Announcements

For the latest on our response to Coronavirus (COVID-19), click here.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, May 16, 2019 5:46 PM

BOGO SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I added a new phone line on August 5, 2018, along with buying the new phone and was told that I could get a new phone for free, since they were running the special: add a new line, buy a phone and get a phone free.  I didn't need a new phone, but thought it would be dumb not to take advantage of this.  I wish I could turn back time!  They said that I had 2 weeks to come back in and take advantage of this offer if I wanted to.  I went back in on August 13th to get the "free" phone.  Since the September 13th bill I have been charged for that "free" phone!   So many hours have been spent talking to costomer service trying to get this corrected.  I just paid for the 9th installment of my "free" phone, it's so upsetting that the phone company that I have been with for over 20 years has turned to scamming and not caring about costumers!   I'm posting this in hopes of anyone being able to give me advice or perhaps AT&T seeing this and deciding that hmm, this is happening alot maybe we should value our customers and stop lying to them.  I'll give this a couple more months and if this isn't corrected then my kids and I will be switching over to Verizon where my husband has his cell service.

Responses

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

6 months ago

@FEDUP99001234, I know what you’re saying, but I don’t think you did meet the qualifications. You said yourself an unlimited plan was required. 

File a BBB complaint. AT&T corporate will contact you. Maybe they can help. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

No. I said that the following day had a different BOGO offer that required an unlimited plan.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

6 months ago

@FEDUP99001234  Well that puts your purchase a long time back.  The unlimited data plan requirement has persisted since April. 

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

By the way, ATT has finally acknowledged their mistake after going to arbitration on this. Lesson to learn for others is document and save everything to be able to prove your position. They were in the wrong as I said.{keep it courteous}

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

6 months ago

@FEDUP99001234 wrote:
I know you think you know it all- thats the issue with our society- but I know the issues. You obviously do not even though you get some ego kick out of trying to argue with me over something you know nothing about. If ATT said originally that I qualified for the BOGO and renegged
, then it is not bc I didn't have something I needed. Please go be an arrogant know it all elsewhere and stop harassing me. By the way, ATT has finally acknowledged their mistake after going to arbitration on this. Lesson to learn for others is document and save everything to be able to prove your position. They were in the wrong as I said. You don't know what you are talking about, despite thinking you know it all. Now please go away and try to learn some humility.

I’m trying to figure out a comment like, “Well that puts your purchase a long time back.  The unlimited data plan requirement has persisted since April. ” illicits a very nasty response from you.    I would have expected a , “yes, we bought on March 31”.  But no.  🙄.  

🐾 I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

“Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part” 🆘 Dont expect normal any time soon.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 months ago

First of all nowhere in my original comment did I say anything about what type of plan I have. You start making assumptions and trying to tell me what I did wrong and argue about it and try to tell me my response is nasty. {keep it courteous}

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

6 months ago

@FEDUP99001234   Then don’t post on a community forum.  Anyone who can manage to follow the rules (which you are not doing very well at) can post here.  
You are also NOT the only person posting on this thread.  Yet you are trying to make this all about you.  

MicCheck

ACE - Expert

• 

8.7K Messages

6 months ago

@FEDUP99001234 wrote:

By the way, ATT has finally acknowledged their mistake after going to arbitration on this. Lesson to learn for others is document and save everything to be able to prove your position. They were in the wrong as I said.{keep it courteous}

I apologize; I didn't notice you had reentered the conversation. My comment about the unlimited plan was meant to be to someone else. 

I doubt you've gone to arbitration over something that had "just happened" on October 2nd. Regardless, if AT&T has resolved the issue, why are you still posting and why are you still so outraged? Seems like you got the problem solved pretty quickly. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

My case goes back to Black Friday 2017. I spent over six hours on the phone understanding every part of the bogo for the iPhone 8 64G. I was told I would buy a phone get a phone free and after three months on a plan I could pay off what was owed on one phone and get the other phone for free. After spending hours on the phone I was told no you have to keep a plan for 2 years.  So they have had me on an iPad plan for the free iPhone which is still in the box. And there is no iPad. This was to meet their agreement which was not part of what they originally told me. Every month I have to call to get a $29.17 credit off the $42 bill they give me for the bogus iPad line which is really the iPhone line.  Throughout the course of two years the rules have changed. Whoever I get on the other end of the phone is libel to tell me something different each time I call.  The right hand certainly doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. I have one more month to pay and then they will unlock the phone so I can move it to Sprint. I can’t stand AT&T. They are not honorable and they don’t care anything about Customer Service.  I definitely got a bait and switch.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

