Announcements
Don’t miss your chance to add AT&T Protect Advantage. Peace of mind, starting at $15 per month. Open enrollment ends 3/31. See all protection plans.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thu, May 16, 2019 5:46 PM

BOGO SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

I added a new phone line on August 5, 2018, along with buying the new phone and was told that I could get a new phone for free, since they were running the special: add a new line, buy a phone and get a phone free.  I didn't need a new phone, but thought it would be dumb not to take advantage of this.  I wish I could turn back time!  They said that I had 2 weeks to come back in and take advantage of this offer if I wanted to.  I went back in on August 13th to get the "free" phone.  Since the September 13th bill I have been charged for that "free" phone!   So many hours have been spent talking to costomer service trying to get this corrected.  I just paid for the 9th installment of my "free" phone, it's so upsetting that the phone company that I have been with for over 20 years has turned to scamming and not caring about costumers!   I'm posting this in hopes of anyone being able to give me advice or perhaps AT&T seeing this and deciding that hmm, this is happening alot maybe we should value our customers and stop lying to them.  I'll give this a couple more months and if this isn't corrected then my kids and I will be switching over to Verizon where my husband has his cell service.

Responses

CayNet

Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

Sorry to hear about the hassle. When posting on this forum I am not speaking on behalf of AT&T, only giving my best attempt to help out fellow AT&T customers.

I want to see if I can identify what went wrong here, can you provide some additional information so I can look into it?

What phones did you purchase (make and model)?

Was the new line a brand new phone number, or was it ported from another carrier?

If it was ported, what company did you bring the line from?

Do you remember the name of the deal you were trying to take advantage of (if not, it's fine. I'll do my best to dig up what I can)?

Do you live in any of the following cities? Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Seattle, Philadelphia, and Boston

Thanks

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

9 months ago

@LOYAL20 wrote:

I added a new phone line on August 5, 2018, along with buying the new phone and was told that I could get a new phone for free, since they were running the special: add a new line, buy a phone and get a phone free.  I didn't need a new phone, but thought it would be dumb not to take advantage of this.  I wish I could turn back time!  They said that I had 2 weeks to come back in and take advantage of this offer if I wanted to.  I went back in on August 13th to get the "free" phone.  Since the September 13th bill I have been charged for that "free" phone!   So many hours have been spent talking to costomer service trying to get this corrected.  I just paid for the 9th installment of my "free" phone, it's so upsetting that the phone company that I have been with for over 20 years has turned to scamming and not caring about costumers!   I'm posting this in hopes of anyone being able to give me advice or perhaps AT&T seeing this and deciding that hmm, this is happening alot maybe we should value our customers and stop lying to them.  I'll give this a couple more months and if this isn't corrected then my kids and I will be switching over to Verizon where my husband has his cell service.

For the BOGO to be accepted and credited by computer, the phones MUST be purchased during the SAME promotional period.  Here is the list of dates in 2018.  

https://www.att.com/ecms/dam/att/consumer/help/landingpage/offers/Wireless-BOGO-Offer-2018.pdf

Note the BOGO deal on the 5th ended on the 9th.  By the 13th a different deal was offered.  

The reason they say 14 days, is because you can return a phone within 14 days.  To get the deal in the 13th, you had to return the phone, the add a line and buy the phone back with a second phone on the new line.  

The computer did not see requirements, and correctly did not apply credits. 

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
CayNet

Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

Not necessarily, lizdance. If they didn't qualify for the previous offer ( in this case, because only one phone was purchased) then they may qualify for the upcoming promotion if the promotion started within 14 days of the previous device being bought. AT&T offers this "price protection" to help customers that may have missed a BOGO offer by buying their phone too early.

However, the only deals that they would have possible qualified for at this point would have been 2018 Back to School Samsung BOGO which ran from August 10 to August 30, 2018 and only covered qualifying Samsung phones, or the Local Offer: 2018 Back to School BOGO which only covered select Apple products and the LG v35 ThinQ from August 13 to August 30, 2018 and was only offered in select areas.

