Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
BIGKAHUNAS's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thu, Jan 1, 2015 11:34 AM

I've Lost all my phone numbers Thanks to ATT

I received a text message from ATT right before Christmas around the 15th, that said, I need to come in and update my simm card for replacement. So i went to my local office , paid my bill and asked a rep" about this.He looked at my account and said , Yes, let me take care of that for you. So he left and installed the simm card if front of m, and as i thanked him, i walked out and noticed the phone didn't work. So i noticed the simm card was backwards, ( simple mistake)  and reinserted it.Then the horror hit me! Where's all my contacts ? I rushed back in a said, Dude, where's all my data? He said , you didn't tell me,you wanted it? Now, i've been a ATT customer for over 10 years, and have had simm replacements  done before, and ALL have taken my phone, and given it back to me as they found , with my data transferred. And to add insult to injury, My p.c. hard drive two days before fried, and i lost all my back up info ( phone numbers) on it. So when i asked for help a assistant store manager, bumped the guy and said "I can handle this" she claimed there was nothing she can do, (without even apologise's ) I was furious, and explained that there was at least 5 years of business contacts i needed, and all you've got to do is get my simm card and transfer the data. She told me it's in a safe and she don't have the key, so there's nothing they can do.I explained to her AGAIN, when does the security company come to take these cards? She said I don't know, rudely, and walked away.Now i've called customer service and explained this, and does anyone  really care?.I've heard back from NO ONE..... Is there a training standard procedure that ATT employees have when this situation occurs? or am i just another angry customer ready to ring in the NEW YEAR with another phone service? I must be a lamo, then, and it must be ALL MY fault that i didn't see all the signs of irresponsibility and common sense, and respect to others, in that store first, because,every time i've been in that office, to pay my bill at the  ATT kisko, the disco music is so loud, that you cannot even speak, in a normal tone of voice,  let alone concentrate, to do any sort of decision work...So this Christmas, all my clients that have treated me so well in 2014, never got my Christmas wishes, and I can surely expect some of them ,not to be there in 2015, Thanks to a couple of you at ATT........Signed:   Mr. Really Lamo...................

Responses

pzjagd

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

6 y ago

I'm not understanding this at all; your contacts are not stored on the sim card. Did they do a factory reset and if so, why?

Not to belittle your problem, but I guess the lesson learned is NEVER let anyone touch your phone without backup, especially such valuable information such as business contacts. You could have backed up your data in a dozen places other than your computer; cloud, google, an SD card..........

deenalove08

Guru

• 

901 Messages

6 y ago

I am sorry with what happened to you, but nowadays people put their contacts on Google. So when they get a new phone, all they need to do is sign in to their Google account and all their contacts will be on the new phone. Also if you are using your computer they are able to see the contacts that way too. Like you said whenever you got a new sim they would take your phone, why didn't you say something at that time? Again sorry with what happened to you, but hopefully it doesn't happen again.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

84.1K Messages

6 y ago

Your contacts aren't on the SIM card.
Not only are my contacts on my device, but they are backed up in more than one place. The Lookout software backs up every 24 hours. Then the AT&T locker backs up also. And I use google as default storage for all contacts.

If your contacts are not not he phone, a restore is in order from one of these.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
MR_SMiT

ACE - Professor

• 

1.8K Messages

6 y ago

Sorry for problems. But I do not understand the part where your SIM card needed to be updated for replacement, or why SIM card have to be replaced in the first place. You should have copied info on PC hard drive to USB memory stick, before PC hard drive friedSmiley Surprised

Hardcore Pittsburgh Steelers Fan
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

84.1K Messages

6 y ago

That does seem fishy.
I have never been asked to exchange a SIM card.
Nor have I ever been told my old card (which is of no use and is usually returned, taped to the credit card sized cardboard it came from) was locked in a safe, or thrown away.
And never has an employee put a SIM card in wrong.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

iT WAS FISHY AT THE START , BUT IT BEING THE HOLIDAY'S, AND THINGS WERE BEING RUSHED,AND IT WAS A OFFICIAL ATT MESSAGE, I JUST WENT TO PAY MY BILL, THEN REMEMBERED THE TEXT, AND INQUIRED ABOUT IT. HE STATED THEY GET OUTDATED AND NEED TO BE REPLACED .AND HE TOOK THEW PHONE BROUGHT IT BACK AND THEN INSTALLED IT BACKWARDS I LEFT ,NOTICED IT, AND THEN THE DAMAGE WAS DONE. AS FAR AS I KNOW THE ATTITUDE IN HANDLING MY DILEMMA WAS UN EXCUSABLE. AS FOR BACK UP, KEEP IN MIND, NOT EVERYONE ON THIS EARTH "UP TO DATE" WITH ALL TECHNOLOGY AND THE ADVANCES IN COMMUNICATIONS THAT OCCUR MONTHLY, OR SHOULD I GO AS FAR TO SAY WEEKLY OR EVEN DAILY. PUTTING ONE'S LIFE STYLE INTO A MOBILE DEVICE, OR SHOULD I SAY CELL PHONE ? IN A  LIST TO CALL WHEN THE ie: USER- that me !  CHOOSES TOO ,ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. BUT NOT HAVING THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, or KNOWLEDGE,or TOOLS, what so ever you prefer to call it....FOR BACK -UP, NECESSARY TO DO SO, ISN'T A CRIME EITHER. WHEN THE GENERATION THAT LIVES WITHIN THESE WALLS, EMERGE AND  REALISES THAT EVERYONE IS NOT A MIRROR IMAGE OF THEM SELVES, MAYBE A PRACTICAL SOLUTION ,"MORE OUR SPEED" WOULD BE IN ORDER. ...AND WHEN ASKED IN LIFE "WHAT WOULD JESUS DO" ,DON'T OFFER HIM A  UPGRADE TO HIS EXISTING PLAN.  Courtesy, Common Sense, and Caring, to some one, goes alot further than most can imagine....remember your father's, mother's,grandmother's, grandfather's , uncles, stranger's, nurses,random elderly people from the generations of those who fought on foreign land ,so YOU, may have your freedom.to learn and know more about these things.  that many of you turn your backs on us, when we ask for simple help with........put that in your p.c. and smoke it

