Shop Now, Avoid Delays - Get Our Best Holiday Deals!
Help for account, billing & more
dsamuelson1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sat, Nov 15, 2014 10:59 PM

Buyer Beware

My experience with AT&T had been uneventful until recently.  My family plan had five phones on it.  I'll call them phone 1, phone 2, phone, 3, and phone 4, and phone 5 respectively.  We have experienced problems with our phones when AT&T updates their software from time to time.  So, last February, we were experiencing such an event.  We called AT&T for phone 4, to get technical support.  AT&T recommended we just upgrade the phone, since is was not a smart phone or anything, however, the phone wasn't up for renewall until May.  So, AT&T suggested that we could apply the renewall of phone 5 to that of phone 4, so we could get the phone up and running, then in May, renew phone 4 with phone 5 upgrade plan.  It seemed like a reasonable sollution to an unsuspecting guy.  Fast Forward to October.  we did not upgrade phone 5 in May as thought, but my son who uses phone 5 wanted to leave AT&T and take his number with him.  Mind you, this phone on our family plan was not upgraded, the phone number from phone 4 was.  This should have been a simple task.  Yet, on our next bill, we were shocked to find that AT&T had charged us a $134.76 charge (118.00 for the cancellation) to a contract that didn't apply.  AT&T claims that the contract is in black and white, and that the phone 5 contract really doesn't apply to phone 4, but that it follows the upgrade, not the number.  What?  I couldn't believe my ears, or eyes from my contract.  I pay my bills via the number, why wouldn't the contract be tied to a phone number, rather than their claim that it applies to the phone shell.  Why then can I switch sim cards and us other phones?  This didn't make senset to me, but I certainly feel like AT&T is pulling a "bait and switch" to line their pockets with an extra $118.00, plus taxes, dollars. 

It has taken now a half a day on the phone, with multiple calls to customer service, and the issue is still not resolved.  

Maybe I am starting to see the wisdom in my 24 year old son's reason for leaving AT&T

So, with this background now explained, how do I work with AT&T to correct the process of misbilling?  How many other tenured customers have been taken advantage of?

Devin

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 y ago

Well, to follow up on the recent situation.  AT&T did spend the time and work with me to resolve the issue.  Although it was not complete without some give and take, as a tenured customer, I felt that the effort on their part for resolution met the principle of my complaint.

- thank you AT&T

kdfederer

ACE - Expert

• 

12.5K Messages

7 y ago

when you used phone line 5 to upgrade phone line 4, it caused a new contract on phone line 5, since phone line 4 was not eligible. The contract goes to the phone line used for the upgrade, not the line the phone is used on.

You can use any line to buy an upgraded phone and immediately sell it or use it on another line. That line is still under contract even though you do not have the phone on that line, that was the line used for the upgrade.

Need help?
Fix, replace or check device delivery
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.