Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

• 

6 Messages

Mon, Jan 27, 2020 1:32 AM

Customer loyalty department a sham?

Currently have 4 phones off contract and looking to upgrade to of them. Have been an ATT customer forever but being off contract I figured I would shop a little. Chatted with ATT customer service, which was great, at the end of the conversation she told me she would have her manager call me so they could get me connected to the "customer loyalty" department. After another 15 min he offered me the same incentives as their normal customer service. I told them I know I can save more money with Verizon but offer me something to keep me - do not have to match it just make me feel better about staying.

Anyone else had this experience?

Responses

mobilemax

Employee

• 

796 Messages

2 months ago

Hello,

I would visit your local AT&T corporate store to find the best solution. Waiting on someone to call you probably isn't as reliable and even if they give you a deal, how would you follow up with anyone? There are a lot of deals for upgrading for current loyal customers, some require trade in of old device and some not. You can see most through www.att.com/deals or visit or call store.
*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

• 

6 Messages

@mobilemax

Thanks Mobile - will try this at the weekend.

GLIMMERMAN76

ACE - Expert

• 

19.2K Messages

@mobilemax

retention's is the only place he is going to get a deal period. A store is a waste of time and effort as they have to go by the pricing model in the store aka sticker price. Retention's can give a customer a 24 month contract which a store can't.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72K Messages

2 months ago

And your complaint is?
Phone deals are not to save us money. They are to add new business, steal customers from other carriers, and make a profit off selling us new services.
The purpose of any deal is for there to be something in it for both parties. If you want something new from AT&T, they are looking for something new from you. It's the same with all the other carriers, they don't give something for nothing.

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

6 Messages

As it has been explained to me, the customer retention department does not have the authority to offer you anything different than what is shown on their website. The folks in the department are extremely friendly, and they genuinely want your business, but they simply do not have the authority to do anything differently than exactly what you see on the website.

@lizdance40 Customer acquisition cost is generally several (usually on the order of somewhere between 4 and 10) times higher than the price of retaining existing customers. Obviously, the exact number is industry- and company-specific (and I would suspect less in telecom), but it generally takes a lot fewer resources to convince an existing customer to continue a business relationship than it does to bring a new customer in, provided that existing customer is at least reasonably satisfied with the product/service. At the end of the day, offering existing customers incentives (and other tokens of appreciation) means a telecom company is very much so getting something...that consumer's continued business, which isn't a given. While major telecom companies generally excel in attracting new customers and onboarding, their retention strategies are generally not nearly as good, and rarely are they proactive. YMMV.

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

@get_schwifty

1. Most customers aren't going to leave simply because AT&T won't give them something for free.

2. Shareholders care more about new customer counts than other metrics (like churn).

• 

6 Messages

@get_schwifty

Thanks for your reply.

My issue is after spending 20 min talking to customer service, she tells me this is the best she can do but if she can transfer me to the customer loyalty dept and they can offer things that she can not. So what you are telling me is that this is not true? If so that kind of sums it up.

Like I said, not looking to something free or to match verizon, just offer me something to keep me from switching.

Evidently they are not interested in retaining customers. Funny thing is 30 days after I switch I am sure I will get a call, email, or direct mail offering me something more meaningful to return. I the end easier to spend the time retaining customer than trying to get them back.

• 

6 Messages

@lizdance40

Would disagree - What they have now is $200.00 a month from me. The know exactly what Verizon is offering to switch customers. Don't have to match but when you get to the position to switch they should be more aggressive to keep customers - easier to keep them now then to try and lure them back later - business 101. Also in a unique position as all phones are off contract and out of any commitments - Which they should be able to see.

Not trying to complain here - just pointing out the reality of it.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72K Messages

@get_schwifty

I don't know who told you that, but that's not correct. Customer retention has the ability to offer deals that are only available through customer retention. Offers NOT available to the public. The offers change offen, and are not customized, but a stock of available deals.

for example:

When the new iPhones came out in September, there were customers who were retained because they called in and got a deal for $450 off iPhones. Within a couple of months the offer was reduced to $250 off.
Retention also occasionally has deals that reduce the cost of plans, or special plans. I had a retention only unlimited data plan for one month. It still wasn't enough to keep me.

Customer aquisitions or churn is 1.5% of the business. Always has been.

(edited)

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

• 

6 Messages

@MicCheck

1. Not saying you are wrong there

2. Not saying you are wring there, either

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72K Messages

@mdsmbs

@get_schwifty is not correct. retention has a stock of offers, they may have something that entices you to stay, they may not. The deals retention has change often, they cannot mae them up, they are given a list of offers by at&t .

So at&t has $200 from you. They want more. Any deal comes with a quid pro quo of some kind.

• 

6 Messages

@lizdance40 I was informed by this by through my own interaction with the aforementioned source, hence the note "As it has been explained to me."

I am glad to know that isn't the case...but also glad I left if I was being told incorrect information as such.

Cheers.

(edited)

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72K Messages

Is it possible you misunderstood what you were told?

You may have been looking for a deal on phones, at a time when there were no deals available other than the ones that were listed as public offers. And loyalty offers may depend on how long you have been with the carrier and what plan you are on. In some cases they may be willing to lose you unless you move to a current (profitable) plan.

* Reddit usually has employees who leaked loyalty deals.

When I called up looking for unlimited data the plans that were available would have pushed my bill passed what Verizon could offer me for 5 lines in a tablet. I wasn't looking for phones at all, and I even transferred all of my existing unlocked phones over to Verizon.
The unlimited plan they had available was a good deal, but it was still more expensive then Verizon mix and match plan, and my budget is tight.

• 

6 Messages

@lizdance40

Unfortunately, it was not a misunderstanding. I clearly outlined the online offer AT&T made and compared it to the offer I was considering from a competing carrier. A different carrier offered me an additional $450 trade in value on my device and about a $20 monthly savings on the plan. I did not ask AT&T to match that level of value, but asked for something that would make me feel better about staying with AT&T. I mean...I had been with them since the Cingular days, so I've been a pretty reliable revenue stream. However, the best "deal" AT&T was willing to offer was a $240 trade in on my phone (which they turn around and sell for $765 in used condition.) I was told verbatim that the only options they have the authority to offer me is the exact one listed on their website.

The cost of them retaining my service would have been small, as it commonly is (again, going back to my note on retention - and there is no reason they couldn't have upsold me to a more profitable plan combined with some savings, if that was their reservation.) I replied to this because I feel exactly like the OP, and I find it hilarious how the company didn't want to gain thousands of dollars in service for simply increasing a trade by a hundred bucks or so (that they would still turn a profit on.) And if they could not have done that, there are still a myriad of actions they could have taken that would have at least said, 'hey, we actually value your business, and we value you as a customer.'

I did not mean to hijack the OP's thread, but my experience with customer retention was identical.

• 

6 Messages

@mdsmbs I know EXACTLY how you feel. Even a small token of customer appreciation goes a long way - our business is not a guarantee. As you noted, it does not have to as significant of a savings as another company is offering as a new line sign up, but even something small goes a very long way.

• 

6 Messages

Update - Made the switch to Verizon this week - Save $25.00 month and got a $250.00 visa card for each of the 4 phones I switched over.

Had an issue with a Gazelle purchased Iphone not unlocking ( purchased 5 months ago) but Gazelle stepped up and replaced the phone even though it was passed their 30 day warranty. Now that is great customer service!!

Good luck to all and have a great spring

AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…