Skip to main content
AT&T Community Forums
Announcements
Get to the head of the class with our Back to School deals!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Thu, Feb 28, 2019 5:22 PM

Can't change my new cell phone number even though web site says I can

I  just got a new cellphone SIM for my young daughter. The phone number is hard to remember, so I want to change it to something easier. The following AT&T support page provides instructions: Change your wireless number.

The instructions on the support page says:

"Ways to get a new number

How much it costs to change a number depends on when you do it:
  • Within 30 days of activation for free: Head to your local AT&T store or call us at 800.331.0500.
  • After 30 days for a $36 change fee: Request the change online, at an AT&T store, or by contacting us."

However, when I call into 800-331-0500, the representative says they can't do a number change within 30 days of activation, only 30 days AFTER, and for $36. So, the representative is telling me the exact opposite of "Within 30 days of activation for free: Head to your local AT&T store or call us at 800.331.0500."

How do I resolve this?

Responses

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

76.5K Messages

a year ago

@nachoden  If you change by calling, or online, you get a new random number.  If you want to pick a number that’s easier to remember, you need to go to a company store.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T or any carrier. Never have, never will. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

a year ago

After a few attempts to calling into customer service to get someone who knew how this worked, after about an hour on the phone, I got handed off to a group that handled number changes. I was in fact able to get them to change the number over the phone to a number that was easier to remember (although they still wanted to charge me, but was able to get them to adhere to the policy on the site and do it at no charge). That department can take requests for numbers and check if they're available. Here's how I got the number I wanted - I went online and used the web site tool to change my number for another number I owned. That tool presents you with a few dozen numbers to pick from. I identified a few numbers that worked, then canceled out from the tool to release the numbers I was shown. I then asked the rep to check the numbers I found online for the new number I want to change. I got the first number I wanted. 

Once upon a time, when getting a new phone or SIM (bring your own phone) from AT&T, you could pick a number right off the bat. Now, you have to go through the above...

• 

1 Message

@nachoden can you do this for me. I’m going through the exact same thing.

Get started...

Ask a new question