For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
returnmymoney's profile

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

Wednesday, August 15th, 2018 10:38 PM

Being Billed for Service after Cancellation and After transfer to another carrier.

I discovered a charge of $62 on my credit card.  I no longer have Att.  I am on the phone but unable to get anyone to help me even figure out why I have this charge.  It will now be in the hundreds of dollars for no services.

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

They couldn't tell me initially. I forgot to answer after I did some more digging. When I first called, they showed no devices registered to me. After a second call, they determined it to be a tablet. 

You seemed bound and determined to equate the non disconnection after requests to be ultimately my responsibility.  I believe it is the responsibility of the company to disconnect after a request (multiple in fact) has been made. We are at an impasse. I will let you know what the result will be. If they decline responsibility , I will cut off I internet service and not reconnect direct tv. I hear they have enough customers that it won't matter to them at all.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@returnmymoney wrote:

You seemed bound and determined to equate the non disconnection after requests to be ultimately my responsibility. 

Ultimately, you kept paying. For obvious reasons, I think people need to check to see that things happened the correct way.

When I get a new cable TV plan, I check to see that they gave me the right plan and the bill is correct.

Why? Because if it's wrong it's going to be WAY more trouble to fix later than taking care of it now (as you well know).

When I get a cheeseburger at the drive-thru I make sure it's really no pickle and no mustard BEFORE I leave, because while it was their responsibility to make it right, when I start eating and it's wrong then I'm going to be the one inconvienenced.

I believe it is the responsibility of the company to disconnect after a request (multiple in fact) has been made.

ABSOLUTELY!  But if they don't, who is it a problem for? Them or you?  

This is where your responsibility to check afterwards seems pretty practical. 

No, you don't need to check that dozen eggs at the store to see if all 12 are unbroken, it's their responsibility to sell me unbroken eggs, but what happens when I get home and I have broken eggs?

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I prefer to think of this situation as a company standing behind their goods and services.  For example, I just received a vehicle recall notice. By your thought process, it is not the responsibility of the manufacturer to notify me of any errors,  because it is mine now and I should just be checking.  I, obviously disagree and am grateful to those people that stand by their goods and services. If AT&T chooses to not be one of those companies , then so be it.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@returnmymoney wrote:

By your thought process, it is not the responsibility of the manufacturer to notify me of any errors,  because it is mine now and I should just be checking. 

1) If you take it in, you should check the paperwork afterward and make sure they did the work you took it in for and didn't just rotate the tires or change the oil.

B) So they notify you and you don't get it and you don't ever check to see if you're vehicle has a recall. If they mailed you a recall notice and you never responded, at that point is that their job or yours?

You're the one driving something that might be unsafe, not them. It's always worth checking.

I, obviously disagree and am grateful to those people that stand by their goods and services. If AT&T chooses to not be one of those companies , then so be it.

You want them to stand by the service of canceling. You want to make they cancel. 

BOTTOM LINE: Had you checked you would have saved yourself money and time!

Teacher

• 

9 Messages

6 years ago

I don't believe there should be time limits on honoring an agreement and doing the right thing. If in my job, I made a mistake and just said, "sorry, too bad, you should have made sure I was doing my job," I would be fired. I would have to make it right and that is all i am asking for.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

You are all lying at AT&T, you do have that announcement on your lines, today when I called to report the same issues I was told that my call may be recorded for training purposes. Today is September 15, 2018, I have tried to cancel my service for the last 2 weeks, but I was told I would still be billed for another month, but if I called at one minute after midnight on the last day of my billing period I would not be charged anything!!!! Well there is no one to answer your phones at 1 minute after midnight, just another way that you All at At&T can cheat and steal from your customers. I was no longer in a contract, and all of my devices had been previously paid for, but you still screwed me, AGAIN!!! You are the worst company in America with the worst service of any cellular company in America, yet when we tried to get help in the entire 4 years of having been STUCK with AT&T we got nothing for our thousands of dollars over those years, lack of service, slower than aol dial up, dropped calls, or no service to even make a call, and most of all we were told that our phones and iPad would not work with any other carrier, another high LIE to keep us under your spell. We will tell everyone we know not to ever TRUST AT&T and to switch to another carrier if they aren’t in your pathetic contracts. Your company and your slime ball ways of taking money from consumers without delivering any type of quality of service is going to come to an abrupt stop. Word of mouth and social media is a powerful source for anyone that has been screwed over by AT&T!!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@VictimOfScams, you can cancel at any time on the last day of the billing cycle to avoid starting another month of service.

Although, if your service is as bad as you claim, I’d think paying for the rest of the billing to switch immediately you be a small price to pay. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

We had tried that numerous times, AT&T kept telling us our phones and iPad were not compatible with any other carriers, besides they also told us to call one minute after midnight to cancel our services, that also turned out to be another lie!! 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@VictimOfScams wrote:

but if I called at one minute after midnight on the last day of my billing period I would not be charged anything!!!! Well there is no one to answer your phones at 1 minute after midnight, just another way that you All at At&T can cheat and steal from your customers.

How does that even make sense? It's clearly nonsense.

Why would one minute after midnight be cheaper than the minute before? And why stay up to midnight if you can call earlier?

You get billed every month, you can easily check your billing cycle to see when your cycle starts and ends.

yet when we tried to get help in the entire 4 years of having been STUCK with AT&T we got nothing for our thousands of dollars over those years, lack of service, slower than aol dial up, dropped calls, or no service to even make a call

Again this doesn't make sense, why would you stay a customer for FOUR years? It's not like they have a payment plan that lasts more than 30 months.

and most of all we were told that our phones and iPad would not work with any other carrier, another high LIE to keep us under your spell.

Do you think AT&T salespeople and reps keep track of what carriers their devices work on? What would be the benefit of that? To tell customers what carriers they could switch to?

Still not making sense.

We will tell everyone we know not to ever TRUST AT&T and to switch to another carrier if they aren’t in your pathetic contracts. Your company and your slime ball ways of taking money from consumers without delivering any type of quality of service is going to come to an abrupt stop. Word of mouth and social media is a powerful source for anyone that has been screwed over by AT&T!!!!

Tell them to practice some common sense with ANYONE they are signing up with (cellular, cable, etc.) and to read the website for details and check their bill for billing periods.

And if they want to know if their device will work on another carrier, either check with the manufacturer or the carrier that they want to switch to.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

6 years ago

@VictimOfScams wrote:

You are all lying at AT&T, you do have that announcement on your lines, today when I called to report the same issues I was told that my call may be recorded for training purposes.

"May be" means it might be, it doesn't mean it's saved forever.

"Recorded for training purposes" doesn't mean it's sorted and kept in a format to look up past employees calls by other customer service reps; doesn't mean it's kept anywhere very long at all.

And it does NOT mean YOUR call was actually recorded...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.