Need help understanding your bill?
Lars999's profile

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, December 10th, 2022 6:28 PM

Data throttling back?

I plugged in my iPhone 13 to my i mac to back it up and save my photos. The phone went in to mobil hotspot mode and in 14 min (while connected by wire!) to my computer used up my 3GB unlimited data (then it isn't unlimited?).

AT&T texts immediately arrived alerting me to the "opportunity" to purchase more data.

Any ideas what happened?

I did not download any data!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

It sounds like your Mac started using your phone’s hotspot data. Hotspot data is not unlimited. You must have the unlimited starter plan, it only provides 3GB of hotspot data. That’s not throttling, you used up all of the hotspot data.

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks, I assumed hotspot data was wireless data from the web out to my shared device. Curious if I send a photo to my computer while plugged why would it use the wireless connection? Apple thing?

Also curious if you know is it high speed data that is limited or all data through the hotspot?

Thanks again.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

1 year ago

Curious if I send a photo to my computer while plugged why would it use the wireless connection? Apple thing?

I’m pretty sure when I connect my iPhone to my windows PC, the PC starts using the hotspot data also, so not necessarily an Apple thing. The simple way to prevent that is put the phone in airplane mode while it’s connected to the Mac.

Also curious if you know is it high speed data that is limited or all data through the hotspot?

Not sure I understand the question. Once all of the hotspot data is used up, all hotspot data stops. The phone still has unlimited data for its own use, it is not limited due to using up the hotspot data.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

1 year ago

From my experience, either your computer or your phone should be notifying you that it is using your wireless data rather than staying connected and using your Wi-Fi or home internet service.

But, There is no need to transfer data from your phone to your computer with anything other than the physical cable if that's what you choose

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Thanks Sandblaster,

Copy on the airplane mode tip.

Think I'll test my hot spot next and see what happens if there is no data.

Thanks formerlyknowas,

AT&T texted me right away as I was saving images.

I take a lot of pictures and usually the cable is faster and more stable.

Thanks for the tips

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.