Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Help for account, billing & more
sanibelfan's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tue, Jun 17, 2014 7:18 PM

dropping a line and contract/service on other phone

I have two phone lines and one is out of contract. I want to cancel the second phone line (my son's) and retain the main line. Will i have to do a new contract for the main line? I only have another 10 months on the main phone line on a two year agreement and dont want to sign up for another two year contract. My son is signing up for another service provider and we wont be using the "transfer a line" option.

thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

7 y ago

No.Each line has its own separate contract and doing something with one has no effect on the other. Depending on which plan you are on, you will have to choose a different plan as you are now on a single plan and not a group plan.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

@sanibelfan wrote:

ok so plans and contracts are different entities? I can change my plan but not affect the contract?

THANKS!

Yes, contracts and service plans are different.  If you are currently on a family plan, you can switch to a different service level (number of shared minutes).  You can also switch to a Mobile Share plan, but keep in mond that if you leave your Family Plan (or individual plan) for a Mobile Share plan, you can't go back, because those plans are no longer offered.  You can keep it if you already have it, but you can't switch to it if you don't already have it.

For a single user, your current Individual or Family Plan account is probably a little less expensive than a newer Mobile Share plans.  It's when you start getting 2 or more phones that the newer shared plans can start to save you money...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

ok so plans and contracts are different entities? I can change my plan but not affect the contract?

THANKS!

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

@sanibelfan wrote:

I have two phone lines and one is out of contract. I want to cancel the second phone line (my son's) and retain the main line. Will i have to do a new contract for the main line? I only have another 10 months on the main phone line on a two year agreement and dont want to sign up for another two year contract. My son is signing up for another service provider and we wont be using the "transfer a line" option.

thanks!

If it is the out of contract line you are cancelling, then you can just cancel the service, and nothing else has to change.

The problem will come if you want to cancel teh line that is still under contract.  You can still do that without signing a new contract on your other phone, but it will require you to pay an ETF on the contract phone.  Dependig upon how long you have left on your contract, you may be cheaper to switch to a non-smartphone and reduce teh service to the bare minimum, so it will only cost you $10/month and just keep the line active until the contract is over, then cancel it.  I have done this latter part in the past, just because paying the ETF on a smartphone can get pricey ($350-$10/month for every full month already completed in the contract, IIRC).  Sometimes it's cheaper just to keep a minimal line around until the contract is over, then cancel it.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.