Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 8/31. See all protection plans.
S

• 

4 Messages

Wed, Apr 15, 2020 3:50 PM

IRS Cannot Verify My Identity Using Mobile Number

AT&T - Am not trying to update my personal information with the IRS.

Am trying to register for access to my account with the IRS.

Have to provide several pieces of identifying information in order to gain access.

The final step in the ID process asks for my mobile phone number and says that the IRS will use it to confirm with my mobile Carrier the name and address information already provided in the other steps of the process.

After inputting my mobile phone number which I’ve had with AT&T since 1996 (via the names Bellsouth Mobility, Cingular Wireless, AT&T), an error message displays saying the IRS was unable to verify my identity with my mobile carrier.

I don’t know if this is because AT&T does not provide the identifying information, or because there is a discrepancy between what I listed and what is on file with AT&T.

With all of this spelled out, can you please escalate this to the correct department within AT&T so I and others in the same boat can get some answers???

The normal alternative is to verify identify with a PIN by mail. But due to COVID-19 pandemic, the IRS is not doing PIN by mail right now so I have no way to get access to my IRS account!

Responses

• 

4 Messages

4 months ago

@swkathi I'm having this same issue. Copying my comment from a prior thread:

" I am in this exact same predicament! I need my 2018 tax return in order to file this years returns. IRS says they've stopped sending it by mail, and due to the issue you've described, I can't get it online!

(edited)

• 

5 Messages

Same problem here. I spent 2 hours w/ ATT yesterday; starting w/ Anna on Chat and ending w/ someone at 1.800.288.2020. I was told the next time I could attempt to register, I was suspended for 24 hours for trying to register too many times, I would not have a problem.

Unfortunately another-day-same-problem.

• 

5 Messages

The saga continues. I spent less time w/ ATT Chat and they had me make sure there weren't any updates needed. I had an update. They said that should fix the problem. But now I can't get the IRS to send me the first code to my email address. It's as if the code behind the button was commented out. BTW, the Cancel button works fine.

• 

4 Messages

What sort of update did you need? That may be my issue as well.

• 

5 Messages

I needed to update my iPhone OS. I'm still haven't been successful.

• 

5 Messages

I should clarify, I updated my OS but still can't create an IRS acct.

• 

4 Messages

Gotcha!

• 

4 Messages

4 months ago

I am having the same issue. I actually have several phones on my AT&T account and none could be verified. It seems no one at AT&T is willing to help with this situation either. I saw your other post where @constructive (I think was his screen name) was of ZERO help with his comments. Another person from AT&T had tried to offer help above your post. But I agree with your assessment that they didn't quite understand the issue. I hope we can get some sort of resolution to this issue soon since it seems a lot of the IRS' systems are either down or unmanned at this time due to COVID-19.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

9K Messages

4 months ago

I don't think AT&T is able to answer why the IRS can't verify you. Contacting the IRS should be the first stop.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

@MicCheck I ran into the same issue getting a USPS account and I’ve seen others with the same issue trying to sign up for an account with social security. Yes, it could be the government systems or the interface but with so many systems having the same issue, good chance it’s on the ATT side. Whatever it is, it’s going to take someone very knowledgeable to troubleshoot.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

8 Messages

3 months ago

are they just planning on ignoring all of this?

• 

4 Messages

Certainly looks that way doesn’t it?

• 

8 Messages

it sure does....

• 

4 Messages

Question is, are we going to be penalized by the IRS for something we have no workaround for?

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

@M_79 This is a customer to customer forum, not customer support. Even if the issue is on ATT’s side, there is no one here that can do anything about it. So, not being ignored so much as nothing anyone on this forum can do.

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

40.2K Messages

@ethanfischer That’s a question for the IRS.

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

I'm on verizon and having the same issue with IRS. I even went to register a new line today and see if it will work (after 24 hours). From some t-mobile forum people find that you need to register your real legal name with caller id display to get it work. I tried today but failed. good luck guys.

• 

2 Messages

2 months ago

So I had the same issue, when I looked on my ATT account i noticed my number was listed with a . between them... e.g 201.xxx.xxxx, so I used the same format on the IRS site and it worked.

• 

2 Messages

was it a prepaid?

• 

2 Messages

no.. post paid

• 

1 Message

2 months ago

I have a prepaid account and was wondering if it was the same way. I signed with expiran and it was okay on that end. AT&T doesn’t have caller ID for prepaid.  so I was wondering if prepaid would work. I had another phone number with expirian at first and it sent me to the request a paper with the code on it thing. So I’m wondering if In 72 hours of updating the expirain account if it would work

• 

8 Messages

a month ago

does anyone got any solution to this? 

• 

8 Messages

a month ago

i was able to solve my problem  

I have read several post sayings that you need a postpaid number with a caller id matching your name. But I can confirm that I was able to do it with an AT&T prepaid number after struggling at first.

While I can’t be certain what made it work, this is what I changed.

important points are:

1.    the name on the account needs to be the same used in the 1040 that you submitted in your last tax return. I think this includes case. so joel vs Joel would likely make a difference. Also, whether you used abbreviations or not for the middle names or last names (if you have more than one). Just review it and be certain that the name matches exactly. You can go to att.com/prepaid , login -> my profile to edit the information. it takes about 24 hours to update the name. I also updated the phone number and email.

2.    I was wondering if the format of the number matter, well, I don’t know for sure but the format I used when typing the number in the webpage followed the format NPA-NXX-xxxx (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_Numbering_Plan)

3.    I sent one SMS message from my phone to 77958 with text IN

This would opt-in to the IRS password system and if you get a response from the IRS you are sure that the IRS can send messages to your phone which is also needed.

Some other threads were saying that your data needs to be correct in Experian.com. I think that is true for the credit account or loan verification but after that step I believe the name registered with the phone carrier is what matters. Some people mentioned that if the report is frozen by them it would fail. You can call them if you have problems at the credit/loan.etc account verification.

Hope this helps others struggling with this, specially that due to covid this is the only way to get the transcripts for now.

I did call a CPA with eService access, and that is an option, but they need to Fax the signed power of attorney with the IRS and the IRS needs to respond. I think they are also responding slower these days so it will take a while to get the transcripts *I think*

Get started...

Ask a new question