Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
Domesticabusesurvivor's profile

1 Message

Thursday, February 15th, 2024 11:10 PM

How do I get my phone released when I’m not the account holder?

I am fleeing domestic violence. I have a family member who is willing to take over paying for my services on her own plan with a different carrier, but I need my phone released to me first. My abuser is the account holder. He said my phone is paid off, but he lied. I’m not sure how much is left to pay off. I may also have to travel internationally in order to escape. How do I go about getting my phone released to me? Can I get a court order to have it released? Am I able to offer to pay the rest off so that I may have my phone released? My abuser has my phone blocked from network use, so I cannot even call 611 and ask them any of this. What can I do? Please advise. Thank you so so much in advance.

ACE - Master


10.6K Messages

3 months ago

If you’re in NY and the victim of domestic violence, you can leave a shared account.

Otherwise, you’ll have to do a transfer of billing responsibility, which both the account holder and the individual taking over the line have to agree to.  Otherwise, you’ll have to try going through the legal process and get a court order to get off the account.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.