For the first BOGO, they fall within price protection period (14 days before the start of the deal,) but were only eligible if they bought two (mixed and matched) of the following phones: Galaxy Note9, Galaxy S9/S9+.

For the second offer, again they were within price protection period, but they must live in one of the following select billing ZIP codes in the greater area of these cities: Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Seattle, Philadelphia, and Boston, and had to mix and match (within the same manufacturer) two of the following phones: If Apple: two iPhone 8, 8 Plus, X's or two LG v35 ThinQ's. To be clear, again, this was a regional offer in select Zip codes.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

9 months ago

@CayNet 

BOGO phones must be purchased during the same promotion.   

And if a phone is purchased during this 14 day price protection period, how does a rep process this?  By processing a return and repurchase at the lower amount?  

🐾 (The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
CayNet

Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

They have to bought during the SAME promotion, including the price protection. If a phone was purchased in this time period, a price protection escalation can be submitted to add the BOGO to the account.

CayNet

Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

Quoted from resources...

"Price Protection Period: Qualifying purchases made in the 14 days before an offer started can be recognized by submitting a Price Protection escalation"

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

9 months ago

@CayNet wrote:

Quoted from resources...

"Price Protection Period: Qualifying purchases made in the 14 days before an offer started can be recognized by submitting a Price Protection escalation"

In 5+ years I’ve not heard that term, and I would say it’s not being done when it should. 

CayNet

Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

Price protection is generally taken care of automatically by the system. If it's not done manually, it will be caught on the next system sweep and automatically be added to the account.

Since I started at AT&T, I have not had a single call about a missing BOGO related to failed price protection application. Indeed, the system is more robust than people think, and 99% of the time, if a credit is missing, it's because a requirement was not met.

Price protection is a courtesy offered by AT&T. The customer is still encouraged to buy their phones during an active promotion, and to not count on a promo coming up in the next 14 days to take advantage of one. 

That being said, mistakes do happen, or a promo is missing due to a system error. But not once have I seen, nor heard, of one missing due to systems failure to apply price protection when warranted.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

What phones did you purchase (make and model)? We purchased the IPhone 8 Plus 64GB and the IPhone 8 plus 256GB was the "free" one 

Was the new line a brand new phone number, or was it ported from another carrier?  A brand new phone number

If it was ported, what company did you bring the line from? N/A

Do you remember the name of the deal you were trying to take advantage of (if not, it's fine. I'll do my best to dig up what I can)?  I don't know the exact name of the deal, just that it was if you got a new line along with buying a phone for that line you got a phone for free, and if the phone was a higher price than the one you had bought for the brand new phone line then you would pay the differance.

Do you live in any of the following cities?  No, I live in Colorado and that's where we got the phone's.

Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Seattle, Philadelphia, and Boston

If you can help me I would be so grateful!!!!!!!

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

I went thru and read everything that you both posted and it's sounding as if perhaps we were told wrong information from both reps in the stores on August 5th and August 13th and then again each of the times that we have called into customer service and have been told that they see what we are talking about and will get it corrected, which has never happened.  

CayNet

Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

So, at this point, the only offer you were close to qualifying for was the July 2018 Bogo. This is the only offer that 1. Covered the devices you purchased, 2. Wasn't a regional offer, and 3. Didn't require TV or Internet service through AT&T. Unfortunately this offer ended on August 12th, 2018. A day before you purchased the second phone. Price protection will cover you for phones bought up to 14 days PRIOR to the start of the BOGO (because you couldn't have know one was coming and AT&T wants to make sure you don't lose out because of that.) But an offer end date is the LAST day you can participate in an offer.

If you DO have DirecTV or Internet through AT&T you may qualify for the 2018 Fall Back to School BOGO which ran from August 13th - September 13th, 2018. You would be covered by price protection, and this offer DID cover the Apple iPhone (BOGO: Buy one must be iPhone 8, 8 Plus, or X. GO is iPhone 8 64GB (higher priced variants receive a max credit of $700 over the term of the installment.)

