Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
lim's profile

1 Message

Sunday, January 28th, 2024 3:49 PM

I left the US without cancelling my phone account

hello, I left the US without visiting the customer store and removing the line a few months ago.

So the AT&T website says if I didn't make a payment on prepaid, then the service shuts off automatically, which is what I hope to be true.

But some others say I'll be sent to collections. so which one is right? 

ACE - Master

• 

10.7K Messages

4 months ago

If it’s prepaid and you don’t refill the balance, service simply stops.  There are no collections because you are on a pay as you go plan, not a contract.  Postpaid service can be sent to collections because you a signing up for a recurring plan that stays until you explicitly cancel it, or port your number out.  Not paying it doesn’t stop the monthly billing.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.7K Messages

4 months ago

Prepaid service is not canceled by calling AT&T or by going to an AT&T store. Prepaid service is canceled by logging into your paygo online account and turning the autopay switch to the off position which stops any future refills. When you stop refilling your prepaid service it is automatically canceled on its own without any penalty whatsoever in 60 days.

If you did have prepaid and did not turn off auto-pay and are continuing to be charged, you either have to call AT&T and ask them to turn off auto-pay for you, or cancel the method of payment used so that AT&T can no longer do auto withdrawals

+1.408.962.1025

Prepaid service refills every 30 days. 

Postpaid service produces a bill on the exact same day every month and it has to be paid approximately 21 days later on the exact same day every month.

If you did have a bill produced every month on the same day and paid every month on the same day, then you had post paid service and you must call AT&T to cancel.

+1.314.925.6925

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.