Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 1st, 2021 9:03 AM

Cannot receive one-time SMS code while overseas

I have an iphone 12 and I cannot receive one-time SMS codes from websites needing to verify information by typing in the 'one-time code we will send via SMS'. I am in Europe (czech republic). This is a major issue as traveling with Covid restrictions requires you to use your phone a lot for one-time SMS codes. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

That’s not enough information to suggest anything. Do you even get service? If you have prepaid service, prepaid does not roam internationally except select European countries but the Czech Republic is not one of them.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I have service and pay for the AT&T international Day pass. I can receive SMS texts from other people’s phones, both from USA and Czech Republic. However, when it comes to one time codes that a website sends via SMS, I do not get the text message. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

Call the international support but it’s unlikely ATT can do anything. What you describe sounds like a problem with the sender.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

The whole point is that ATT does not allow you to have another method to communicate with them other than SMS that requires their cellular data plan... If like me you know their plans are outrageous and you want to check the billing for other phones on your plan you cannot while overseas. If your cellular data is turned off... Thank goodness ATT has geniuses on their side that know how to make money by disallowing communication with them while overseas... so that you cannot see if another phone on your plan is being charged for roaming data without your knowledge... very shrewd and scrooge like. It's a Merry Christmas from ATT, at least for them... thanks ATT!!!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.6K Messages

2 years ago

@jimdenver

You can call at&t free, 24/7 from outside USA +1.314.925.6925

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

@anna23bocek Don’t know if short codes can be sent to phones overseas without the US international country code prefix (011). Most cell phones can automatically add This to calls with dial assist. 

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

@formerlyknownas LOL You have a great sense of humor… thanks for the laugh because ATT requires Cellular turned on to make the call… HaHa very very funny… I guess you’re not overseas? Maybe, just maybe ATT can use that number on their web page? OR OR discover another way to verify through wifi? Just a thought? 

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

@jimdenver  You are wanting AT&T to increase the Font size on the “Contact Us” links on their web pages. The 800 numbers and international numbers are listed there. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

2 years ago

You don't have to have cellular data on to make a phone call. 

Or you could ask the person using this other phone if they are using roaming data. That's probably easier than getting AT&T involved. 

Besides, depending on what country you're in and how long you're there, $10 a day, with a maximum of $100 per billing cycle isn't really that outrageous of a price. You get 50% of additional phones, too. It sounds like you're comfortable with your ability to manage your usage, so you'd only have to add that for the people that have you worried. 

ACE - Professor

• 

3K Messages

2 years ago

Part of the $10.00 per day charge for the international day pass is reimbursement to the cellular carrier overseas. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.