. 

I feel that I was mislead and just wanted to get it made right.  If you can't offer some constructive information, please don't reply.

I signed up here to see if there were any options for me, not to be talked down to. I'm 2nd computer tech/network support for the county school district.  I'm not someone that couldn't see past a shiny new object.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

I feel that I was mislead and just wanted to get it made right.

So what do you expect to make it right? The plan you got does not include hotspot, there is no way to change that. You can change to the Unlimited & More Premium plan which includes hotspot and still qualify for the BOGO offer or you can change to some other plan or maybe even get your old plan restored but you won’t qualify for the BOGO.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I feel that the reason for them turning off the hotspot is to keep people from streaming movies to their computers, etc...  and using large amounts of data. I can understand that.  I just want the basic hotspot functionality back even with a data cap on it.  I never used all of my data when I had a cap.  Why would I use more now?  I felt what they did was a lie of omission.  They should have told me that I would lose that feature.  AT&T could easily add that back and wave the additional fee.  I feel like I was lied to.  I just want back what was taken from me by deception.  Maybe fairness is too much to expect in today's society.  I just wanted to post my situation here to see if maybe someone could suggest a department I could contact and at least get them to hear me out on this.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

5 years ago

It sounds like a lot of victim-blaming on this forum, especially you explained the situation and clearly stated that the store rep admitted she forgot to tell you about losing the hotspot.  It seems like it is more important to AT&T to follow their policies, than expressing actual concern and coming up with a solution.  Reading some of these posts make me wonder, if these are AT&T employees replying, how do they talk to their customers over the phone or chat.  I know these plans are "locked in stone" nowadays, but you might try calling in and talk to Customer Loyalty since you have been a long time customer, maybe they can do something.  For the rest, you might go to your MyCSP articles on how to post on AT&T forums and how to treat a customer.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

wrh4498 - Thank you for your input.  This is the kind of help I was looking for.  I will try to find their Customer Loyalty Dept contact info and do just that.  

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

5 years ago

@wrh4498 wrote:

It sounds like a lot of victim-blaming on this forum, especially you explained the situation and clearly stated that the store rep admitted she forgot to tell you about losing the hotspot.  It seems like it is more important to AT&T to follow their policies, than expressing actual concern and coming up with a solution.  Reading some of these posts make me wonder, if these are AT&T employees replying, how do they talk to their customers over the phone or chat.  I know these plans are "locked in stone" nowadays, but you might try calling in and talk to Customer Loyalty since you have been a long time customer, maybe they can do something.  For the rest, you might go to your MyCSP articles on how to post on AT&T forums and how to treat a customer.

Sympathy is nice.   But it doesn’t change the policy or facts.  It doesn’t matter that the salesperson forgot or if the OP didn’t say it was required.  And when the website is so easy to find and prices so clear, there is no excuse other than purposely not looking.   Loyalty might help, they might not be able to help.  When I contacted them, they offered an unlimited plan, but no hotspot at all.  No they didn’t tell me, the deal was just too good to be true, so I had to ASK.  

We are clear not employees.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.4K Messages

5 years ago

@KerryLudwig wrote:

I feel that the reason for them turning off the hotspot is to keep people from streaming movies to their computers, etc...  and using large amounts of data. I can understand that.  I just want the basic hotspot functionality back even with a data cap on it.  I never used all of my data when I had a cap.  Why would I use more now?  I felt what they did was a lie of omission.  They should have told me that I would lose that feature.  AT&T could easily add that back and wave the additional fee.  I feel like I was lied to.  I just want back what was taken from me by deception.  Maybe fairness is too much to expect in today's society.  I just wanted to post my situation here to see if maybe someone could suggest a department I could contact and at least get them to hear me out on this.

So...let's go back in time. She DOES tell you that your new plan won't include hotspot. What do you do? Not add the additional lines nor buy new phones?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.