Help for account, billing & more
blissfool's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Fri, Jul 25, 2014 6:12 PM

Closing a line in family plan - moving out of country

I'm planning to close a line in my family plan next week and I've ready in few other posts that it may be possible to get ETF waived if you are moving out of country. Is that correct?

The thing is that she won't be moving out of country until end of September, I think. I'm not sure if that will have an effect on eligibility to get the fee waived. Is there a chance to get the fee waived after she leaves?

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

Most of the time the fees are waived are for active military duty being re-assigned to an out-of-country location.

Depending on how much time is left in the contract, it may actually be cheaper to convert her to the lowest service possible and just turn the phone off and not use it until the contract is over, then cancel without a fee. If it's a single line on a family plan, you might be able to get your monthly charges down to $10-25/month, which means that you could possibly pay several months fees cheaper than paying an ETF.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

Thank you for you reply. That's an interesting suggestion. I'm assuming you meant it would be cheaper to go that route if she doesn't have that much time left in her contract.

I just checked out her contract and it looks like it's ending on 05/17/2015 which is quite some time. Also, she wants to make a clean break from us and don't want us to have to deal with any expenses related to her after she leaves.

Edit:

Oh also, if we decide to go with the option you've suggested, is it possible to just drop data? So, I guess that would mean the charge would only be $10 for the additional line. She has iPhone 5S.

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

You can remove the data plan as long as she doesn't use her phone with the AT&T SIM in it. You can switch the phone to a basic phone plan, but as soon as AT&T gets records of her SIM card being used in a smartphone, they will automatically add the data plan back to the account. If you switch it to a basic phone plan, and remove the SIM from her phone, then you would be able to pay the $10/month for her phone for the 10 or 11 remaining months of the contract on her line. You would need to remember to cancel her line once the contract is up, but the $110 to continue it for 11 months would probably be lower than the ETF which would probably be closer to $250 right now.

I remember doing similar to this when I upgraded my old Blackberry to an iPhone many years ago, except that I didn't cancel my data service back then. I only had 4 months remaining. so it cost me about $160 in service fees vs. the ETF which was about $175, so it was only a small savings for me.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 y ago

Ah, okay. But, that also means she won't be able to unlock her phone until her contract is up, right?

If so, she might still want to pay the ETF so she can get her phone unlocked... hm...

GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 y ago

You are correct about unlocking the phone. To unlock, she would need to pay the ETF (and cancel the contract) or complete the terms of the contract. That does add a new complexity in her choice. I'm sure that you are going to make a good choice since you do seem to be considering all the important facts.
sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

55.4K Messages

7 y ago

The ETF fee for a smartphone is $325 minus $10 for each completed month of the contract. If she's completed 14 months, the ETF should be $185 now. Should you drop to the lowest service and just keep paying, it will be $12 - $13 per month with taxes and fees which works out to $120 - $130 with 10 months to go.
Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.