Learn how you can get the iPhone 13 now!
wlmcmullen118's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tue, Sep 3, 2019 5:26 PM

Kudos to the following people who work at ATT & What ATT needs to fix concerning hacking

My phone was hacked (hijacked) on Sunday. The worst part is that my boyfriend's memorial service is this Saturday, Sept 7th. I was devasted not being able to contact the 200 people who were planning to attend because of the phone issue.  Sunday was a nightmare trying to get to the bottom of the whole thing. I'm going to give you the Staff/Employee Kudos in a minute.....Most of the ATT customer service reps had very little training in this type of hacking problem and tried to convince me that I was the one who closed my account and went to another carrier. They didn't believe me when I said I was hacked. 

However, these are the outstanding individuals who need to be recognized for their amazing customer service skills and just darn good people as well. 

Brian ***** (spelling?) ATT Port services

Brenda (I should have gotten her last name) she works in the ATT fraud department. Pretty much an amazing human being who I wish I could adopt as a permanent friend. 

Amanda *****: ATT Port Services. I've been in a mean insulting mood over all of this but Amanda was so patient and kind with me. Even when I was interacting in a disrespected way to her.  And she did absolutely everything to update my phone with a new number.  She really knew what she was doing.  I can't tell you how much appreciate that.

These 3 folks need a standing ovation and a raise. I seriously wish you had more employees like these 3.  Sadly you don't.  ATT: now that I've told you about the outstanding ATT professionals that truly felt like friends to me and whom I truly felt cared for my welfare,  the following is how you are failing your customers!

The connection to your overseas reps is really terrible. I could barely hear each overseas rep because of all the background noise in the warehouse they are working in.  At times it sounded like they were having a huge party in the background..........Meanwhile, I recognize that these reps probably make very little money since ATT goes overseas to employ them.     

I knew I had been hacked but every time I ended up with an overseas representative it was like talking to a robot, the same script, the same: "I'm so sorry...blah, blah, blah.....".Gosh ATT, you've got to do something about this. I even had the overseas Rep transfer me to their supervision. Holy Cow that guy was horrible. He tried to tell me that I must have given my friends or family my password to get into my account. Again, like all the overseas reps they insinuated that it was my fault....I couldn't sleep or eat for two days!.  Then I talked to the wonderful people listed above who are so awesome that I have to mention them. 

The important thing is this: My life is in turmoil right now after losing my beloved boyfriend and the emotional days ahead. 

There are so many things ATT desperately needs to fix and pay attention to. 

Number 1: Please, please train your overseas customer service folks better. Train them about hacking issues as soon as possible, and how they can recognize if we as customers are hacked. Customers need time to quickly go into their banking accounts, credit cards, paypal, etc. etc.and quickly change passwords etc. Time is of the essence. If your customer service reps do not alert folks to call fraud immediately than they are seriously lacking in training. I talked for close to an hour to reps right after I was hacked. While they were busy blaming me for the hack, the hackers were able to infiltrate some of my accounts---not successfully but I had tons of email alerts. ATT,  phone hacking is the next big wave to come. It's already at crisis proportion.  A recent tech news report claims that Apple iPhones have security issues in them that have not been remedied by Apple.  Do you know what that means?  Millions of people will be vulnerable to hacking. You MUST prepare your representatives better.  

Number 2:  Do NOT give people their hacked phone number back!! The hackers have the phone number and can continue to use it to break into your account by impersonating the customer online.....My analogy: say that the front door keys of your house were stolen. The thief gets a copy made of your key.  The police find those keys. In the meantime, you have changed the lock on your front door.  Meanwhile, the police tell you that you must change your front door lock to your previous old front door lock.  The thief still has a copy of your house key and can get in once again.....So PLEASE do not give folks their hacked phone numbers back...

Number 3: Your system of giving a pin when you call is a terrible idea.....I work for a University and if they heard the way you allow folks to log in or get security clearance when they call you,  they would laugh you right out of the country.  Pretty much everything you are doing is extremely hackable.  I know, I know you claim that they broke into my email to get my passwords.....and that's how they were able to get into my account yada, yada, yada. Guess what? My account was linked to an email from 2006 that has been shut down and that I never use anymore. So there is no way they were able to sign in to my email account to steal my password. 

Number 4: Protect your PORTS!!!  You must create a better unhackable barrier to protect your PORTS. No hacker so easily should be able to go through ATT, transfer your phone number to a different carrier and close your account without a red flag warning first. Meaning, before you can have your phone number hijacked you are contacted right away to see if the customer intended to shut down their phone service. EVERY company does this.  Nothing is done with my banking or my credit cards OR my email without the DUO authentification system that I use....ATT MUST move to this way of managing accounts urgently!

