Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
User3956764's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wed, Aug 22, 2018 4:26 PM

Is AT&T running a BOGO scam?

I was recently offered and accepted a BOGO offer from AT&T however, when I received my next bill I was in for a surprise. AT&T charged me considerably more than agreed without saying a word. I contacted AT&T and they told me that, that offer had already ended. I have been trying desperately to get AT&T to honor our agreement for over 6 months now. I have been on the phone with the company for 27 calls totaling 912 minutes and have had my service disconnected 3 times after being told that the account and bill would be put on hold and they will get back to me. Has anyone else had the same or similar issue with AT&T?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

88.2K Messages

3 y ago

@lawyer6787

Read the thread.   Read the offers on the sales pages for phones.  

Its not a scam.  That would mean an intent to defraud from the start, which ATT is not doing.

Yes, customer service assumes you didn’t qualify, and hasn’t the stones to tell you, so they tell you anything to get you off the phone.  

Disputing valid charges is fraud.  One of 2 result will happen, ATT will dispute your dispute and get the money back, or they will blacklist the phones.  Either one will result in them screwing your credit score.  

I cannot in good conscience recommend going that route knowing ATT has more recourse.  

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@lawyer6787 wrote:

AT&T BOGO is a scam. It's obvious...just Google AT&T BOGO scam and you will find literally hundreds of complaints.

Google just about any large corporation that provides monthly service with the word "scam" and an offer/service and you'll get lots of complaints; I would think hundreds would be low for a corporation of that size.

The number of people who bother to read the offer and follow all the written steps properly and have a problem is going to be pretty low compared to those who did not and are shouting "scam".

Realistically, not a lot of people make posts when it works successfully.

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 y ago

AT&T BOGO is a scam. It's obvious...just Google AT&T BOGO scam and you will find literally hundreds of complaints.

Google "Verizon scam" or "T-Mobile Scam" and you'll find literally hundreds of complaints. AT&T has millions of customers, so if even one percent are unhappy, that's thousands of voices. But there have also been thousands of customers who are enjoying their BOGO credits right now because they did everything right. If a customer follows the terms of the BOGO deal, the credits kick in, so there's no scam. There's only a problem because there are a lot of strings attached that people don't pay attention to. If you tried to get a free device and didn't follow the requirements, then yes, arguing with customer service is a waste of time. Escalate with a complaint to the FCC or BBB, and Executive Escalations might give you the credit, but it's not a guarantee.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

88.2K Messages

3 y ago

Lots of people may think Verizon doesn’t have this problem.  They absolutely do.  And switch problems, etc.  Im a member of Verizon forums.   I’m a former and current line holder.  

Verizon sanitizes it’s forum, AT&T does not.  Any post that implies fraud or lies by Verizon gets removed.  Replies that don’t fit their narrative get deleted.  If you write BBB or FCC those get removed.  

The email still goes out if getting notices, but I have a saying, “read fast”.   Can’t tell you how often I get an email notice to a thread or post big red removed.  

I have on a couple of occasions challenged the removal or locking of posts and they relent.  But for the most part they are not interested in projecting an honest picture of their customer service.  

I respect AT&T for at least letting it all hang out.  Thy edit, but don’t usually remove.  

BTW, this post wouldn’t last on Verizon.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

3 y ago

After 20 years of service and being a valued customer, I went to the store to buy a phone for my daughter. AT&T told me if you buy one get one free promotion. They AT&T rep said that there is no contract or obligations. After I get the deal, I saw a credit on my bill and they lock my phone until the phone is paid off. I paid off the phone and when to T-Mobile because I was so frustrated with their service. I have been with AT&T for 20 years as a valued customer and now I am leaving with a mad face because I was lied at the time I bought the phone and find out that what they say is not what is in the contract. I agree that AT&T does not take any responsibility like they use to. I have been for a month on the phone trying to fix the problem. Their customer service on the line is so bad. I hardly find someone can understand me. Plus they made me paid the for the other phone which mean i lost the buy one get one deal. I am so frustrated and I am leaving AT&T and i will never come back unless they honor. I wasted so much time on the phone with their rep trying to explain them. Plus the hold period to reach someone is outrageous. I waiting 120 hours total on the phone for this month. It's ridiculous. Well AT&T! Thank you very much for your dear service. Now Verizon and t-mobile is welcoming me for the next 25 years of my life of service. I don't want to waste a dime on AT&T.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@brostom78 wrote:

