Need help understanding your bill?
Dc8610's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 10:26 PM

Changed my plan without consent

I called att today to see why my rollover gigs had gone away on my 30 gig family share plan. Well I was told that my plan was changed to a 30 gig advantage plan with no overages. I asked who authorized this plan change since I’m the only one with access to the account and they couldn’t give me a straight answer. Then I was told that well maybe the agent felt like I would be better off on this plan that’s why it could of been changed. Like really? When does an agent have the right to say when I need to change my plan. I got the run around for an hour and a half then finally I was told I couldn’t go back to my plan because it was a grandfather plan. So after getting transferred 5 times and having to start all over again I spoke with a lady that supposedly opened a case to get me back on my original plan then she said she fixed it but I have yet to see my online account update. Keeping my fingers crossed....

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Rrecinos

@Justinjspina

@Sonogal380

You were all notified two ways.  An email was sent 2 months in advance and a notice was on your bill

It seems not too many are reading emails from ATT.  You need to change this.  The emails are sent for your protection.  

Emails from ATT warn you of account changes.  Like a phone being purchased, change to passcode, password, email address associated, and on and on.  

Back in December some customers had their accounts hacked and phones bought on their account.  The ones who read their email from ATT were able to stop these fraud phones from shipping and/or recover their accounts quickly before phones were ordered.  

While this was extreme, you still need to know if there are changes made to your account.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Justinjspina wrote:

This exact same thing just happened to me last week.  I was told my 10gb plan was being phased out and they so stepped me up to the 20gb plan as a result without my consent or knowledge.    When I called to complain I was redirected and disconnected three times.  When I finally got a person on the phone they tried to convince me it was a great deal I was getting  This made me even more offended and angry.  When I finally got a rep manager on the phone I threatened tort lawsuit and immediately she dropped my plan to 12gb for $25 less than I was paying for the 10gb plan.  Try to make sense of that.  Why would you change my plan to a more expensive one when there is a bigger cheaper option than I was paying before. This needs a tort lawsuit.  I was never notified that my plan would change nor did I give permission.  How are they able to do this legally??  Something smells fishy.  Is this a scandal setup from the decision repeal of net neutrality??  Tort lawsuit anyone?  Count me in.  

Because they didn't change you to a different plan originally; they simply changed what the plan includes and costs. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Justinjspina wrote:

This exact same thing just happened to me last week.  I was told my 10gb plan was being phased out and they so stepped me up to the 20gb plan as a result without my consent or knowledge.    When I called to complain I was redirected and disconnected three times.  When I finally got a person on the phone they tried to convince me it was a great deal I was getting  This made me even more offended and angry.  When I finally got a rep manager on the phone I threatened tort lawsuit and immediately she dropped my plan to 12gb for $25 less than I was paying for the 10gb plan.  Try to make sense of that.  Why would you change my plan to a more expensive one when there is a bigger cheaper option than I was paying before. This needs a tort lawsuit.  I was never notified that my plan would change nor did I give permission.  How are they able to do this legally??  Something smells fishy.  Is this a scandal setup from the decision repeal of net neutrality??  Tort lawsuit anyone?  Count me in.  

Too bad the rep wasn’t more savvy.  You cannot sue your carrier.   The Supreme Court says NO.

Um...TORT lawsuit?   Might want to google what tort means.  

You have ZERO grounds to dispute the plan change and Att (and other carriers) have every right to raise prices and change plan terms.  Read your Terms of Service.  You have no contract.  

Why do you think they all dumped contracts for phone installments only?

By the way, they changed you to the Flex plan with 2 gigs bonus.  The 10 gig Flex plan is $75 after Auto pay discount.   Whoopie doo.   When 5G hits you will wish you kept the 20 gig plan.

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

Section 1.3

1.3 Can AT&T Change My Terms And Rates?

We may change any terms, conditions, rates, fees, expenses, or charges regarding your Services at any time. We will provide you with notice of material changes (other than changes to governmental fees, proportional charges for governmental mandates, roaming rates or administrative charges) either in your monthly bill or separately. You understand and agree that State and Federal Universal Service Fees and other governmentally imposed fees, whether or not assessed directly upon you, may be increased based upon the government's or our calculations.

IF WE INCREASE THE PRICE OF ANY OF THE SERVICES TO WHICH YOU SUBSCRIBE, BEYOND THE LIMITS SET FORTH IN YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE SUMMARY, OR IF WE MATERIALLY DECREASE THE GEOGRAPHICAL AREA IN WHICH YOUR AIRTIME RATE APPLIES (OTHER THAN A TEMPORARY DECREASE FOR REPAIRS OR MAINTENANCE), WE'LL DISCLOSE THE CHANGE AT LEAST ONE BILLING CYCLE IN ADVANCE (EITHER THROUGH A NOTICE WITH YOUR BILL, A TEXT MESSAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR OTHERWISE), AND YOU MAY TERMINATE THIS AGREEMENT WITHOUT PAYING AN EARLY TERMINATION FEE OR RETURNING OR PAYING FOR ANY PROMOTIONAL ITEMS, PROVIDED YOUR NOTICE OF TERMINATION IS DELIVERED TO US WITHIN THIRTY (30) DAYS AFTER THE FIRST BILL REFLECTING THE CHANGE.

If you lose your eligibility for a particular rate plan, we may change your rate plan to one for which you qualify.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Sonogal380 wrote:

@Gary L  my new plan is Mobile Share Flex. The old one was called Mobile Share Advantage. I had the 10gb plan and when plan was changed it went to 20gb. I switched to 10gb via mobile app when I noticed the new plan. 

What you picked in the mobile app was an MS FLEX plan.

Call 611 ask for "retention" and ask for the Mobile Share Advantage 6GB plan that got doubled to 12GB and you should save money.

IF they will not do that then see if you can get your 10GB plan back (not doubled).

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

Me too. I'm pretty sure upping my plan and charging me more money per month is illegal.  I faught with a rep for an hour last week. It's still wrong. I'll have to ready myself for another upsetting and draining phone call to try once again to undo this horrible wrong.  

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I had the exact same experience and the exact same thought. I'm trying to make time to contact my state representatives and notify them of this likely illegal and at a minimum unethical and sneaky practice. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll have to ready myself for another upsetting and draining phone call to try once again to undo this horrible wrong.  

"My cellular carrier has wronged me by raising prices and doubling my data..." 
 What do you do when the cable company adds (or removes) channels and raises the price?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

6 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

Me too. I'm pretty sure upping my plan and charging me more money per month is illegal.  I faught with a rep for an hour last week. It's still wrong. I'll have to ready myself for another upsetting and draining phone call to try once again to undo this horrible wrong.  

Any business can change their prices and plans and nothing is illegal about it.  If there were a contract on service a change would void the contract, but you don’t have one.  

The Terms of service and lack of contracts mean all carriers can change their prices and plans with notice.  

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement-list.html

Read section 1.3.

Rather than posting unsubstantiated and illogical statements and bothering ATT or your state representative, read your terms of service.  

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

6 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll have to ready myself for another upsetting and draining phone call to try once again to undo this horrible wrong.  

No, you don't. In fact, you shouldn't. If you don't like the change, you can find a new plan or find a new carrier. 

That's it. Don't waste your time (and the rep's time!) and energy trying to find something else. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

lizdance40 - you're such a shill for at&t. Having it on your bill after the fact is not 'notification'. Hey why don't you give me your credit card and I'll buy a bunch of stuff for myself and then you'll be notified when the collectors start calling you. That's your notification.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.