For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
K

• 

1 Message

Thursday, February 20th, 2020 10:03 PM

Help closing 94 year old mother's wireless account

Mom will be 95 in May and has had a wireless account in her name with AT&T for years. Payment for her account is linked to her debit card, we think. The bank does not show it as a recurring withdrawal; however, every month you get paid. She is now in a nursing home with advanced dementia. Her cell phone hasn't even been charged for 2-3 years. Please tell us how we can close this account?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

4 years ago

The only ways to close a postpaid account is for the account owner to call or port the number to a different carrier. If you have access to the account information and can call and provide the necessary information to convince them you are the account owner, you can close the account. If you tell them you aren’t the account owner, then you’ll need to prove power of attorney. However, since you say the recurring withdrawals don’t occur every month, it sounds like the account may be prepaid. To cancel prepaid, just stop paying. Just cancel the debit card.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

I second this.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Former AT&T,  Current Verizon customer.  My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove. 

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

4 years ago

Even if it's postpaid, cancelling the debit card might be the easiest route. It will probably be easier for you to get a replacement debit card from the bank (if she needs it) than it will be to work with AT&T (sad, but true). Sure, it might leave an unpaid balance, but does she really care if it goes to collections?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.