After 20 years of service and being a valued customer, I went to the store to buy a phone for my daughter. AT&T told me if you buy one get one free promotion. They AT&T rep said that there is no contract or obligations.

There is only an obligation if you want the phone for free. You can leave at any time, but it's not free anymore.

Sorry, cell phone companies don't give away $700 items for free without a catch.

I understand you might have been told something else, but it makes sense if you think about it. You didn't walk out of there with two phones, you walked out of there with two payment plans.

If someone is offering you something that valuable FOR FREE, and you have nothing in writing that it's free, it's definitely worth the time to do a quick Google search.

Plus they made me paid the for the other phone which mean i lost the buy one get one deal. I am so frustrated and I am leaving AT&T and i will never come back unless they honor. I wasted so much time on the phone with their rep trying to explain them.

The deal was to buy it and stay for 24 months. I'm sorry.

Plus the hold period to reach someone is outrageous. I waiting 120 hours total on the phone for this month

Highly unlikely, that's FOUR hours per day for 30 days... (If you make $7.50 an hour or more, it'd be cheaper to work it off.)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

I am recently encountering this issue. The bad part about it is that the rep actually wrote out on a piece of paper that I qualified for the promo, signed it and allowed me to take a picture of him writing that guarantee down, and they still wont honor it. I'm so frustrated and it's like they don't care cause they have millions of subscribers. I could switch to T-Mobile or Verizon but I shouldn't have to do all that! I'm starting to wonder if this is false advertising or bait-and-switch. They promised me something signed in writing and are going back on their word. Isn't that them breaking a contract?

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@segtex wrote:

I am recently encountering this issue. The bad part about it is that the rep actually wrote out on a piece of paper that I qualified for the promo, signed it and allowed me to take a picture of him writing that guarantee down, and they still wont honor it.

Can you post the photo? Block out personal info!

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 y ago

@segtex What the salesman wrote down isn't a contract. When you agree to the terms and conditions, that's what's legally binding. I said it before, it doesn't matter if it was written down in the salesperson's blood. What matters is what the computer says. A computer checks the account to see if the purchase matches the requirements, and adds the credits automatically. Instead of having the salesman write down that you qualified and take a picture, you should have checked the requirements yourself to make sure you qualified for the BOGO.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

I asked the rep what the promotion was and yes I did ask the rep for the written requirements so I could review them myself. I don't automatically assume their gonna do their job. I know I have to do their job as well even though I am the consumer. Besides, as a consumer it's my job to make sure that some rep isn't gonna purposely misinform me so he can make commission and hit his numbers. However, he told me there were no written materials available that I could view and that I wasn't able to view the info he was reading from the tablet either since it was proprietary information yadi yadi ya. His words, not mine. So you better bet your "you know what" that after sitting there for almost an hour and even getting him frustrated by repeatedly asking him if he was sure I qualified that I was gonna have him write and sign that he verified my qualifications and that he informed me that I qualified and of course I was gonna take a picture of him writing that statement. I would also like to think that even in this day and age that a person can still be honest and trustworthy when they are informing you of a product or service that you are interested in. I mean any decent person with a soul and conscious should know that the person they lied to will go back to them angry and dissatisfied because of their greed which will only create more problems for the rep. I also refuse to let a computer have the final word on anything. I'm sure you know that a computer only knows and does what a human tells it to know and do. Every human makes mistakes. And the humans at ATT could certainly make an entry mistake and put in the wrong requirements for a BOGO thus allowing for a qualified bogo to go unaccepted. Are you a rep for ATT? Is this why you're answering these concerns with sass and blame on our, the customers, part? At the end of the day the rep gets paid to do their job and they should know their job that they are getting paid to do. They don't get paid to mislead, lie, trick or sucker people into their products and services. And if they are gonna work there then they'd better study long and hard and do their homework every time a new promo comes out so they don't have to misinform any consumer, ever! And if they think it's too much to keep up with the constant promos and requirements for said promos then they need to get another job! Plain and simple!

