Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
ElliottH's profile

6 Messages

Friday, March 1st, 2024 6:30 PM

calls from disconnected numbers

Hey AT&T - why do I keep getting calls from phone numbers that are not in service / disconnected, and what are you doing about it?

Don't tell me about active armor or whatever - I have that but it only blocks a small percentage of the calls I receive - maybe two or three out of the dozen or more I receive PER DAY. I must have 500-600 blocked numbers on my phone by now.

What I want to know is what are you doing to upgrade your system so that calls from numbers not in service / disconnected can't even be made? What are you doing to block number spoofers at the outgoing end so your customers don't have to deal with it at the receiving end?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 months ago

Again, there's nothing to fix; everything is working as designed. Number spoofing will not be stopped, because it's necessary. AT&T doesn't get to pick and choose what spoofing will be allowed and what won't be. 

Stop calling back random numbers and you won't even know they're not active. 

6 Messages

3 months ago

Again - design problem that should be fixed.

Numbers that are not in service should not be accessible for telemarketers or scammers to hide behind.

MicCheck, it sounds like you disagree with that or think it's an unachievable goal. That's OK. But I'm not satisfied with that as a conclusion. 

You illustrate the problem with relying on an end-user solution. How can I be sure someone who calls me isn't legit unless I call them back? Am I supposed to report and block any number that I don't recognize and who doesn't leave a voicemail? How much type one error will that create?

It's absurd that our telephone system is being hijacked and hamstrung in this way.

Those are rhetorical questions, btw. No need for continued trolling.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 months ago

@ElliottH   You’ll want to educate yourself on “spoofing” and the FCC is just the place to start.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

3 months ago

Honestly, it's a good thing they're spoofing disconnected numbers. If they were to spoof active numbers instead, those poor people would have people like you calling everyday!

ACE - Expert

• 

32.3K Messages

3 months ago

We are not a fan of the situation. Unfortunately it is working as designed. It would take a complete overhaul of how this treated by the phone industry and the powers that regulate it. As such it goes beyond AT&T's level as an individual provider. I get not the answer you want, but unfortunately the reality of the situation.

I agree that a separation of specialized approved "spoofing from illegitimate means (i.e. outbound from school shows main number, not the direct office line of the individual) would be helpful. Also if a call could be verified at the time it is made that it is a valid number (doesn't stop it being disconnected soon after so would only help a bit). As this is an annoyance that affects all providers, it seems to me that this needs to be addressed at the FCC level. But I wouldn't expect any quick movement on it.

Like others I am sharing my perspective. This is open for public discussion and nobody has been "trolling" even if they (perhaps energetically) disagree with you. As it is not official communication with AT&T telling them to "get on it" doesn't do anything, though probably the same result if you called them as that is well beyond what a customer support rep can do.

(edited)

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

3 months ago

Well, if I'm on the do not call list and a robocaller is calling me anyway, and using spoofed numbers to hide from me and the FCC, then that is probably not legal, right?

If you read the FCC information, caller ID spoofing is not illegal unless the purpose of hiding your phone number is to defraud.   

Most spoofing is not by US based computer callers.  They're paid by a US company to ask if your car warranty has expired.  

It's a loophole the FCC has to tackle.   The numbers do not originate as a regular phone call. They originate just like FaceTime calls or Google voice, as data only.  

Numbers are usually spoofed for a very short amount of time, then people block them, so they switch to another number.  

Read the link @skeeterintexas  provided.

Unfortunately even with the FCC and the service providers 'getting on it'   sometimes the best we can get is notification that it may be a spam call or telemarketer

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.