Uniquely for you. Preorder the new Google Pixel 6.
michicago's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thu, Jan 25, 2018 4:33 AM

Fraudulent iPhone X Order

Somehow an iPhone X I never ordered ordered was placed against my account yesterday. So far AT&T has been their usual, useless selves... failing to follow-thru on their commitment to cancel the order after I informed them it was fraud, and then putting me on hold for more than 30 minutes with their fraud department.

I have better things to do than list to 30+ minutes of DirecTV Now ads, so I hung up... if they can't answer a fraud call in less than 30 minutes, I don't see any reason to stay on the phone during what little evening free time I have.

Anyway, just reaching out to see if this happened to anyone else recently or if it was isolated.

Here's hoping nobody else has to deal with AT&T's "customer service" for something that is an inconvenience to begin with...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

Hi. This just happened to me also. A check of my wireless usage showed 2 new 401 numbers on my account. I don't live in RI. Someone purchased 2 iphone 10s from Best Buy and charged to my AT&T account five days ago. I had a 30+ minute wait for the Global Fraud dept who blacklisted the 2 phones and changed my security info. I am not responsible for the charges. However AT&T did not provide any further info about the fraudulent transaction. I was lucky that I just happened to check my usage.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 y ago

I'm afraid this also happened to me on 25 January, also at Best Buy, with the numbers with an area code 860 - two new numbers, 2 new I-Phones.  I live in 203. My local Best Buy couldn't help because the purchase was not at their store (they were concerned and tried to help). The local AT&T store - where I originally set up my account - was useless (gave me an 800 number with long waits, and  offers for Direct TV). I spent eventually a half hour on hold with the Global Fraud number but was disconnected, but will try again today.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

89.3K Messages

4 y ago

Send a message with your information to @ATTDmitriyCM.  He will have someone contact you about the fraud.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

Two iphoneX's were ordered from ATT as upgrades and without any investigation ATT sent those 2 iphones to the criminals at addresses not associated with the account. Then ATT cut off my iPhone4 so for 2 days I haven't received any calls. Spent 4 hours on someone else's phone dealing with the service at ATT this morning. Was disconnected twice and transferred twice and no one could help me turn off the stolen X and return service to my iphone4. Even after my sister reported this to their fraud department they have kept service going to the stolen X. I hate ATT and recommend getting out if you have them.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

3 y ago

ATT is allowing criminals to order iPhone X's on other people's accounts because it boosts sales and their bottom line. No response from ATT regarding how they are letting this happen. Customer service is not prepared or trained to handle these calls. I spent hours on a friend's phone with at least 4 different operators who could not understand my situation, put me on hold, asked me to receive a text code on my phone which is not working. Really? Finally one operator understood and was able to cancel service to the stolen phone. Even though the fraud department had been notified 48 before. Really? Now I'm waiting 4-6 more hours for my Simm card in my iphone4 to be reactivated. I hope no one needs me immediately. I hope I don't need to call for an ambulance.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

10.3K Messages

3 y ago

@outraged88 wrote:

ATT is allowing criminals to order iPhone X's on other people's accounts because it boosts sales and their bottom line.

The sales are canceled, so it doesn't boost sales. They lose the device and don't get paid for it, so it negatively affects the "bottom line."

No response from ATT regarding how they are letting this happen. Customer service is not prepared or trained to handle these calls.

That's true. First, these situations are still rare, so it's not worth the investment it would take to train all reps to handle these calls. Second, these situations require special handling to minimize losses. 

I spent hours on a friend's phone with at least 4 different operators who could not understand my situation, put me on hold, asked me to receive a text code on my phone which is not working. Really? Finally one operator understood and was able to cancel service to the stolen phone. Even though the fraud department had been notified 48 before. Really? Now I'm waiting 4-6 more hours for my Simm card in my iphone4 to be reactivated. I hope no one needs me immediately. I hope I don't need to call for an ambulance.

Even without service, your phone should still dial 911

Need help?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.