5 months ago

@0french0 wrote:

My case goes back to Black Friday 2017. I spent over six hours on the phone understanding every part of the bogo for the iPhone 8 64G.  Did you read the deal online?  It doesn’t take 6 hours to read.  
I was told I would buy a phone get a phone free and after three months on a plan I could pay off what was owed on one phone and get the other phone for free.  Close, you buy TWO phones and the second on a new line.  You can only pay off installments on the buy one, not the get one.  To get the second phone free, the BOGO agreement requires you keep the new phone line active, and continue to lay on the installments.  Simply put, no installments, no credits.  

After spending hours on the phone I was told no you have to keep a plan for 2 years.  You have to keep SERVICE on both Phone line, but you can pay off the buy one.  

So they have had me on an iPad plan for the free iPhone which is still in the box.   You are required to have a PHONE line, and purchased phone installments.  WHY is there an iPad plan on a line that had to be a new phone line?  
And there is no iPad. This was to meet their agreement which was not part of what they originally told me.

An iPad line in no way meets the requirements as published online.  Published requirements are very clear.  

Every month I have to call to get a $29.17 credit off the $42 bill they give me for the bogus iPad line which is really the iPhone line.  Throughout the course of two years the rules have changed. Whoever I get on the other end of the phone is libel to tell me something different each time I call.  The right hand certainly doesn’t know what the left hand is doing. I have one more month to pay and then they will unlock the phone so I can move it to Sprint. I can’t stand AT&T. They are not honorable and they don’t care anything about Customer Service.  I definitely got a bait and switch.

Who and how was an iPad line used?  The requirements call for a new phone line.  And without activating the phone, the IMEI never gets corrected.  While current deals are different, the one that is constant is that a new phone line be added, and the free phone is purchased on that new line.  
   These deals, which all carriers offer, are not open to interpretation.  Please read them, with all the fine print, in the future.  It’s not that hard to understand, and doesn’t take 6 hours.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

5 months ago

Like I said before I have been with AT&T for about 20 years, and now finally tomorrow I will no longer be, as we will be moving all of our lines to Verizon.  Goodbye AT&T...

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

5 months ago

@LOYAL20   Verizon has rules too.  Don’t make the same mistake twice. 

• 

1 Message

3 months ago

very big scam ive been trying to resolve an issue on a BOGO promotion myself. ive spents hours on the phone and instore. so apparently the promotion i got was BOGO. after a month i paid off one phone but the get one free i a very confusing prosses but long story short i cannot pay off the get one free the company pays the instillments lol. So im stuck with att for 30 more months lol. they refuse to admit to me that its a contract. they blamed their employee for giving me bad information. but i guess thats my bad for not doing research myself. So anyways i trying going back into the store because ive been paying for the free phone and not been issued any credit. I dont get how a big company wouldnt be able to resolve this issue its been going on for a while. Id be interested to see how you resolved your issue

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

72.3K Messages

@Edhirahara, AT&T buy-one-get-one deals or phone discount deals all work the same as every other carrier.
It is no more a scam than any other carrier. Did you really think they are going to give you a phone worth several hundred dollars without a catch?
Silly

None of them are like buying canned peaches, where you buy two and you walk away with the second one for free.
All carriers deals are going to tie you to the carrier for 24 to 36 months. During that time, the carrier credits the installment for the agreed-upon amount.

Read your full Bill details. Then hop over to the sales page of any other carrier, read their promotional fine print. Learn things.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

9 days ago

I totally agree. It says buy one get one free. I added my sister to.my acct why do I have 2 Bill's. If I dont my corrections by April 19!, I'm going to file small claims & cancel my 20 yrs with AT&T.. I'm getting charged per line per cell. Wheres the freakin deal!!

• 

4 Messages

9 days ago

We should be gettin credit bck for the ATT Free cell scam.. ATT Helloooo!!! People are not working! Some have lost their jobs, school funding has been halted and your still charging people for late payments.. Phuckin shame on you ATT.

I've been with you for 20.plus yrs. I've dealt with yur over charging & secret taxes for way too long. And then you give people refurbished cells bck when the insurance should.pay for a new one. I'm gonna need to hear from a Rep real soon on this because my bill doesn't state that I have free cell !!!!
AT&T TV – All Your Entertainment In One Spot.  Learn more…