Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Protect your device against loss, theft, damage and get expert technical support. Open Enrollment Ends 3/31/21.
4fish's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Jun 5, 2014 8:44 AM

Changing from individual plan to Family Plan

My daughter in Texas (with unlocked iPhone4) is currently on an individual plan w/ texting and data. She is due an upgrade soon.

Me, my wife and other child will move back to the USA this summer.

My wife and I already have iPhone5's, unlocked.

My other child does not now have a mobile phone and will need to get an iPhone as part of the new Family Plan.

So, we'll have 4 persons, all on iPhones and all living in the Houston, Texas area.

My Question . . . what's the best way for us to progress to a Family Plan, buy one new iPhone and upgrade the iPhone4. What are approximate costs for this?

BTW, we use mostly iMessage or WeChat for our messaging, not a huge amount of data.

Thanks!!

Responses

sandblaster

ACE - Expert

• 

46.9K Messages

7 years ago

@4fish wrote:

My daughter in Texas (with unlocked iPhone4) is currently on an individual plan w/ texting and data. She is due an upgrade soon.

Me, my wife and other child will move back to the USA this summer.

My wife and I already have iPhone5's, unlocked.

My other child does not now have a mobile phone and will need to get an iPhone as part of the new Family Plan.

So, we'll have 4 persons, all on iPhones and all living in the Houston, Texas area.

My Question . . . what's the best way for us to progress to a Family Plan, buy one new iPhone and upgrade the iPhone4. What are approximate costs for this?

BTW, we use mostly iMessage or WeChat for our messaging, not a huge amount of data.

Thanks!!

The old Family Talk plans are no longer available but since your daughter already has a legacy individual plan, they might let her change to a Family Talk plan. The cost for the 700 minute plan I had was $60 for the minutes, $10 for each additional phone to share the minutes, $30 for family unlimited texting, then each phone must have their own individual data plan ($20 for 300 MB or $30 for 3GB). That brings the monthly total to anywhere from $200-$240 depending on which data plan each phone has.

If they do not let your daughter switch to Family Talk, your only choice is Mobile Share. You pick the amount of data you want to share (choices range from $20/mo for 300MB to $375/mo for 50GB) plus you pay either $15, $25 or $40 for each phone to share that data. Everyone also gets unlimited talk and text. The $15/$25 per phone rate is only for phones not under contract, $15/mo for plans of 10GB or higher, $25/mo for plans less than 10GB. If you buy a new phone or upgrade at the 2 year contract price, you will pay $40/mo for that phone until the contract expires. You can avoid the $40/mo rate by buying the new phone or upgrading via the Next plan or buy the new iphone directly from Apple at the "no-contract" price. The best value for 4 phones is the 10GB plan for $100 plus four phones not under contract (4 x $15) for a total of $160/month. Mobile Share pricing is available here: http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html

Award for Community Excellence 2020 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
guangzl1

Scholar

• 

185 Messages

7 years ago

Base on what I know, you might need to contact customer service of att in order to convert from individual plan to family plan if you want to keep the old grandfathered plan, which has limitation of how many minutes you can call.

However, you should check out the new plan to see if it suite you or not. If it makes more sense to have the new plan, then why stay with the old plan? Right? It really all depends on what you looking to get and what your intention as using the wireless phone for.
GeekBoy

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

7 years ago

Sandblaster has pretty much given you everything you had asked about.

I would like to add a point though.  You had mentioned that your daughter would be upgrading her iPhone 4, and you would be purchasing a new smartphone for your second daughter.  Keep in mind that if you purchase a phone with a 2 year contract (discounted phone price) that the chage per phone for those lines will be higher, because he quoted you the "out of contract" (discount) prices for the Mobile Share pricing.  If you purchase Contract discounted iPhones you will pay an additional $25/phone each month for your service.

If you purchase a 16GB iPhone 5s for $199, then that is the contract subsidized phone, as the full iPhone price is $649 for a 16GB iPhone 5s.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Get started...

Ask a new question