Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
zakatak's profile

Contributor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, March 5th, 2019 9:04 PM

Closed

I was without question scammed by an AT&T 'in home expert". What are you going to do about it?

I recently moved my family from PA to FL. Then moved again less than 4 months later because we hated the area. Needless to say moving twice in less than 6 months is very expensive and hurt my bank account. When I moved the second time to a beach community, it is on an island, so I was told that my options for cable and internet was limited due to where I live. they told me my only option was in fact Direct TV and satellite internet. I had no choice, so I ordered Direct TV. I later found out that was a lie and I had in fact called an ATT call center when asking about cable options. Anyway, that is just the tip of the iceberg. When the Direct TV tech left my house we sat down to eat dinner and there was a knock at the door. It was Jon, an ATT salesman disguised as a Direct TV employee. He said normally I come with the tech but couldn't make it in time. Im here to explain your Direct TV system to you. Meanwhile Ive had direct TV in the past, plus the tech explained it to me just fine. It was a ploy to get in my door. Jon then proceeded to stay at my house for close to 3 hours. It somehow went from him explaining Direct TV to me, to him trying to sell every thing ATT has to offer. Not what I asked for nor wanted. So my wife tried to make a phone call and the call wouldn't go through so Jon asked who my provider was. MY wife told him we were 20 year customers of Verizon. who, I might add would've never done something like this nor would they have handled it as poorly as ATT has. Then he asked how much we were paying. He said do you mind if I look at your bill. He looks at our bill for 15 min writing things down on his own form simultaneously. I had 4 lines with Verizon with unlimited everything with mobile hotspot. Jon said what if I can get you all in new phones of your choice, all you'd be responsible for would be the taxes and fees on the phones. You then provide me with your final bill from your old provider and we pay off the balance of that bill up to $750 per line that would be sent to me within 2-3 weeks. I could take care of the fees one of two ways. Pay cash out of pocket or he could trade in my iPhone 7plus' and he could take the taxes and fees out of the reimbursement for those phones. I told him that I would trade in the phones only if he could tell me what the trade in value was. He said his system was down and that he would get back to me with the price before he traded them. He took my phones so in the case that I agreed with the value we wouldn't have to meet up because he assured me that they gave very fair prices for the phones. Jon then told me the only thing left I had to do was to provide my final bill from Verizon and then just wait for my card in the mail. That was in October. Since then I Have spent over 36 hours on the phone with ATT trying to get them to follow through with the contract that we have. I have been bounced around from department to department and explained my situation 100 times. Ive written a letter to corporate and sent it to P.O. Box 10330 Fort Wayne, Indiana 46851. If I don't get some sort of swift fair resolution to this my next step is to the authorities, my lawyer, and the news. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.7K Messages

5 years ago

Here, read the switch offer:

https://inhomeswitch.att.com/#/home

It only reimburses what you owed Verizon  on phones.  Doesn’t matter what the trade in value is, only what your device payment balance was after you canceled with Verizon.

If you didn’t get any credits at all file a BBB complaint.  

FYI all carriers publish their promotions.  It’s advised that you always read them so you understand the deals. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

5 years ago

@zakatak wrote:

I recently moved my family from PA to FL. Then moved again less than 4 months later because we hated the area. Needless to say moving twice in less than 6 months is very expensive and hurt my bank account. When I moved the second time to a beach community, it is on an island, so I was told that my options for cable and internet was limited due to where I live. they told me my only option was in fact Direct TV and satellite internet. I had no choice, so I ordered Direct TV. I later found out that was a lie and I had in fact called an ATT call center when asking about cable options. Anyway, that is just the tip of the iceberg. When the Direct TV tech left my house we sat down to eat dinner and there was a knock at the door. It was Jon, an ATT salesman disguised as a Direct TV employee. He said normally I come with the tech but couldn't make it in time. Im here to explain your Direct TV system to you. Meanwhile Ive had direct TV in the past, plus the tech explained it to me just fine. It was a ploy to get in my door. Jon then proceeded to stay at my house for close to 3 hours. It somehow went from him explaining Direct TV to me, to him trying to sell every thing ATT has to offer. Not what I asked for nor wanted. So my wife tried to make a phone call and the call wouldn't go through so Jon asked who my provider was. MY wife told him we were 20 year customers of Verizon. who, I might add would've never done something like this nor would they have handled it as poorly as ATT has. Then he asked how much we were paying. He said do you mind if I look at your bill. He looks at our bill for 15 min writing things down on his own form simultaneously. I had 4 lines with Verizon with unlimited everything with mobile hotspot. Jon said what if I can get you all in new phones of your choice, all you'd be responsible for would be the taxes and fees on the phones. You then provide me with your final bill from your old provider and we pay off the balance of that bill up to $750 per line that would be sent to me within 2-3 weeks. I could take care of the fees one of two ways. Pay cash out of pocket or he could trade in my iPhone 7plus' and he could take the taxes and fees out of the reimbursement for those phones. I told him that I would trade in the phones only if he could tell me what the trade in value was. He said his system was down and that he would get back to me with the price before he traded them. He took my phones so in the case that I agreed with the value we wouldn't have to meet up because he assured me that they gave very fair prices for the phones. Jon then told me the only thing left I had to do was to provide my final bill from Verizon and then just wait for my card in the mail. That was in October. Since then I Have spent over 36 hours on the phone with ATT trying to get them to follow through with the contract that we have. I have been bounced around from department to department and explained my situation 100 times. Ive written a letter to corporate and sent it to P.O. Box 10330 Fort Wayne, Indiana 46851. If I don't get some sort of swift fair resolution to this my next step is to the authorities, my lawyer, and the news. 

Nothing you said there really seems like a "scam."

Did you provide your final bill from Verizon?

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I was promised a rate by an in-home swindler that AT&T is now refusing to honor. FRAUD.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

2 years ago

@ATandTisterrible If you have specific questions, please start a new thread. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.