Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
Flaneur's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, August 17th, 2014 7:00 PM

How can I get early unlock (one month left on contract) for trip to Canada?

The two-year contract for my iPhone 5 expires on October 19. However, I need to spend the period September 15-October 15 in Vancouver BC, where I would like to be able to use a prepaid Canadian SIM card for cellular data access.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to persuade AT&T to unlock the phone a month before my contract expires?

A customer service rep here in Portland told me that, even if I were willing to pay an early termination fee (which, I think would be $95), I still wouldn't be able to get an early unlock.

The AT&T website seems to say that I am eligible for an unlock if I pay the termination fee ("You've staisfied all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment associated with the device to be unlocked, in one of the following ways: ...Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee.")

Any ideas about how to proceed?

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

You should be able to tell rep you need it for your trip, she or he might argue a bit.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Att rep gave me unlock codes over the phone and instructions walked me through them for a couple different phones but that was over 6 yrs ago i heard they changed the process

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

10 years ago

@Flaneur wrote:

The two-year contract for my iPhone 5 expires on October 19. However, I need to spend the period September 15-October 15 in Vancouver BC, where I would like to be able to use a prepaid Canadian SIM card for cellular data access.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to persuade AT&T to unlock the phone a month before my contract expires?

A customer service rep here in Portland told me that, even if I were willing to pay an early termination fee (which, I think would be $95), I still wouldn't be able to get an early unlock.

The AT&T website seems to say that I am eligible for an unlock if I pay the termination fee ("You've staisfied all contract obligations, including any Service Commitment associated with the device to be unlocked, in one of the following ways: ...Payment of any applicable Early Termination Fee.")

Any ideas about how to proceed?

I would recommend you send a private message to AT&T Customer Care using the link below.

https://forums.att.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/192773

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

The phone rep, who was very amiable, sent a message to the unlock division explaining that I was in the 23rd month of a 24-month contract and that I needed an unlock so that I could use a Canadian SIM card during my upcoming month in Vancouver BC. I got a message from the unlock people an hour later telling me they had refused the request.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

The phone rep, who was very amiable, sent a message to the unlock division explaining that I was in the 23rd month of a 24-month contract and that I needed an unlock so that I could use a Canadian SIM card during my upcoming month in Vancouver BC. I got a message from the unlock people an hour later telling me they had refused the request.

I got no reply after sending a message to the AT&T customer service address that another poster suggested I use.

Having given up on AT&T, I went to Craigslist and bought an unlocked Nexus 7 (cellular) tablet which I'll use with a Canadian SIM card for data access while I'm in Vancouver. To pay for this, I'll sell my old Nexus 7 (wifi-only) tablet, but that will only recoup half the cost of the unlocked cellular tablet.

I think AT&T's unlock policy and its inflexible administration of the policy are despicable. When I return from Canada, my AT&T contract will have expired. I will find a new carrier, hopefully one that is less blatant in its contempt for its customers.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.