Number 5: Make it as easy to fix your account as it was for the hackers to hack our accounts. Why do I have to spend 2 days calling and calling and calling to get this straightened out, threatened with being charged for changing my number, bullied into believing that I did something to allow hackers to steal my phone number.  Hours and hours spent with inadequately trained customer service reps. PLEASE ATT,  if you want people to stay with your company you need to change these issues. 

The only 3 things you've done right is hiring the three outstanding people I mentioned above. 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.3K Messages

2 y ago

@wlmcmullen118 wrote:

Number 1: Please, please train your overseas customer service folks better. Train them about hacking issues as soon as possible, and how they can recognize if we as customers are hacked.

I have no idea what you mean by your phone being "hacked." 

Number 2:  Do NOT give people their hacked phone number back!! The hackers have the phone number and can continue to use it to break into your account by impersonating the customer online

This doesn't give me any more explanation as to what you mean by "hacked." Based context clues, I'm think that maybe your phone number was ported without your consent? A new phone number isn't really necessary, but you just have to ask if you want one. 

Number 3: Your system of giving a pin when you call is a terrible idea.....I work for a University and if they heard the way you allow folks to log in or get security clearance when they call you,  

AT&T shouldn't call and ask for a PIN. Maybe if you have an escalation and are working with a particular individual, they might, but on a normal basis that doesn't happen. If you did give your PIN to someone who called, I think we might have figured out how you were "hacked."

Number 4: Protect your PORTS!!!  You must create a better unhackable barrier to protect your PORTS. No hacker so easily should be able to go through ATT, transfer your phone number to a different carrier and close your account without a red flag warning first. 

If customers want to change providers, AT&T can't stop them. The customer must provide the PIN to complete the port; that is the protection. 

Number 5: Make it as easy to fix your account as it was for the hackers to hack our accounts. 

Unfortunately, fixing what scammers of any sort did is usually more difficult. On one hand, you want to make it more difficult for someone to port out of AT&T, but on the other you want to make it easier to port in to AT&T...just because that's what would serve you best in this case. 

The only 3 things you've done right is hiring the three outstanding people I mentioned above. 

I'm glad you were able to get this resolved. It's unfortunate that you had to deal with this at such a difficult time in your life, but remember that AT&T is a victim here, too, so it definitely has incentive to get the issue fixed. 

[Edited for privacy-This is a public forum. Please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

With all due respect. You don't know what Hack means?

Here's the definition from the Oxford dictionary.

use a computer to gain unauthorized access to data in a system.
"They hacked into the bank's computer"

So yes, as I said....train your overseas reps to be able to recognize when a hacker... OR since you don't like the word..... "an individual" ports out your phone number.  Btw, now I'm very concerned that an ATT employee doesn't understand "Hack". In fact the ATT reps and the ATT Port Employees also used the word Hack.....

Also, can you tell all of us that may be unfamiliar with how to put tougher access onto our individual ATT account....Duo Identification?  I'm sure I can find out the answer myself, however, there may be readers that don't know how to do it. 
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

2 y ago

@wlmcmullen118   

You are communicating with other customers, not At&t.  They are not ‘our reps ‘ to train.

We do know what hacked means.  That’s not what you described.  You seem to be saying your account was hacked and your number ported out.  The entire reason for porting out - stealing - your number is to access your financials and other accounts.  Once recovered (ported back) they can’t.  Your number isn’t a key, it’s a lockbox for combinations.  

Most who claim they had ‘hacked phones ‘ did NOT have hacked phones, they had hacked accounts.  Email, financial etc.  with email access it’s a breeze to change passwords and PIN codes, then port numbers out.

(needless to say I have everything locked 2 or 3 ways to prevent that.)

The process to porting a number (per the FCC) only requires account number and PIN code.  If you don’t secure your account and allow these two bits of information out, it’s pretty easy to port your number out.  

That PIN code:  it can be 4 to 8 digits.  It shouldn’t be a number anyone can guess,  like last 4 of SS#.  You can change it.  I change passwords and PIN codes regularly.  This is your responsibility and recommended by all cyber security experts.  

AT&T added 2 step authentication for access to postpaid accounts, mandatory.   So I’m puzzled why it’s not on your account.  

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

2 y ago

Liz,  I'm already aware of everything you've mentioned in your response...

What I mean by Representatives......

