Need help understanding your bill?
2213ana's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, February 6th, 2017 8:33 AM

Insurance Claim and Upgrade eligibility

Okay so in September 2016 I had issues with my phone to where it would charge at all so att told me to file an insurance claim with Asurion, which I did. I paid the 120 deductible and they gave me a galaxy s7 edge because they no longer made the note edge, which was what I had. Okay so fast forward to now I should have been ready for an upgrade at the end of December 2016 because the last time I had an upgrade was 2014. But our account says I'm not available till April 2018, nobody used my upgrade. Also my phone was paid off but when I got the new one with the insurance claim they starting charging an extra 40 a month, we just noticed this. My question is did they use the new phone I got as my upgrade? A phone I did not even want (they did not let me choose they said it was a free little upgrade since the note edge was no longer made)? Did the claim with asurion mess it up? Does anyone have any tips or ideas as to why this happened before I go talk to them?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Apparently your phone bill is outrageous like mine so you don't hardly notice an extra $40? If your phone was paid off then they made an error and you should be blowing their phone up until you get it resolved.  It does sound like they did it as an upgrade but taking your $125 for a deductible shows an error on their part.  If they replaced your phone with another comparable one, that's on them. If they told you this was an upgrade and you agreed, demand your $125 back.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

I think the answer lies in what that extra $40 charge is for. What does your bill say it is for? As for an upgrade, hopefully you realize there are no 2 year contract upgrades anymore. All ATT phones are now sold at full retail price. Upgrade eligible only means you are eligible to buy a phone on an installment (Next) plan, which you might still be eligible for anyway. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

As @sandblaster suggested, read your bills, starting in August and September.   Without knowing exactly what the $40 is for, or even if your bill increased, its guess work.   

My gut tells me a $40 increase is not an installment payment, that would be an unusually large installment.   I would look for other changes in service.

FYI in 2014 the upgrade options with Next were different. My sons had installment plans that were 26 or 28 months.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Asurion told me it was a free upgrade from them since they no longer had the note edge and the new ones were recalled, it was the only phone they said they could give me.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@2213ana   As asked, please check your account to see what changes occurred.  

It is entirely normal for Asurion to replace a phone they don't have, with a phone they do have, in this case, a newer phone with better specs.  They do not charge extra for this..

This is unlikely to be related to the change in your bill.   

The only way to determine the cause of increase, is to actually read the bill.  Please go back to August bills to see what your regular payment was.  Then look for changes to data plan, new devices, etc.  

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Yes I wanted to get my upgrade on an installment plan when it was time because I no longer wanted an android. I was due for one at the end of December, but now it says I can't do that until 2018 which makes no sense. I'm going Saturday to go talk to them but I always have a hard time when I go in because nobody wants to actually help.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

You're right the extra 40 is for the phone I have now that was given to me by Asurion.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

7 years ago

Do you know how I shoukd go about this, will it be easier to go into the store or call customer service?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Now that you know, call ATT right away.  There should not be an installment for an insurance replacement.  There is a one time deductible.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

$40 for phone installment sounds way to high. I'm betting it's a $40 access charge for a phone under contract. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.