Announcements
Learn how you can Preorder the iPhone 13 now!
smurteira's profile

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

Tue, Mar 22, 2016 1:45 AM

Double your data

ATT just changed my plan without my permission.  Can they do that?  I had signed up for the double your data plan back in 2014, where I got 30GB for the price of 15GB.  According to the promotion I could keep that deal for as long as I wanted and it did not expire.  Now they started charging me for the full 30GB, are telling me it was a mistake on their part but since the plan is no longer available they are not able to put me back into my plan.  What gives?  Is this your way of upseting your customers?

Responses

GeekBoy

Master

 • 

4.1K Messages

5 y ago


@smurteira wrote:

ATT just changed my plan without my permission.  Can they do that?  I had signed up for the double your data plan back in 2014, where I got 30GB for the price of 15GB.  According to the promotion I could keep that deal for as long as I wanted and it did not expire.  Now they started charging me for the full 30GB, are telling me it was a mistake on their part but since the plan is no longer available they are not able to put me back into my plan.  What gives?  Is this your way of upseting your customers?


Your post concerns me, as I was also on the 15GB data that was doubled to 30GB, and I got an email over the weekend that they were giving me a "bonus 5GB" of data.  I wonder if this is what happened to you too, except in the process they switched your base plan before adding the "bonus".  After reading your post, I went into the myATT app and checked the details on my plan, and it still shows me with the 30GB of data for $130/month, as well as the bonus 5GB.

 

If this i swhat has happened to you, I suggest that you try contacting @ATTMobilityCare to see if they can help you out.  Send them a private message giving them the details of your name and account number, as well as your description of the problem.  The people who watch that account and reply are more thn the normal "phone support" team, and can usually solve a problem, or speak to someone else who can if they can't do it themselves.  If AT&T switched your account by mistake, then they can get this resolved for you.  If you send them a private message, they should get back to you within 2-3 days, and often much quicker.

 

I would like to hear back from you what your final outcome is, and what they did to resolve this for you.  As of right now, my account doesn't seem to be showing the same problem, but I am conerned that it might appear on my next bill since my new billing cycle just started today...

raphaelulz

Former Employee

 • 

258 Messages

5 y ago

If it was done without your authorization, it can be verified by a rep in just a few minutes of quick investigation! All the rep has to do is cross reference the date your plan was changed to any existing account notes that may have been made on that date. If there is nothing in the account notes that indicates you authorized it (including a lack of notes), you're definitely in the right to have it added back. I've done this before for a customer who has a Family Talk plan; the system inexplicably changed her to a pay-per-use plan and there were absolutely no notes in the account on the day it was changed that give a reason as to why it was changed. Because it was a grandfathered plan, all I had to do was file a case and send it to the backend team that handles provisioning grandfathered plans and explain in the notes that I researched the account and confirmed it was not authorized by the customer. In just a few days, their original plan was restored!

Busternutt

Professor

 • 

3.2K Messages

5 y ago

I have to agree with @GeekBoy. I had a denial of an unlock last week for an incorrect reason. I sent a message to @ATTMobilityCare and Rachel A followed up with two private messages and in the end, the problem was resolved. Mobility Care is not the usual customer service.

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

5 y ago

These problems began when I joined my att bill with my directv bill.  I started getting overcharged over the last 3 bills.   I did reach out to someone on twitter ATTCares, and that person told me something had happened to my account and I was put on a regular 30GB plan and there was no way to put me back on the double your data plan and I was basically gonna have to suck it up.  I called ATT and two other reps told me I was out of luck as well.  One rep told me a case had been submitted and was denied.  I told them I was going to file complaints and then they told me the case had actually never been submitted and she was going to submit it now.  I then remembered to go into my account to see what my account says and it says I'm on the right plan.  This is getting pretty confusing and I'm going to have to wait for the next bill to see if they again are overcharging my account and have to spend yet another two hours with them on the phone to try to fix this again.  I also filled a BBB and FTC complaint which is now being looked into.  All I want is for them to put me back on the plan I signed up for at the rate I had because I never requested any changes on my account or plan. 

GeekBoy

Master

 • 

4.1K Messages

5 y ago


@smurteira wrote:

These problems began when I joined my att bill with my directv bill.  I started getting overcharged over the last 3 bills. ... 


I believe that explains your issue.  If you read the details on the "free double data" promotion, you were able to keep the free data until you changed your plan.  When you bundled it with your TV service, that was a change to your plan, and is likely what caused you to lose the promotion.  An AT&T staff member should be able to confirm that, but I believe that you will find this to be the case.  Worse is that you did bundle the two accounts billing together, which did change the accounts, so it is likely that you will not get the old promotional rate back.