When I call ATT for an issue, a problem; I am taken to an ATT Phone Representative  (Not a customer).  The Rep I talked to overseas told me that I disconnect my service myself, and transferred to another Phone Company. I told her I didn't do that. She seemed to insist that, "yes, Ms McMullen you had to have done it otherwise it wouldn't have happened. (She and the other  ATT Representatives I talked to were confused as to how it happened if I didn't do it myself.  In the next 2 days that followed, NONE of the ATT Representatives (not customers) mentioned the words, "Your phone number was ported out"   . I mentioned: "Is it possible I was hacked?" The first Rep said ATT could not be hacked. I talked to another Rep and a Supervisor and for the next couple of days was desperately trying to get my phone number working again...

Keep in mind....I have a big memorial coming up on Saturday for my boyfriend who was hit by a car and was in a coma for 3 days before doctors declared him brain dead.

JUST  SAYIN'

Yes, you can keep blaming me for this happening. I'm sure it was my fault. However, It's the way ATT handled it. It's the way you are handling it right now.  You probably don't mean to sound sarcastic or condescending but this is how I am interpreting your responses. Personally I have NO IDEA how it happened. I was contacted by Capital One and Credit Karma last week that my data was compromised so I was in the process of working with that....But then again, I'm planning a Memorial for Boyfriend after he has died tragically.... 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.3K Messages

2 y ago

@wlmcmullen118 wrote:

Liz,  I'm already aware of everything you've mentioned in your response...

What I mean by Representatives......

When I call ATT for an issue, a problem; I am taken to an ATT Phone Representative  (Not a customer).  The Rep I talked to overseas told me that I disconnect my service myself, and transferred to another Phone Company. I told her I didn't do that. She seemed to insist that, "yes, Ms McMullen you had to have done it otherwise it wouldn't have happened. (She and the other  ATT Representatives I talked to were confused as to how it happened if I didn't do it myself.  In the next 2 days that followed, NONE of the ATT Representatives (not customers) mentioned the words, "Your phone number was ported out"   . I mentioned: "Is it possible I was hacked?" The first Rep said ATT could not be hacked. I talked to another Rep and a Supervisor and for the next couple of days was desperately trying to get my phone number working again...

Keep in mind....I have a big memorial coming up on Saturday for my boyfriend who was hit by a car and was in a coma for 3 days before doctors declared him brain dead.

JUST  SAYIN'

Miccheck: I can't imagine what you're going through and to have this come up at the same time is simply tragic.

Yes, you can keep blaming me for this happening. I'm sure it was my fault. However, It's the way ATT handled it. It's the way you are handling it right now.  You probably don't mean to sound sarcastic or condescending but this is how I am interpreting your responses. Personally I have NO IDEA how it happened. I was contacted by Capital One and Credit Karma last week that my data was compromised so I was in the process of working with that....But then again, I'm planning a Memorial for Boyfriend after he has died tragically.... 

Miccheck: The thing is, it doesn't sounds like you KNOW what happened, but expect your vague explanations to explain it to AT&T (and us). 

Miccheck: Again, this is a horrible situation, but the information you have (at least what you've given us) doesn't make it simple to resolve. Based upon  this post, it seems like you were affected by a larger identity theft scenario, which is completely different from what you described before.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

2 y ago

First, i’m So sorry.  What a horrible thing to happen, and difficult for all who loved him.  

Second,   I realize you’re hurting, but no one here is being sarcastic or condescending. We are trying to give you the facts, and clarify what happened.  

Thank you for confirming - your phone was not hacked.  You may say it’s picking nits , but it’s  inaccurate  to say your phone was hacked when it was your account/accounts.   Just being precise.   

It is very easy to port out a phone number if you have hacked into someone’s email account, used it to change pin codes to cell account, and access to the wireless account, and possibly your bank account. 

Most people have two-step authorization on their email, and their financial institutions, to prevent hackers from getting access without the phone number.  If your email and financial are not secured, it’s all down hill, and piece of cake for the hacker.  

Again  all that is required to port out your number his account number and pin code. This is an FCC requirement so that no carrier can tie up your phone number.    I’m sorry to say but you may have made it easy for them. 

This isn’t a matter of fault, it is simply how things work. I will include a link about preventing identity theft and cyber security which you may find helpful. (You are a victim!)

https://www.usa.gov/identity-theft

https://www.lifewire.com/two-step-authentication-yahoo-1174470

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.1K Messages

2 y ago

BTW: we both seem to think this is identity theft, which should be reported to the police.  They have all kinds of great information on recovery.  Including protecting your SS# and tax filings.  

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.