Need help understanding your bill?
dwightrs70's profile

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, November 30th, 2022 11:11 PM

I received an iPhone and iPad I didn't order. Does AT&T verify the credit check they run?

I received an iPhone and an iPad at my old address in my name. I DID NOT create these accounts or order the devices, I only have this information from the paperwork I received with the devices and the billing statements I received this week. None of my credit cards were used to create these accounts or order these devices. Someone impersonated me, created these accounts, and ordered these devices to set me up for some reason. I don’t know if they used my SSN or not. It appears that AT&T’s website conducts some kind of a basic credit check. If my SSN was used, I need to know so I can alert the credit agencies. If my SSN was not used, why did AT&T allow this person to complete this transaction? I submitted a fraud inquiry with AT&T Global Fraud Management, but I haven’t heard from a fraud investigator yet. I need information about how these devices were ordered and the credit card used to pursue criminal charges against this person. Also, the two bills I received are due 12/4/2022, and I don’t know if a fraud investigator will get in touch with me before that, and I don’t want this to affect my credit report.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

1 year ago

That's really strange; I'm not sure what the identity thief has to gain since the devices were shipped to you. In any case, you can check your credit report and see if you SSN was used. If so, then file a police report. 

If not you probably have nothing to worry about, but file a BBB complaint to get in touch with someone from AT&T corporate who can make sure you take the correct next steps.

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

MicCheck, thank you, I appreciate the suggestions. I can't figure out what the identity thief/scammer had to gain either, which really bothers me.

• 

1 Message

1 year ago

This same thing happened to me today, an iPad was delivered to my old address in my name but none of my credit cards were used and my name isn't the main name on the account, so they wouldn't give me any more information. I haven't received any bills yet. What did AT&T have to say? Customer Service online wasn't helpful. I was told to take the device into an AT&T store for more information. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

1 year ago

The first one I'd say could be a shipping address mistake. The second one, I don't know. Sounds suspicious. But whatever the reason, do stay on top of your credit reports/cc's etc. And yes, do file a complaint to at least start a paper trail in case it's needed.

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

TheWiseOne, I submitted a fraud inquiry with AT&T. They closed the accounts and sent return labels for the devices. I also filed a police report for additional documentation.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.