Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
Cherken9086's profile

Tutor

• 

32 Messages

Friday, October 27th, 2023 5:58 AM

How do I get my account updated to reflect that I returned my Next Up upgrade (upgrade reversal)?

I bought my Next Up upgrade on 09/24/23 through Apple website because ATT website was out of stock in the color I wanted. When I received the phone I changed my mind and returned it to Apple on 09/29/23. Apple received it and credited my account on 10/05/23 for the tax I’d paid. I’ve been trying to get ATT to reverse the returned upgrade ever since. It’s been a month now. I spoke to ATT on October 9, 10, 11, 12, 17, and 26. They repeatedly blame Apple for this.  I spoke to Apple each of those days and they verified on 10/26/23 that they have refunded ATT for the phone and the financing is no longer tied to my line and has been cancelled

My ATT account still shows the financing arrangement for the returned upgrade. I’m paying on & being billed for this returned phone. Again for emphasis, this is the return for which Apple has already refunded ATT. Apple said they’ve done their part and there’s no reason I can’t get an upgrade reversal from ATT.

I have now spent over 12 hrs on calls and well over 12 hrs typing, was disconnected by ATT 6+ times, and have opened cases with ATT & BBB. I was reassured on 10/17/23 that this would be updated on 10/26/23. I spent another 2 hours on calls with ATT on 10/26. I have reopened my BBB case against ATT because the ATT rep I spoke to on 10/26/23 told me it’s my responsibility to correct this. I don’t know how this is possible because I’m not employed by ATT.
My current phone which I had before ordering the upgrade, and am still using is over half paid off. Yet my account says I owe over double this cost and have only paid 1 of 36 pymts which was taken out of the Octobers bill payment and applied toward this phone I don’t have, and again, returned and Apple has refunded ATT for. I’ve seen many other comments of others having this same problem. Some of them still hadn’t gotten this resolved after 6 months. I ASSURE YOU THAT I WILL NOT BE WAITING THAT LONG. I expect my account updated or the phone I’m being charged for sent back to me. The ATT rep I spoke to on 10/26/23 INSISTED to me that I have not returned this phone, when Apple has previously told ATT several times via conference calls between me, ATT & Apple reps that I have returned it. On this most recent call the ATT rep told me to call Apple myself and wouldn’t let me speak with a supervisor. I’ve explained this to many people from start to finish at least 5 times now. I have this all documented and actually texted many pages to one rep who tried his hardest but was told by his supervisor that it’s not ATTs responsibility to update this. He was very disappointed to be told this and not be able to help me. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 months ago

Do you have physical proof of your return to Apple?

Has anyone at AT&T requested that return proof?

File an official dispute.  This dispute lets AT&T know that you intend to take legal action, it's limited to small claims or arbitration but if the FCC or better Business bureau complaint didn't have any results then let's hope this does.

https://www.att.com/help/notice-of-dispute/

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 months ago

File a formal dispute

https://www.att.com/help/notice-of-dispute/

This lets AT&T know that you are prepared to take legal action, it is limited to small claims or arbitration, but in this case you have documentation proving your side. AT&T would be id10tic to let it go that far.  

I don't know if this happens with T-Mobile or Verizon, but it's stories like this, AT&T's unwillingness to accept documentation for this and so many other things that drove me back to Verizon. 😵

Tutor

• 

32 Messages

7 months ago

@formerlyknownas 

Thank you. I have proof of sale, return, tracking, emails, even a document Apple sent to me and ATT showing they have refunded the phone to ATT and the financing has been cancelled. I believe this is fraud. 

I’ve opened a new BBB case for now. I know from two of the ATT reps I spoke to that it’s a simple button to override it, but can only be pressed by certain levels and the reps who amswer phones don’t have that ability. Of course they don’t. 

I will take this as far as I have to. I was really expecting a simple reversal but apparently customers mean ZERO to ATT. I can’t wait to pay our devices off and put them in my rear view mirror. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 months ago

You might want to include Apple in your complaint.   If they have notified AT&T correctly that they have received the phone and canceled the installment agreement, AT&T would have that record. 

It seems to me the logical conclusion is Apple has not notified AT&T that the installment agreement is canceled and phone returned.

Tutor

• 

32 Messages

7 months ago

Yes, I did. Apple has sent documentation a few times now but ATT says the “button to override it is grayed out.” Lol. 

Tutor

• 

32 Messages

7 months ago

@formerlyknownas 

ATT got Apple on a conference call with me a few times. ATT insisted that I haven’t returned it & the Apple supervisor got angry and said “yes she did!” ATT said we don’t have proof of that & she said I’M TELLING YOU SHE DID! She told the ATT rep that Apple cancelled the financing and the return is complete. She sent me and ATT a receipt stating such. This is amazingly bad business practices. If ATT cannot handle their customers ordering/returning upgrades through Apple then they need to stop allowing it. I want to pay off the 14PM amt due which is half what this upgrade phone was. They have my phone correct but the amount due is for the upgrade. Last call with ATT I was told it’s MY responsibility to correct this. I’m confident I could figure it out in minutes. They’ve lost 2 longtime customers no matter how long they drag this out. It’s really stupid. I will also be filing with WI Consumer Affairs. 

(edited)

Tutor

• 

32 Messages

7 months ago

@formerlyknownas 

Thank you for that link. It will be my next step. The Office of the President called late Friday so I’ll see what she has to say. But I’m not explaining it all from the start again. Sick of ppl testing me to see if my story changes. I’m disabled with a serious, chronic illness & don’t have the time or energy for this. Again thank you for your help. 😊

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

7 months ago

I still find this amazing, not in a good way. My experience when I first joined AT&T back in early 2014 was customer service was spot on. Always got someone who is friendly and helpful and capable of fixing problems. Now it's a shot in the dark that you will get someone who knows which end is up.

And I wish I could say it was just AT&T because I've had conversations within the past 2 weeks with Verizon CS where I lost my temper because The person I was speaking with had absolutely no idea what they were talking about.

It's frightening as a customer to speak with someone who works for the business and they know less than you do.  Especially when they say they've been working for Verizon or at&t for many years

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.