Need help understanding your bill?
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Thursday, March 9th, 2017 9:51 PM

AT&T won't unlock my iPhone

I was an original iPhone customer with the unlimited grandfathered data.  When AT&T announced another price increase on the data plan in January, I decided to switch to another carrier.  I received an email from AT&T stating that if I canceled my contract due to the price increase, the ETF would be waived.  I also verified this several times via chat with customer support prior to porting my number.

Fastforward to several weeks later, I ported my number and AT&T is refusing to unlock my phone.  The account is paid in full, and I haven't been charged an ETF (as far as I know), but they will not unlock the phone.  I have chatted with at least a dozen customer service reps and opened two separate cases to get my phone unlocked, and yet I am still unable to do so.  I even received an email stating my device was unlocked, but it was not true.

Everyone agrees that my ETF is supposed to be waived and that there are no outstanding charges on my account, and that my device is eligible to be unlocked, but ATT will not actually unlock it. I am at my wits end - customer service chat is outright lying about unlocking my device, and when I call the custimer service line, I get rerouted to non-functioning numbers and/or fax lines, or just hung up on. It's not just incompentence, there is outright deception.  However, it seems I have no options to resolve this other than buying a new phone and ditching the device I rightfully own.

Be forewarned - if you cancel your service due to a price increase in your data plan (as is your right), AT&T seems to hold your device hostage even though they are supposed to unlock it.  

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Since you have already deleted your profile, this is just for those who have the same problem....

Att will only unlock after all financial obligations, including paying your final bill are complete.   Because accounts are postpaid, it means a 2 week wait, or more, after you port out your numbers.

We recommend porting to Cricket, so you have phones and service for a month while this is done.

Please read the offer.  I suspect the OP ported before the increase and has not received his final bill, with the ETF that ATT will not waive as he didn't follow the offer...

DETAILED INFORMATION
Rate increase for grandfathered unlimited smartphone data plans
Details
Consumers and businesses are using mobile data at record levels and the trend is expected to continue. To help ensure we continue to provide the best service for all of our customers, a small price increase is being made at this time.

Customers who have a grandfathered unlimited smartphone data plan will receive notifications of a $5/mo. rate increase for the data plan. The rate increase will take effect starting with the customer’s March, 2017 service.

If you switch to a different plan you will not be able to switch back to your current Unlimited Data plan in the future.  Switching within ATT will not waive your ETF.

Important to know
This price increase will not impact your current unlimited data speeds. You’ll still be able to enjoy the nation’s most reliable network and will only see reduced speeds if you exceed 22GB of data in a billing cycle and are in a congested area. Learn more about reduced speeds for smartphone unlimited data plans.
Should you decide to cancel your wireless service because of the $5/mo. increase, we will waive the early termination fees (ETFs) for the lines impacted by the price increase, so long as you cancel within 60 days after the price increase first appears on your bill. However, if you enter into a new term commitment after receiving notice of this price increase, and cancel thereafter, you will be subject to the usual early termination/cancellation fee.

If you have an installment agreement, the remaining unpaid installment balance is due immediately upon service cancellation of the line to which the agreement is tied. This includes accessory installment agreements.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I ported out AFTER receiving the bill with the price increase and am in the exact same boat as OP.

1).Before porting I spoke with AT&T Customer Care who informed me that they would send a case on my behalf to to porting department with notes that I would be porting out due to the price increase. That unlock requeset was DENIED

2) Called back and spoke to another very nice rep who stated the first rep did everything correctly and he wasn't sure why it didn't go through. He suggested I go to the other carrier to start the port out process which would cause the system to cancel my contract and I'd be able to call in and unlock it. But...unlock request #2 was DENIED

3) Called back again. 3rd rep said because I already ported out and I have a contract on a second line that has nothing do to with the line that was ported or this phone that's being unlocked, I would have to pay off that 2nd phone before they'd unlock this phone? I of course mentioned that I only ported out at the advice of rep #2, so she agreed to open a third case, which I'm sure will also be denied. Let me have my phone!!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Hi Friends,

I am having the same issue. I called AT&T 2-3 weeks in advance before porting the number. I went over with the email content I received from AT&T regarding price hike and confirmed there won't be any ETF. Also requested device unlock. I had 2 devices (iphone 6s) which I bought for discounted price paid upfront with 2 year agreement (note - not on AT&T payment plan). AT&T unlocked one device and rejected request for 2nd one. I called AT&T for clarification. The customer service rep said just insert your new SIM card when you port your number to new carrier. Device will automatically unlock after that. I did that; however device didn't get unlocked. After this incident I created 3 more CASE request; everytime REP assuring me that they have done the correct way and this time back office will unlock my device. All those 3 CASE got rejected with same answer. I feel like going FACEBOOK/TWITTER route (I don't even have account on those sites; but feel like creating one just for this). Unless it becomes PR Nightmare; corporations don't want to treat the little guy. My simple request is - UNLOCK MY DEVICE.

- AT&T increased the price.

- AT&T stated I don't have to pay ETF.

- AT&T stated if you bought phone AT&T Next plan, you have to pay the balance. (This does not applies to me)

AT&T is going back on their words. One more example of corporation rolling out new pricing/contract terms; however employees not trained to handle implementation of those policies. 

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

7 years ago

@unlockmydevices wrote:

Hi Friends,

I am having the same issue. I called AT&T 2-3 weeks in advance before porting the number. I went over with the email content I received from AT&T regarding price hike and confirmed there won't be any ETF. Also requested device unlock. I had 2 devices (iphone 6s) which I bought for discounted price paid upfront with 2 year agreement (note - not on AT&T payment plan). AT&T unlocked one device and rejected request for 2nd one. I called AT&T for clarification. The customer service rep said just insert your new SIM card when you port your number to new carrier. Device will automatically unlock after that. I did that; however device didn't get unlocked. After this incident I created 3 more CASE request; everytime REP assuring me that they have done the correct way and this time back office will unlock my device. All those 3 CASE got rejected with same answer. I feel like going FACEBOOK/TWITTER route (I don't even have account on those sites; but feel like creating one just for this). Unless it becomes PR Nightmare; corporations don't want to treat the little guy. My simple request is - UNLOCK MY DEVICE.

- AT&T increased the price.

- AT&T stated I don't have to pay ETF.

- AT&T stated if you bought phone AT&T Next plan, you have to pay the balance. (This does not applies to me)

AT&T is going back on their words. One more example of corporation rolling out new pricing/contract terms; however employees not trained to handle implementation of those policies. 

Have you paid the final bill? Even though you don't have to pay the ETF (based on what you've told us) there still might be additional monthly charges that are due, which must be paid before the phone can be unlocked.

Teacher

• 

25 Messages

7 years ago

@unlockmydevices, my situation and "experience"(more like a nightmare dealing with CS) is very similar to yours. 2 devices with UDP. Ported out on Mar 30th. Should have either done before my cycle date of Mar 24th or waited till Apr 24th. They unlocked 1 iPhone. 2nd iPhone will be unlocked once final bill is generated on Apr 28th(3-4 days after bill cycle date), paid, request sent 24 hrs after full payment. So, I am expecting somewhere around May 2-3.

I have talked/chatted to various CS agents and Advanced Tech Support. They either say you are not eligible because you broke contract, so have to pay ETF; OR, they agree that you don't have to pay ETF and it can be unlocked right now and log a case, which is always denied. Nobody says wait till next bill cycle, there is no other way(which I am assuming is the only way based on expert opinions, will know more when the time comes). 

Let me know what your bill cycle date is and when you cancelled/ported and it will give you a fair idea on when your final bill will be generated. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.