The only other offer running in this time frame was the 2018 Back to School Samsung BOGO. It didn't require TV or Internet, and ran from August 10-30th, but only covered select SAMSUNG phones. So you didn't qualify for this offer.

So really, the only offer that you may be eligible for (with an ICU case escalation) is the 2018 Fall Back to School BOGO if you had DTV or Uverse TV / Internet AT THE TIME (or within 30 days) of the promo.

If you didn't meet those requirements, there really isn't much that can/will be done. The terms for all of AT&Ts offers are listed online and reps see so many offers come and go (typically offers disappear without warning, the day the offer ends) that it really is important to make sure you meet the requirements of the offer before buying your devices. From the date range you provided and the info you have given it seems that you may have been told / tried to get the July 2018 Bogo, and because the offer ended the day prior to you buying your phone, the agent may have not realized that the offer had ended at that point (especially since a new bogo had started that same day that was very similar to it, but had the additional requirement of TV/Internet service.)

Again, if you DO have DTV or Internet, depending on how the account is setup, our system may not always see that. If that IS the case, then I highly encourage you to call 611 or 800-331-0500 and provide this info to the agent.

1. You have not received your credits for the BOGO offer.

2. The offer you qualified for was the 2018 Fall Back to School BOGO.

3. You DID have TV/Internet service at the time of the BOGO.

4. The promo ran from August 13 - September 13, 2018, so you would be covered by the price protection period of 14 days prior to the start of the offer.

5. Ask them to submit an ICU case with that info included so the proper offer can be recognized and credits can begin.

If you did not meet the TV/Internet requirement for that offer, then I apologize for any misinformation that may have been given, but I don't want to waste any more of your time by telling you someone will fix it, because there is nothing to fix. You did not meet the requirement, and no back office team, or system, will apply the credit. I've only seen that attempted once, and as soon as the system noticed the missing requirement the promo was removed from the account automatically. (Sweeps happen aprox. once per week, sometime more often.)

Please note, if you did have TV/Internet at the time, you do have to retain that service or credits will cease.

I hope the info I have provided has helped, or at least provided some clarification on the issue. I really hope you had TV at the time so you can get your BOGO offer.

Either way, before switching (if you didn't qualify for the offer) I do think it would be a great idea to contact customer care (611) and asking for our loyalty department. AT&T hates to lose customers over misunderstandings and they would love to help you in any way they can.

Thanks and take care.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 months ago

This has just happened to us as well!  AT&T had a BOGO offer and the pending hit my card and I bought the phone and picked out the BOGO the last day of the special.  They decided not to charge my card and kept it pending until AFTER the BOGO was over.  The original contract I signed AT&T “cant find” and they claim I never picked up the phones they are charging me for!!!!!  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 months ago

Similar situation Loyal20.  

We were told that the credit would not take effect until the 3rd billing cycle.  I even confirmed with a call a week after my wife upgraded to confirm and they said yes.  It is not now until the 6 months since the offer that we were told that we had to switch to an unlimited plan as well, which the sales representative never told my wife. Now after several chats and elevating this issue through the ranks, every step long the way, ATT has essentially say their hands are tied and they can’t do anything because the promotional period has passed.  

Disappointed in them.

• 

2 Messages

This just happened to me as well. Same excuse - I didn’t qualify because I wasn’t on an unlimited plan.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

@RebB Unlimited data plan has been one of the requirements for about 10 months.

• 

2 Messages

That was NOT communicated to me nor was any type of documentation or rules.

lizdance40

ACE - Sage

• 

70.3K Messages

4 months ago

@K9avery   This is why you should always read the offers yourself.  
all deals require a qualifying unlimited data plan.

https://www.att.com/buy/phones/

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 months ago

Thanks but you dont know what you are talking about - so dont assume I didnt read the details. I met all the qualifications of this deal. The problem is on ATT side and they even acknowledged upfront that I was eligible and assured me it was just going to take a few months for the BOGO to kick in. ATT likes to do unethical bait and switch tactics with their customers and needs to be investigated for fraud and abuse!!!!!!