Need help understanding your bill?
SB01132015's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, January 13th, 2015 8:39 PM

Closed

GoPhone Refund-Severe circumstances not considered?

I have been a Go Phone customer continuously for over 7 years. Yet today, I called customer support to request a refund of the credit that is currently on my account. The reason for this is that I was kidnapped, robbed and physically attacked. One of the items (besides money) that was robbed was my cell phone. I am out of the country for an extended period and will not be able to order a replacement phone in the near future (for many reasons). Further, I do not even want that number given that the criminals know it and could harass me.

I was told that I could not receive a refund. I will not be able to use the money on the account since I will not be able to use the account at all. As a long-time customer, I believe that it would be an act of bad faith if AT&T will not see fit to take this case seriously and at least be willing to prevent additional trauma by denying a simple gesture of good faith to a loyal customer. Given the extreme circumstance, AT&T should simply refund the money (check sent to my home or something). They cannot put it back on the card in the system, because that too was stolen and has been cancelled. I would not want to continue my relationship with AT&T if they cannot even respect this one legitimate request. Thank you.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

9 years ago

I am very sorry that these horrible things happened to you.

You could have kept your account credit just by buying a new phone on your existing account and requesting a phone number change. Obviously, it's unfair for you to have to pay for a new phone - but this has nothing to do with AT&T. I'm not clear what your decision to leave the country has to do with AT&T, or with the crimes for that matter.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I never suggested that the crime had anything to do with AT&T. I simply believe that AT&T can refund the unused credit given the circumstances since I would not be able to receive a new phone even if I wanted it (being outside of the country for a very long time). I am talking about acts of good faith for long-term customers. My reason for putting this on the forum is that I could not find an e-mail system or chat system to send a message directly to customer service, just this forum was provided (online chat not available to GoPhone customers). If AT&T chooses not to, so be it. I will at least know to stay away from this type of company.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

9 years ago

Once again, I am sorry for all that you had to go through. But since you have acknowledged that that is not related, all that we're left with is that you bought something nonrefundable, and now you want a refund.

Why did you buy GoPhone credit if you were planning to leave the country?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Regarding your question, if you must know, I was able to use the phone and buy credit online. I had the phone before coming to the country also. The problem is receiving a new physical phone here. I asked a question on this forum as allowed to me as an AT&T customer. If AT&T does not want to provide a refund as a gesture of good faith, fine. I simply will not get another contract with the company knowing the rigidness of how they deal with their customers. I have dealt with companies with no-refund policies, yet they decide to do so to help their customers in special situations. As a business person, I too have done this for my clients. I can ask a question and even give my opinion about policies. I have done so with decorum.

You really seem to be antagonistic and I´m not interested in that at all. I also do not need disingenuous sympathy. I´ll be fine. I simply wanted an AT&T supervisor or decision maker to answer my request. If you are that, I have my answer although it could have been a simple no without callousness. If you are not, we have nothing further to discuss with each other.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I was able to find an AT&T e-mail address online. I sent a copy of this forum discussion thread. The representative that answered apologized for the nature of the responses and gave me an online customer service chat link. This representative of the chat discussion called me (using a US-based online number) and connected me with the appropriate personnel. They can in fact give refunds if purchased credit is not partially used. Unfortunately, my credit was partially used before the robbery; therefore I asked if the credit can at least be transferred to another customer I know. It can only be transferred with the entire account when someone purchases a phone. They offered to extend the expiration date of the credit until the end of this year. When someone I know purchases a phone, I can give them my account. This is fine with me. At least someone I know will get use of the account instead of it going to the wayside. The key person was the representative of the online chat who knew where to properly direct me. They were not rude or judgmental. This is a positive.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

[I´m not sure if I replied correctly (still getting the hang of this forum´s functions)—Please forgive any redundancies.]

1) Regarding your question, if you must know, I was able to use the phone and buy credit online. I had the phone before coming to the country also. The problem is receiving a new physical phone here. I asked a question on this forum as allowed to me as an AT&T customer. If AT&T does not want to provide a refund as a gesture of good faith, fine. I simply will not get another contract with the company knowing the rigidness of how they deal with their customers. I have dealt with companies with no-refund policies, yet they decide to do so to help their customers in special situations. As a business person, I too have done this for my clients. I can ask a question and even give my opinion about policies. I have done so with decorum.
You really seem to be antagonistic and I´m not interested in that at all. I also do not need disingenuous sympathy. I´ll be fine. I simply wanted an AT&T supervisor or decision maker to answer my request. If you are that, I have my answer although it could have been a simple no without callousness. If you are not, we have nothing further to discuss with each other.

2) I was able to find an AT&T e-mail address online. I sent a copy of this forum discussion thread. The representative that answered apologized for the nature of the responses and gave me an online customer service chat link. This representative of the chat discussion called me (using a US-based online number) and connected me with the appropriate personnel. They can in fact give refunds if purchased credit is not partially used. Unfortunately, my credit was partially used before the robbery; therefore I asked if the credit can at least be transferred to another customer I know. It can only be transferred with the entire account when someone purchases a phone. They offered to extend the expiration date of the credit until the end of this year. When someone I know purchases a phone, I can give them my account. This is fine with me. At least someone I know will get use of the account instead of it going by the wayside. The key person was the representative of the online chat who knew where to properly direct me. They were not rude or judgmental. This is a positive.

Scholar

• 

98 Messages

9 years ago

My concerns about the crime were sincere, and I have no idea why you think they weren't.

How could you possibly accuse me of insincerity when you are the one who brought up a completely unrelated event to try to play the sympathy card because you don't want the rules to apply to you?

You could have gone to an AT&T store and bought a new GoPhone in less time than it took for you to write these false accusations against me.

You have still not answered the real question, which is why you bought GoPhone credits when you were planning to leave the country.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

I don´t play sympathy cards, this is not a game. I stated “I also do not need disingenuous sympathy.” I am stating what I do not need, no accusation exists there. Let´s be real here, I don´t even know you. We are basically words on a screen with user ID´s, that´s reality. What I was asking AT&T (not you) was just basic human consideration of circumstances (not sympathy, although not wrong to even want that). Further, I did answer your question, although you are no one I have to answer to. Again, I was able to use the credits in another country and buy credits on line. That´s why I bought credit, it´s obvious (to use the phone). Also, I (or anyone) can ask AT&T to consider extenuating circumstances if I/we so choose and they did in my case. If they chose not to consider those (assuming I spoke to the right people) I would clearly have respected it even if I did not agree with it. If I were directed to the appropriate representatives in the first place, I would never have come to the forum trying to get the sought after information. AT&T representatives can take into consideration what they want as long as they are allowed to.

Your comment about buying a new phone makes no sense given my clear comments. There is no AT&T store in the country I am currently in, so your comment is invalid and frankly your response sounds callous and not helpful to anyone. AT&T respected the circumstances and offered what they could. I am satisfied with that. At least anyone on the forum can see that AT&T did offer a reasonable solution and also that PREPAID CREDIT CAN IN FACT BE REFUNDED if unused, what can be done if partially used, and that credit expiration dates can be extended to give time to act on the provided options. You can go on with others or the air if you´d like, I´m done with this discussion. Goodbye.

Former Moderator

• 

7.6K Messages

9 years ago

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this subject. The topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.