Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Mlbissell1's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tue, Sep 16, 2014 9:04 AM

How can an exorbitant amount of data usage be posted to my account?

Since getting my first Smartphone through AT&T in September-2013, the most data I've ever used to date was 1,998KBs. My billing cycle is from the 14th-13th. I received a text message on 9/10 @ 5:13pm "More than 75% of the 2GB of shared data has been used. We'll add 1GB of data at $ 15.00 when you get to100%. " A second text came in at the same time, 5:13pm saying"100% of the 2GB of shared data has been used. We've added 1GB of data to be used by 09/13/14." I received the same text messages at 5:17pm and 5:24pm. I was out of town in a no cell service zone that day and got back home on the 12th. I turned my phone on about 11:15am then I received 4 more text messages at 11:31am (said the first text from 9/10 but referred to 9/12) then at 11:40am I received next text (said the second text from 9/0 but referred to 9/12) and so on at 11:43am & 11:52am. I called AT&T technical support because I thought this might have something to do with my phone switching on and off to 4Glte occasionally when I was at home using my phone to check my Facebook page this month. My WiFi is through AT&T U-VERSE. Whether that had anything to do with it or not, I wasn't sure. But I certainly wasn't using my phone to check Facebook or emails, etc. While away from my WiFi. Nor do I stream anything from this smartphone (Galaxy S5 I purchased the end of May). I have my old Smartphone hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable, to watch Netflix. That's the only thing I use that phone for, it doesn't have cell service. The tech sent me a text with a link for me to go to and download a program so he could access my phone and look at it. We noticed that Chrome had used 4.98GB in the background. Then he said there might be a problem with my router not recognizing my phone, and I needed to reset it. That's why my phone was going back and forth between the 4Glte when I was within parameters of the router. But I explained that I've never used more than 1,998KBs of data since I first started service with AT&T, and even if my phone wasn't utilizing AT&Ts router my phone would connect to this open WiFi connection that someone around my neighborhood doesn't have secured. Plus, I don't utilize anything requiring data usage while I'm away from the WiFi, and I shouldn't be responsible for this exorbitant amount of data usage overage because there's no way I could or would've used that magnitude of data! He said he needed to transfer me to a different agent who could credit my account. I asked that before transferring me, would he please explain my situation so I don't have to do it all over again. He agreed. When he and the other c/s person came back on the line, he said he explained everything and was transferring me to so and so, then left the conversation. Immediately, this girl started with, well your in luck, your still in this month's billing cycle and all we have to do is change your plan to the 10GB plan so you'll save $25 and only pay an additional $50 for the overages! I said No, I'm not paying for any additional data, I didn't use additional data, I had the technician explain everything before I was transferred so I wouldn't have to repeat everything again. This data overage has something to do with an equipment failure. That's why a credit needs to be provided. Well, she just refused to acknowledge this and continued to talk over me! I finally told her to get a supervisor on the phone. She finally listened then put me on hold. Then disconnected me. Ugh! I call back, got a c/s person after 10 min on hold, said i was just on a call with a c/s person who was transferring me to a supervisor and we were disconnected. Please transfer me to a supervisor? He put me on hold, 5 min. Later comes back on the line and says the supervisor can't come to the phone right now and asked me to get your contact information so she can call you back within the next 30 minutes. Sure. Well, no one called me back. The next day I get a survey text from AT&T. Gave a horrible rating, and it asked me to provide more details regarding my experience. So I did. I received a call this morning from the survey department, but I missed it. Supposed to call me back tomorrow. In the meantime, if anyone can help me figure out how and why so much data was used and charged to my account somehow, I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Responses

ms_unicorn

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

7 y ago

Hello, Mlbissell1!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about this unusual data usage. We would be happy to investigate further, so please click here to send us a private message with your contact information, the best time to reach you, and a brief summary of the issue.

You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen. In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Get started...

Ask a new question