Check out AT&T's Valentine's Day Gift Guide for ideas & deals on the new Samsung Galaxy S23!
Need help understanding your bill?
Jlindberg's profile

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, November 17th, 2022 10:29 PM

Impossible to cancel service while deployed

AT&T is making it impossible to cancel my service.  I have not used it for three years due to being overseas for the Army on military orders.  I suspended my account when I first came overseas.  Am now trying to cancel entirely because the suspension time is maxed out and I have no idea when/if I will return to the US, given world affairs.  I have spent at least six hours on the phone and online chat and nobody will cancel my account because I do not remember my passcode.  I have not used the phone or passcode for 3 years; I do not remember what it was.  They keep telling me they can send me a new passcode on the phone, which is inoperable because of where I am located.  Then they say I should come into the store to cancel, which I obviously cannot do.  I can get into my online account and there are obviously identify verification questions they can ask me since I do not have my passcode, but are instead making it impossible to cancel.  I am out hundreds of dollars because they keep charging me throughout this process of trying to cancel a phone I cannot use.  Customer service has been awful, passing me from person to person for hours.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

3 months ago

@Jlindberg

Did you suspend?  If you suspended service, the suspension is for 999 days for one penny per month.  If you have been paying one penny per month, then you did indeed suspend which is not what military members on deployment should do. 

https://www.att.com/es-us//support/article/my-account/KM1045125/

Or cancel?  Military cancellation is for 39 months, there is no charge. 

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1046235/

If you canceled using the military cancellation policy, there's nothing to do but just let it go. You are already canceled.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

3 months ago

I get the frustration, but AT&T's not making anything impossible. You're just in a situation that's made it impossible. AT&T Help might come along and offer assistance in a private message. Otherwise, there's an email at the bottom of this page specific for members of the military. They might be able to provide additional options as well. 

Worst case scenario, cancel the card used to make the payments. The line will be canceled after a few months. If you don't pay the final bill after it's canceled, it will be a big credit hit, but that's probably better than paying full price until you are back. 

Fl_retire

ACE - Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

3 months ago

You should have cancelled your service annd unlocked your phone and AT&T would have held your number for up to 39 months. Link below on military cancellation. You may still be able to cancel and keep your number even though you are overseas. 

https://www.att.com/support/article/wireless/KM1046235/

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

3 months ago

@Fl_retire That's a great point! Since they haven't used the military cancellation yet, they should be able to do that now to keep the number without paying for 3 more years (once they are able to find someone with the authority to figure out other ways to verify).

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I initially suspended under the military program when I left. After 999 days, the account was automatically activated again and started charging. I tried to cancel, but ran into the passcode issue. I stop the form of payment, so the account went into default. It was suspended due to lack of payment, but the billing continues and it is going more and more into debt. I attempted to suspend again under the Military program. The link I was sent does not allow me to upload my orders. When I go to the military site as instructed, I have to login, and once I login it leaves the military site and goes back to the AT&T homepage.  Meanwhile, charges continue to accrue.

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

3 months ago

This is why suspension is not recommended, and is not supposed to be used for military deployment. If you read the links I provided, it's not even listed as an option for suspension. Military deployment is supposed to be a cancellation with number held for 39 months. There was no reason or a legitimate option to use suspension. 

You do not have the option to suspend, you never had the option to suspend 3 years ago it was done inappropriately. You should be submitting through military cancellation as in the second link.  It always should have gone through military cancellation as in the second link. 

Please use that information now, and plead your case as best you can for AT&T to cancel your plan retroactively without any charges as you are not and will not be back in the United States. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

12.7K Messages

3 months ago

If it was suspended for non-payment, it is automatically canceled after 60 days if the account isn't brought to a zero balance. 

• 

3 Messages

3 months ago

@formerlyknownas THANK YOU!!!  Your knowledge fixed this!  I didn’t understand when I started getting charged again.  I actually thought it was fraud.  The company said I did a temporary suspension and not a cancellation, so I figured I screwed up somewhere.  But now I was able to explain it with the info you provided and they cancelled the account.  I still paid some money because I was worried about bad credit and just wanted this done with, but your knowledge helped me get this done (finally!). Thank you so much!!

ACE - Sage

• 

104.2K Messages

3 months ago

@Jlindberg

That's good news, and thank you for the update. It's always nice to know that there was a resolution. I'm just sorry it puts you through so much stress for several months before getting one.

Thank you for your service, have a wonderful thanksgiving, and stay safe

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.