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

5 y ago

I know that ATT likes to do those things, therefore I made it a point to ask them rep when I called in if joining my bills would have any effect on my current plan and if by combining the bills I would keep my current plan and she told me it would definitely not affect my plan because all I was doing was combining the bills.  She assured me my plan would not change.  We will see what comes out of this.

Tutor

 • 

4 Messages

5 y ago

After a case was open with BBB, a case manager was assigned to my issue and I was put back on my plan.  

Former Employee

 • 

51 Messages

5 y ago

So if for whatever reason your plan was changed from a double the data plan you can have a case filed to change it back with in 90 days. This is the policy. Beings that you have the DTV honestly as long as you have 3 phones the unlimited data maybe cheaper for you. You can view any changes to your account via the myatt.com and also you should recieve a customer service summary you can view when any changes are made. Uniting the bill adds a 10.00$ discount off your combined bill it take 60 days for the bill to unify you would continue to pay both bills separately until you recieve your first unified bill

Contributor

 • 

1 Message

2 y ago

Yes, just discovered ATT ripoff scheme! Called support, they were not at all intelligent.  They act as if it is okay to arbitrarily change a customers Data GB increasing my 15GB, I used ❤️ GB a month, to a 30GB, increasing my bill by $26.71 per month.

 

When I called I got the same lies about being notified, and also that it was perfectly okay for ATT to change my data plan without my permission, bull, lies, theft, fraud

 

So, I lowered my data plan to 9GB.  Instead of ATT getting additional $27/month, they lose >$70 per month. 

 

Ha, Ha, Ha

 

As soon as my Samsung phones are paid off, I will be changing my provided to other than ATT!

 

I have been an ATT customer also since PacBell, Bell South Mobility.  I have weathered the changes and because I was a customer for nearly 20 years, I was allowed to keep my old plan, as grandfathered in.

 

Seems the young folks working in ATT support cannot get a real job, and care not about my telling them I will go to another provider, ASAP!  Even ATT supervisor and management are clueless!

 

Change your plan to 9GB if you as I do only use ❤️ GB a month, take money from the fools!

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

 • 

52.5K Messages

2 y ago

@mamyricktx You posted on a 3 year old thread. What happened to you is totally unrelated to what happened to the OP. The grandfathered plan you were on got a price increase. Everyone on that plan got a price increase. To justify the increase, they also doubled your data. Maybe you would have been happier if they just raised the price but didn’t double your data? You should have gotten an email notifying you of the increase. If not, there was a notice on your bill. Go back and look, I’m sure it’s there on at least one, if not two bills. The wireless agreement that you agreed to does allow ATT to change your plan anytime they want. No lies, theft or fraud. 

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

 • 

10.2K Messages

2 y ago

@mamyricktx, any new provider you find can change your plans and pricing, too. 

 

Besides, instead of being upset with AT&T, you should be upset with yourself for not checking to see if there was a plan that would fit your needs for a lower price! You could have been saving money for a long time!

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

 • 

88.2K Messages

2 y ago


@mamyricktx wrote:

Yes, just discovered ATT ripoff scheme! Called support, they were not at all intelligent.  They act as if it is okay to arbitrarily change a customers Data GB increasing my 15GB, I used ❤️ GB a month, to a 30GB, increasing my bill by $26.71 per month.

 

When I called I got the same lies about being notified, and also that it was perfectly okay for ATT to change my data plan without my permission, bull, lies, theft, fraud

 

So, I lowered my data plan to 9GB.  Instead of ATT getting additional $27/month, they lose >$70 per month. 

 

Ha, Ha, Ha

 

As soon as my Samsung phones are paid off, I will be changing my provided to other than ATT!

 

I have been an ATT customer also since PacBell, Bell South Mobility.  I have weathered the changes and because I was a customer for nearly 20 years, I was allowed to keep my old plan, as grandfathered in.

 

Seems the young folks working in ATT support cannot get a real job, and care not about my telling them I will go to another provider, ASAP!  Even ATT supervisor and management are clueless!

 

Change your plan to 9GB if you as I do only use ❤️ GB a month, take money from the fools!


Why didn’t you change ages ago?   Since the Value plan, At&t has had the Advantage plan, Flex plan and now plus plan.  All offered lower priced data packages for someone using under 3 gigs a month.    You’ve been over paying At&t for over 2 years.  

It’s not a rip off for those who have need of the data rather than pay overage charges.  My sister and I are both looking forward to the extra data.

 

 

New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.