Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
Need help understanding your bill?
SLMRincon's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 25th, 2015 3:25 AM

IRS or Federal Court house

Receiving strange voice mail calls claiming to be IRS and cant reach us by mail or they are from the Federal Court House. They have very strong accents and both numbers shows they are calling from VA, USA . Has anyone else receiving these types of calls? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

9 years ago

Yep. If you talk to them, they tell you, if you don't send money right away, they will freeze your accounts, etc.
It's a scam. The IRS notifies you by mail.

If your bored, call them back and ask questions. I just about gave the guy a stoke he was so mad.

Administrator

• 

994 Messages

9 years ago

@SLMRincon, here is some additional information, from http://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Repeats-Warning-about-Phone-Scams:

f you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS, here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or you think you might owe taxes, call the IRS at 1.800.829.1040. The IRS employees at that line can help you with a payment issue, if there really is such an issue.
  • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to think that you owe any taxes (for example, you’ve never received a bill or the caller made some bogus threats as described above), then call and report the incident to TIGTA at 1.800.366.4484.
  • You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes.

Hope this helps!
Dave

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I am getting the same robo calls from different area codes. I even got a mass mailing from a lawyer in Walnut Creek. This has to be illegal who do you call.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Randall29 wrote:

I am getting the same robo calls from different area codes. I even got a mass mailing from a lawyer in Walnut Creek. This has to be illegal who do you call.

Of course it is illegal but there really is no one to call and it is pointless anyway since the scammers aren't even in the US.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said Smiley Indifferent

I've received the calls myself. Wife wants to talk to them next time and ask if she has time to pack me a lunch when they take me to jail Smiley Surprised

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

I offered to pay right away, take money right to the local IRS office.  That did not make him happy at all.  LOL.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

(713) 543-1120 this number is calling people saying the IRS has filed a law suit against you, yeah right, scam. This is a AT&T mobile number so AT&T please deal with it and disconnect

ACE - Sage

• 

118.3K Messages

8 years ago

I can't believe it, they called me today.  A robotic female voice telling me they were filing a lawsuit.  My call was from 360 area code for Washington.  

What is really annoying is the twice a day calls from "Card service, this is your last chance to lower your interest rate..."

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I always call them back and tell them that I am suing them for fraud. Is there a way for AT&T to investigate these numbers?  The number that is calling me this morning is: 949-463-2574.  It is a cell number from Laguna.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.2K Messages

8 years ago

Chances are that it is a spoofed number. The call originates from outside the US and spoofs a US number. You have to be careful calling back some numbers. If they are from outside the US, you will get a HUGE bill.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.