jhazlewood's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sat, Sep 24, 2016 10:41 PM

How AT&T lost my business

Starting in 2013, AT&T implemented a $0.63 "Administrative Fee" onto to every wireless customers bill with the  need to "cover the costs of so-so to better serve you". Well, I found out after talking to customer service that the fee was not on the "service side" of my bill, but on the administrative side, where the service taxes and surcharges are assessed.

Over the next few years I would finance a phones through the AT&T Next service, on top of the exist $67 in monthly service costs. This year I started a new job and am having to commute to work, so I am streaming more music and content, but I kept going over my 2Gb cap. So I just switched to the radio. I thought that it would be cool if I could get unlimited data, so I started looking into what AT&T offered...and I found that I would have to bundle DirecTV or other services to qualify. 

I would have to bundle other services to qualify, and it cost $60 on top your existing service.

To add insult to injury, the AT&T "Thanks" program is not based off of how long you have been an AT&T customer, but on how many bundled services you have

All together these things make it very clear to me that I am not viewed as a person, let alone a "customer"; but simply as a revenue stream from which as much money can be fleeced as possible. 

Why would I choose AT&T Internet when the fastest service available is 20|5 Mbps when for the same price I have 300|20 Mbps. 

Why would get DirecTV when I have 300 Mbps internet.

Why would I keep AT&T wireless when I can pay $75 per month for unlimited everything (even if there is a throttle at 20 GB per mo usage)

I talked to the retention department and was asked what could they do to keep my business. When I asked them how long I had been a customer, they said "Since 2013, thank you for staying with us". I then asked to have unlimited data, and the rep dutifully informed me that it was an additional $60 and I need to bundled and so forth. 

I have been with AT&T (Cingular) since April of 2003. And that Administration fee is now at $0.71

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

6年前

@jhazlewood wrote:

This year I started a new job and am having to commute to work, so I am streaming more music and content, but I kept going over my 2Gb cap. So I just switched to the radio. I thought that it would be cool if I could get unlimited data, so I started looking into what AT&T offered...and I found that I would have to bundle DirecTV or other services to qualify. 

You're a little (a lot) all over the place so I'll pick start with one topic to focus on:

Jumping from 2GB to Unlimited: (a little extreme)

You're going over your data plan of 2GB (about $60/$65 for 1 line?), which is pretty small in their range of data plans (1.5 on a scale of 1 to 12 of measured data plans) so you wanted to go to their unlimited plan and the price (and hoops) are too high to pay(?).  Of course it is, it's unlimited!   (FYI, 100GB is $450 a month and this is unlimited!)

Did you consider just tripling your data by going to the current 6GB plan (about $80 for 1 line)? This is cheaper than the unlimited (even without DirectTV) and probably more accurately reflects your use.

Keep in mind, AT&T didn't try to talk you into the unlimited plan, you "thought it would be cool".  If it was any call like I had, they would have pointed out your previous use. No matter if I have 10 lines or 1 line, if I want to sign up for unlimited AT&T has required DirectTV, they aren't singling you out.  They are clearly marketing this as a bundled feature.

I think you're being a little illogical in that you're trying to go to from 2GB to unlimited and think the cost is too high.

This isn't the Mom & Pop store down the street, they are here to make money (and so is Mom & Pop).

Unlimited data is wasteful and people can use it for unlimited things (but not hotspot/tethering) and clearly will cost AT&T a lot more. But once you're hooked, they know you'll keep DirectTV so that makes it worth it to them. (I tell people who don't want DirectTV to think of it as a $70 surcharge to get the unlimited data). 

You also make it sound as if the no interest financing is a burden.

The only cost of free financing is keep the line you financed it on open.

AT&T is just as happy with you if you buy $99 phones, they make just as much money on your calls. You can buy that phone from anywhere else you want with cash or finance it and pay interest.

You're the only person I've seen that is concerned about what the "Thanks" program offers and it sounds like you're trying to get to more from it, I'd never sign up for another service to get more "thanks".  I guess if the "thanks" was 20% off then I'd have to do the math, but otherwise...

8 cents over three years? And yet the 30GB data plan dropped from $230 a month to $135 a month (and now includes free Mexico roaming).  I'll gladly pay the 8 cents.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

6年前

I'm with @Gary L.  Who needs unlimited?  I don't use 22gigs a month.  I wouldn't pay $75, because I don't use $75 worth of service.  

The $60 Gophone plan offers 6 gigs of full speed data, unlimited low speed after that.

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

6年前

@lizdance40 We've got 20GB for three of us, they use 2GB a month each, I use 3GB-4GB on the phone and 7GB-12GB on the laptop/iPad (the more I tether the less I use on the phone, since I'm often just checking the same thing on a bigger screen).

We don't do wasteful stuff like download app updates and watch streaming movies (but we don't want the battery hit anyways). But pretty much we do what we want.

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6年前

Yeah, @Gary L, we're on the 20GB plan too, which I tend to mostly use through tethering and my laptop/tablet.

I've got competition though, the tough-spot I've found, is the streaming music;-]

While I'm content to listen to most of my 70's and 80's (and some newer) rock (all on my device), my daughter likes to stream the newest stuff, and there are some really nifty stations that do this.

We have some rules now, mostly which involves always using WiFi to stream, but it's tough, I can see her point, mostly, and in the world of "almost unlimited" data, it's hard to explain to a kid why. It's particularly hard, because a couple of her friends have TMo, which allows unlimted streaming, regardless of plan (more or less anyway).

I'm trying to talk myself into calling retentions, seeing about one of the new plans, and retain my Canada deal, all without a giant, multi-call project ;-]

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

6年前

Most of the streaming apps have lower quality options, which cut data use by half, and the quality is not noticeable.  

My older son pays for Spotify premium which allows him to cache music and play off line.  

I tether sometimes, which unlimited plans don't allow.  

I also don't get reprioritised or throttled. 

pgrey

ACE - Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6年前

Yeah @lizdance40, we have all her apps set to low-quality-mode, believe me ;-]

It wasn't really getting quite to our 20GB "ceiling", yet, but close.  Since we adjusted the apps, and set up a persistent WiFi connection (and discuseed losing "data privlidges", dependng), we're back to a reasonable rate.

I also have a warning/severe-warning app installed, which lets her know when she's used about 75% and 90% of "her data", so that helps too.

I tether a LOT, so Unlimited would never work for me, which is fine.  I may eventually move to a newer plan, we'll see, the Canada deal is huge for me, that was costing a lot every year, with multiple trips.

I sometimes wish AT&T would allow for individual data-buckets though, like some carriers, to help mitigate this.

ACE - Sage

• 

98.5K Messages

6年前

@pgrey

Ive seen both Verizon and AT&T family plans asking for data limits on each line.  We may see it yet.  The other option is prepaid, multi line plans like ATT/Cricket offer.  

Or a plan similar to T-mobiles plan which allows different data on each line.  

Gary L

ACE - Expert

• 

16.1K Messages

6年前

@pgrey wrote:

I sometimes wish AT&T would allow for individual data-buckets though, like some carriers, to help mitigate this.

I think if they did this, they could do a marketing campagain with it.  

"Kids use all your data, again?", get AT&T DataLimits(tm) so the kids don't use your data...

Actually, some time released data limits would be awesome too.  You tell the system that you want your kids to have 3GB and the system only releases 100MB a day to them....

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.