QuarryRye

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

3 y ago

I don't work for AT&T, and computers do make mistakes, but it's one thing for a computer to make a mistake. It's another thing for the computer to make the right decision and not agree with it.

It sounds like the salesman did lie to you, because the BOGO promotion requirements aren't proprietary information. They're clearly spelled out on AT&T's website, and are really quite simple.

"Buy 1 eligible smartphone and get 1 free when you add a new line and purchase both on AT&T Next® or AT&T Next Every Year®."

Did you buy two eligible phones? Did you add a line or did you add DirecTV service? Those are some of the things you would need to qualify for the BOGO.

https://www.att.com/deals/buy-one-get-one-offer.html​

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

15.8K Messages

3 y ago

@QuarryRye wrote:

@segtex What the salesman wrote down isn't a contract. When you agree to the terms and conditions, that's what's legally binding.

That said, it doesn't mean AT&T won't honor it. Do they have to? No. But if you have proof a salesperson says that, I'd hope they make good.

Instead of having the salesman write down that you qualified and take a picture, you should have checked the requirements yourself to make sure you qualified for the BOGO.

Obviously, this is the simplest thing to do. Read it or Google it. If you can't find it, then don't take the chance.

I've been offered some things by salespeople, a free tablet with commitment, while they lied about the commitment. 

I've had salespeople incorrectly say that the unlimited plans will use your current discount when it wasn't true; they said this for months after the new unlimited plans came out last year. You have to consider they might be just plain wrong.

@segtex wrote:

I would also like to think that even in this day and age that a person can still be honest and trustworthy when they are informing you of a product or service that you are interested in.

They can be, but the reality is that they all aren't AND they aren't all always correct.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

88.2K Messages

3 y ago

@segtex

The people responding do not work for ATT in any way.   At&t reps are clearly identified. 

The computer is programmed with these BOGO requirements, and they are applied if all virtual boxes are checked.  (Not unlike grocery store sales.).   

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

3 y ago

I got tricked by AT&T employees for BOGO offer in August, 2018. They called me 2-3 times to upgrade my iPhone to new one and offered BOGO, if I am taking another phone for new line. I took the offer. After a month, when they charged me monthly installment for free phone, I called them and they said that they will credit back after 3 months back. I was upset but waited for 3 months and I again called today (12/05/2018) for the same. As usual, the new person picked up the phone and he clearly said that I am not eligible for the offer because I didn't take new TV connection at that time. I swear, they never mentioned this at the time I took the BOGO offer. In-fact that time, I got 3 calls for the same offer. After I argued for the agent today (12/05/2018), he connected me to Attorney. Attorney name is Terrasa Scetta. This lady was really pathetic, not able to speak, hardly speaking, keeping me on hold for longer period, so that I can drop the call. She gave me number of excuses to turn away....Finally when she realized that I am leaving her until the case is resolved. She submitted the case (# CAM20181205138009243) to her manager and she mentioned in the case that this BOGO offer was only for Samsung phone and NOT for iPhones. I got really shocked because this excuse I heard first time in my all conversations in last four months. now I am completely trapped because I can't return the phone also.

I am very upset and want to cut all my relationships with AT&T. I have been with AT&T for last 12 years, having 3 lines in my plan until they offered me BOGO in August, 2018, then I added 4th line. So, I have 4 lines at this time.

They are really shameless people. In my every conversation, even today, when I was upset and arguing with them, they were trying to sell other services to me such as TV, home phone etc... I will never take any service from them and will start finding a new provider for my phone lines.

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.