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 y ago

NOT EVERYONE ON THIS EARTH "UP TO DATE" WITH ALL TECHNOLOGY AND THE ADVANCES IN COMMUNICATIONS THAT OCCUR MONTHLY, OR SHOULD I GO AS FAR TO SAY WEEKLY OR EVEN DAILY. PUTTING ONE'S LIFE STYLE INTO A MOBILE DEVICE, OR SHOULD I SAY CELL PHONE ? IN A  LIST TO CALL WHEN THE ie: USER- that me !  CHOOSES TOO ,ISN'T ROCKET SCIENCE. BUT NOT HAVING THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, or KNOWLEDGE,or TOOLS, what so ever you prefer to call it....FOR BACK -UP, NECESSARY TO DO SO, ISN'T A CRIME EITHER. WHEN THE GENERATION THAT LIVES WITHIN THESE WALLS, EMERGE AND  REALISES THAT EVERYONE IS NOT A MIRROR IMAGE OF THEM SELVES, MAYBE A PRACTICAL SOLUTION ,"MORE OUR SPEED" WOULD BE IN ORDER. ...AND WHEN ASKED IN LIFE "WHAT WOULD JESUS DO" ,DON'T OFFER HIM A  UPGRADE TO HIS EXISTING PLAN.  Courtesy, Common Sense, and Caring, to some one, goes alot further than most can imagine....remember your father's, mother's,grandmother's, grandfather's , uncles, stranger's, nurses,random elderly people from the generations of those who fought on foreign land ,so YOU, may have your freedom.to learn and know more about these things.  that many of you turn your backs on us, when we ask for simple help with........

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

84.1K Messages

6 y ago

Okay, you lost me in the rant...
My parents are last generation, new to cell phones and use email and other
electronics. But are in the habit, since before technology, of keeping
paper records.
If you don't embrace the new technology, hang onto the old paper. . . Your
old phone could have been lost , stolen or damaged at anytime (like now)
and you would be equally inconvenienced.
In short, no excuse. You must always have a back up, especially for
business contacts.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

6 y ago

Hi @BIGKAHUNAS

I’m sorry to hear that your contacts were lost after a recent SIM replacement. I’d like to offer our help to try to resolve this for you. May I ask what model device you are using? If you are using a smartphone, it is likely the contacts have automatically been saved elsewhere. If you have a Gmail account, try logging in at google.com/contacts. Should no information be present there, next try signing in with your AT&T login details at AT&T Address Book. If using an iPhone, the contacts may be saved to iCloud.

Please let us know if you were able to find your contacts via any of these services!

Thank you,

Charise

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

I'm sorry this happened to you, and if I worked for the oligarchy AT&T it would not be in technical depts because I'm clumsy with tech talents The holy spirit did not add to my list of Fortay in professions and main vocations I'm qualified for and I deliberately know to stay away from the common for hire sign in cell store sales service windows no matter the higher salary offered , because I do not want to be ruin a persons life business or cause stress to levels of accidents like the wrong button pushed on the latest Hawaiian missile false disaster warning scare, and I am sorry some people got scraped up.  Now Saturday 01/27/18 AT&T address book for free bless AT&T as they saved and transferred my info when a spoiled brat adoult pc phone their stole my phone for fencing,devil's work and the authorities remanded him finally to a homeless shelter for punishment,but AT&T is following Goods orders by sharing their resources with people that do not have piles of money, and God appreciated their behavior here. Also, the miraculous God level of info and His level of Godspeed on touch sensitive machines like our computers and their interior components mixed in with human behavior even positive only it's guaranteed something like your contact list as I am losing chunks of vital numbers this weekend. AT&T services in the cloud and was supposed to have your business contacts in 2015 did you ever make contact because now In Jan 2018 it's Sunday 01/28 /18 and  Ultra tech support is not handling their calls It's 450 pm in Chicago. All can say is I have to ask for AT&T and pray they bother to pick and bother to transfer my info from the cloud. I hope your 2015 - 2018 Christmas New Year was and is blessed in business and please remember you have to be born again to validate your first and second life on this Frustrating Earth. Don't give up successful One. JDDprof Chicago sw.

Get started...

Ask a new question