Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Fri, Feb 16, 2018 2:17 PM

Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) Restriction Request

I received a notice about CPNI. I am attempting to restrict my CPNI and the web link does not work, the 800 number does not work and the worthless customer service people do not know how to do it. You are required by law to provide a "working" method to complete this request.

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

I received a notice about CPNI. I am attempting to restrict my CPNI and the web link does not work, the 800 number does not work and the worthless customer service people do not know how to do it. You are required by law to provide a "working" method to complete this request.

This is the correct link: https://www.att.com/ecpnioptout/InitiateCPNIForm.action

What issues are you having when you try?

Personally, I don't think it's worth the effort to restrict CPNI; it's not going to change your life much at all.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

The web link you posted is correct but it does not work.

Error: ECPNI0106: The account entered is not eligible for ECPNI. For more details Please call a representative at 1.800.288.2020

Despite your opinion of importance, the requirement for this service to be available to customers is a requirement of AT&T.

If it does not get corrected I will fill and FCC complaint.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

The web link you posted is correct but it does not work.

Error: ECPNI0106: The account entered is not eligible for ECPNI. For more details Please call a representative at 1.800.288.2020

Despite your opinion of importance, the requirement for this service to be available to customers is a requirement of AT&T.

If it does not get corrected I will fill and FCC complaint.

So the link works, but your account is not eligible to use it. That's a completely different story. 

If you wish to continue to spend your time on this issue, you can call back and find someone familiar with the process (which they all should be, but you know...) or  send a private message to @ATTCares and someone will respond in a week or two. They aren't speedy, but they will be able to get this done for you.

All this will do is require AT&T to specifically ask your permission each time they wish to use your CPNI to offer new products. It won't stop general marketing via mail. It won't stop reps from trying to get you to add to your existing service. It isn't telling AT&T you don't want your info sold. 

Again, pursuing this seems like a waste of time and effort, but have at it. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

If you think telling me I am wasting my time is a solution, you are being disrespectful.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

If you think telling me I am wasting my time is a solution, you are being disrespectful.

Not wasting your time IS a solution, even if it's not one you like. 

I gave you other solutions as well. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

You gave me no working solution. You only repeated the way it should work, not how to get it fixed. You can stop replying now. I will be following up with a formal FCC complaint of a required service.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

You gave me no working solution. You only repeated the way it should work, not how to get it fixed. You can stop replying now. I will be following up with a formal FCC complaint of a required service.

I'll repeat: You can call AT&T until you get someone familiar with the process or you can send a private message to @ATTCares and someone will be able to help. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

You continue to reply when I asked you to stop, I have reported your post as inappropriate content to the moderator.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

You continue to reply when I asked you to stop, I have reported your post as inappropriate content to the moderator.

Yes, because others might stumble across this post at some point down the road and they deserve answers as well. 

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco Why so combative? You realize you are communicating with another customer, not ATT, yes? As for filing an FCC complaint, all that will lead to is someone from ATT contacting you, the FCC does actually intervene. The message to @ATTCares will accomplish the same thing.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

OK, so the time I have wasted was posting anything in this stupid community that AT&T does not monitor. The FCC does intervene, I have filled complaints before and they get results.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

2 years ago

Ok, Here is some useful information unlike that noted by the "Ace-Maters" above. I filled a complaint with FCC and now I am 4-0 with against telco companies. 

Issue: AT&T has a "unified" billing if you have multiple services. The account number on the unified billing does not match the account number for your wireless phones and as a result the CPNI request will fail because you are not using the correct account number. You have to call the useless customer service and ask for your mobility account number, for some unknown reason is not on your bill! If the useless customer service reps do not know what you are talking about (chances are high this is true), follow my steps and fill with the FCC. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

As for the "Ace-Masters" suggestions to call customer service, 5 different account reps did not know this information. Second I did a PM to the  @ATTCares

and I got no response.

BTW, filling a complaint with FCC may seem petty, but it is the only way to get someone on the phone that knows how to do the job, sad but true.

• 

2 Messages

I found the wireless account number:

1. Login into your AT&T account www.att.com/myatt

2. Click Support at the top (on the left side of the shopping cart)

3. You will see your Wireless account number (My Wireless account 12-digits or so) in the middle of the screen

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

36K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

OK, so the time I have wasted was posting anything in this stupid community that AT&T does not monitor. The FCC does intervene, I have filled complaints before and they get results.

No, the FCC does not intervene or perhaps you have a different definition of intervene. The FCC does pass the complaint to ATT and ATT must respond within 30 days. That is why filing an FCC complaint will get a response but that is not intervening. I am surprised the FCC complaint got a faster response than the private message.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

2 years ago

@Chuckcisco wrote:

Ok, Here is some useful information unlike that noted by the "Ace-Maters" above. I filled a complaint with FCC and now I am 4-0 with against telco companies. 

Issue: AT&T has a "unified" billing if you have multiple services. The account number on the unified billing does not match the account number for your wireless phones and as a result the CPNI request will fail because you are not using the correct account number. You have to call the useless customer service and ask for your mobility account number, for some unknown reason is not on your bill! If the useless customer service reps do not know what you are talking about (chances are high this is true), follow my steps and fill with the FCC. https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

As for the "Ace-Masters" suggestions to call customer service, 5 different account reps did not know this information. Second I did a PM to the  @ATTCares

and I got no response.

BTW, filling a complaint with FCC may seem petty, but it is the only way to get someone on the phone that knows how to do the job, sad but true.

I wouldn't say you were "against" a telco. But if that makes you feel better about wasting hours of your time and accomplishing literally next to nothing, great, good for you. Thanks for updating the situation with the solution. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

4 months ago

Ok MicCheck,

However the entire set of text being displayed is severely error-ed the following. It does imply that the request can be reconciled by calling a representative or at least explained why it is not applicable to the individual's account. In fact, at this point the site knows the situation and the site website should remove the last header and 2 sentences so as to Not Be Misleading. Even better the last section should explain Why the account is not eligible. At the point of building this page (and posting back to the client) on the application server the programmers would have access to the reason, or build a correlation formulate/reason the answer to the reason in the DB so that it might be used. The truth of the matter is that this response page is a crappy design just pushing more crap at customer service where the reasoning should be displayed here on the page. At this point you must be logged into the AT&T site so you wouldn't be divulging a "personal" reason for refusal to just anyone, only the logged in user.

Long winded but does this make sense? In truth, AT&T should never provide what appears to be an "open offer" and then nullify it in such a soft way that can be so easily misunderstood in order to throw their customer service under the bus.

Customer Proprietary Network Information (CPNI) Restriction Request

• ECPNI0106: The account entered is not eligible for ECPNI. For more details Please call a representative at 1.800.288.2020
We're Having Trouble Processing Your CPNI Request

We're Having Trouble Processing Your CPNI Request

You can still make your request by phone. Please call a representative at 1-800-288-2020.

• 

2 Messages

I think I copied the solution I found in an inconvenient place above, sorry.

This is an easy way to find the wireless account you need to opt out CPNI:

1. Login into your AT&T account www.att.com/myatt

2. Click Support at the top (on the left side of the shopping cart)

3. You will see your Wireless account number (My Wireless account 12-digits or so) in the middle of the screen

• 

1 Message

Melancoryphus had the best and most simple answer. Too bad the ACE/Experts couldn't be as helpful.

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…