acarter91's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Mar 26, 2016 6:35 PM

Manufacture Warrenty

I dont understand why im paying for the "extended manufacture warrenty" when im not able to file it directly with ATT and instead have to go through assurion who is requiring me to somehow upload my photo id and other documentation electronically to them. (I dont have a scanner, nor do I know how to find one.) On top of that they are requiring I pay out an additional 200.00 for a refurbished device AND return my old phone to them. My phone is in perfect condition and is just unable to hold a charge and my phone calls cut out. I think this is completely rediculous. Im a good standing ATT customer, I think the guidlines on how a warranty replacement is handeled needs to be reevaluated. I can instead claim that my phone is "lost" and get a replacement at the same cost (keep my old phone for my child to connect to wifi)

Rant Over.

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

6 y ago

Asurion is not an extended manufacturer's warranty, it is a  insurance program that will replace your phone after the manufacturer's warranty expires and it also cover lost, stolen and damaged phones that the manufacturer's warranty does not cover.The insurance program does have a dedcutible that is spelled out in the paperwork that you get when you sign up for the insurance.

David606

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

6 y ago

That is not warranty. There is no extended warranty.

It is insurance from Asurion. Mobile Insurance covers your device in the event of loss or breakage, as well as when it is outside of warranty. AT&T is not the manufacturer of devices, warranty is by the manufacturer. Now with their permission, the carriers are allowed to exchange inside the warranty period on their behalf. It is an option, not the only one though. As far as insurance is concerned it is the same as every other type of insurance, there is a deductible.

When someone signs up for insurance, a packet of information is mailed to the address on file. It details the terms of mobile insurance. It clearly indicates what you will receive as a replacement, a certified device. It also advises customers of applicable deductibles in the event of a claim. AT&T is not an insurance company so therefore we can't provide it. The law requires insurance products come from a licensed agent. This is why Asurion is the company who handles claims.

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

6 y ago

If your phone is no longer covered by the warranty (over one year old) then your only option is to claim under insurance.  All insurance has a deductable. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 y ago

I am a long time user also, but refuse to buy into Asurion, esp. the new tier tables. I buy Apples 99.00 for 2 years and do away with the 8$ monthly fee plus the stupid deductable on top. Was just loking at the new tier rates. Example the Apple 5se, 199.00 deductable. What a rip when it is 399 new.I would like to get the new GS7, but not paying that. Dont know if can buy from Samsung or not. Side note, bought my niece a new Moto G and bought the extended coverage for 2 years and was 14.99 and deductable on breaks is 29.00. Has to be other ways than Asurion

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

6 y ago

@Johncolts54

@Johncolts54 wrote:

I am a long time user also, but refuse to buy into Asurion, esp. the new tier tables. I buy Apples 99.00 for 2 years and do away with the 8$ monthly fee plus the stupid deductable on top. Was just loking at the new tier rates. Example the Apple 5se, 199.00 deductable. What a rip when it is 399 new.I would like to get the new GS7, but not paying that. Dont know if can buy from Samsung or not. Side note, bought my niece a new Moto G and bought the extended coverage for 2 years and was 14.99 and deductable on breaks is 29.00. Has to be other ways than Asurion

At those prices, why buy insurance when's it cheaper to just buy another phone?

I am very careful with my phones, I have never lost or broken one.  In 20 years and dozens of phones, we lost one, one got chewed by a puppy and one was broken by a careless teenager.  I am still thousands of dollars ahead without insurance.  

Please note the $99 Apple care is not insurance for "death and dismemberment" , loss or theft.  It's an extended warranty 

I believe in a good screen protector and a good case.  Asurion insurance doesn't make good financial sense.

If you like extended warranty (which I believe in even LESS than insurance) that's your choice. But Apple has always stood by their phones for 2 years without an extended warranty, and replaces with a NEW phone.  

There is Square trade insurance.  They are cheap, but they don't cover loss or theft, just damage or device failure.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 y ago

I totally agree with you. If my nexy phone will be a Apple , will not purchase it. But wanting to try the GS7, but will wait for price drop or watch ebay, but they are not US versions. Any ideas helpful....Thanks

ACE - Sage

• 

92K Messages

6 y ago

Start poking around eBay when your ready to buy.  A lot of people sell after one year , so you get a phone at half price.

eBay has patterns.  Devices selling mid day, mid week, sell for less than weekend.  

When I buy I look for devices with auction ending mid day, mid week, but when I sell, I end auction on the weekend evening.

Some colors sell for more.  The iPhone 6 Plus sells for less than the 6.  High storage sells for more, etc.   It's like the stock market, watch before you dip your toes in.

You must have Paypal. 

Ebay guarantees your purchases be as advertised. 

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.